Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PleaseBro

To everyone complaining about a lack of steel, just start on mountains with caves and there will be lots of steel veins you can see. You can always move colonies later and now there are so many things you can uninstall and move with you it's not even hard.

Ser Kitteh

So all this talk about armor made me realise something:

The art for the simple helmet and the advanced helmet are waaaaay too similar.

Whereas you can very much tell the difference between a flak vest to a flak jacket, or a simple helmet to a power armor helmet, you can't say the same with the simple and advanced helmets.

Also, as others have noted, the sides and back of plate armor looks funky. Needs a rework.

Suspicious

I have had 3 experiences with Scythers so far:

1st experience, ship part landed in a marsh. Had 4 people armed with 2 lmgs, a bolt action and a pump shotgun. Two sycthers spawned with other mechanoids I can't recall. The two sycthers didn't do too well in the marsh.

2nd experience, ship part lands near entrance of my base. Sent one pawn with a sniper rifle to bait them out, had two pawns wait by the bunker by the entrance. 2 sycthers spawned, my only experience with their speed was in the aformentioned marsh and them wandering now. Since the Sycthers weren't engaging the sniper, I sent the two other pawns closer to try and help. The two Sycthers almost immediately engaged with the two pawns, me underestimating their speed. Luckly I had an attack cougar on standby to slow the Sycthers down (godspeed, magnificent bastard.). Sycthers where fine to deal with after some space was put inbetween.

3rd experience, crashed ship and Tribal raid at the same time, a self solving problem. Sent someone to shoot the ship part, one Sycther and one Lancer. Since the tribals attacked from two angles, it was 6 v 2 between mechs and tribals. Tribals had mostly recurves and shortbows. The Lancer took down 3, but the Sycther only downed one before being executed by the volley of arrows (and even then the one they downed was moving towards them). The tribals won against the mechs, but they were easy enough to clean up afterwards.

In my experience, the Sycther has so far been the least threatening of the trio. The Lancer's ability to destroy any pawn on a whim and the Centipedes ability make my bullets feel like pebbles make these two fights less preferable to a Sycther. Although, I will mention that I have only ever experienced no more than 2 Sycthers at once, and by the time I encounted them I had a decent armoury (LMGs, Assualt Rifles, a cheeky pump shotgun for the sappers.) I could definetly see the hilarity when I have to ditch my bunker from Sycthers only to be mown down by the rest of the Mechanoids.

Greep

"Can someone explain to me the difference between the hats and the difference between jackets, dusters, and parkas?"

Not sure about hats since I consider armor to be a bigger consideration for headgear.

Basically parkas are for cold weather and dusters are for hot or mildly cold weather, and jackets just kind of suck.  Dusters are also generally really good armor due to the coverage.

Also, you've convinced me to give caves a shot, they solve so many mountainous issues I hate (years getting initial setup, mining for steel causing area revealed, etc)

There's a few things I've learned in my tests that kinda show my mountain fort was pretty much doomed in the long run anyways:  turns out quality has a crazy difference in effectiveness vs bugs in melee, and deadfalls don't do enough damage to megaspiders, so without the usual cheesy tricks I was going to be doomed to fail since my crafter kinda sucked.  Additionally, poor infrastructure just utterly kills your sanity in mountains these days due to the high rate of outdoors needs increase, and I was just going to personally going insane dealing with it since I moved in too early.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Awe

Few suggestions about caravans.

1. Is it possible to add some kind of filter to show/hide some categories? A lot of corpses or tainted apparels on list is messy.

2. Need one more info coloumn to show sick peoples in caravan preparation menu.

3. Rewards mostly ok, but sometimes they are very strange - offer 2x2 legendary plasteel table for clearing 40+ raiders, or excellent uranium long sword for same 40+ for colony with almost 1 mil wealth.... sigh.

PS About scythers - looks balanced. Manageable if you prepared and deadly if they can caught shooters.

PPS Damn this nerf to armor. Speed debuff will lead to avoiding its usage and to reviving turret killboxes practice, because i dont want to fight with unprotected pawns and at the same time dont want to work while crawling. Im ok with paying maintenace price(detorriating even at peace time), im ok to play w/o cowboy hat buff, but this speed debuff is awful.

[attachment deleted due to age]

PleaseBro

Quote from: Greep on July 08, 2018, 10:42:57 AM
"Can someone explain to me the difference between the hats and the difference between jackets, dusters, and parkas?"

Not sure about hats since I consider armor to be a bigger consideration for headgear.

Basically parkas are for cold weather and dusters are for hot or mildly cold weather, and jackets just kind of suck.  Dusters are also generally really good armor due to the coverage.

Also, you've convinced me to give caves a shot, they solve so many mountainous issues I hate (years getting initial setup, mining for steel causing area revealed, etc)

There's a few things I've learned in my tests that kinda show my mountain fort was pretty much doomed in the long run anyways:  turns out quality has a crazy difference in effectiveness vs bugs in melee, and deadfalls don't do enough damage to megaspiders, so without the usual cheesy tricks I was going to be doomed to fail since my crafter kinda sucked.  Additionally, poor infrastructure just utterly kills your sanity in mountains these days due to the high rate of outdoors needs increase, and I was just going to personally going insane dealing with it since I moved in too early.

One of my colonists wandered into the caves on a drug binge and was downed (and died) and the other 3 with revolvers (2 excellent and 1 good, all from raiders) managed to kill the 4 mega's by taking them 1 by 1 (I did take some damage tho). I haven't had any infestations yet so we will see how that goes when it happens.

The cramped indoors thing is annoying for sure.

Franklin

Quote from: Tynan on July 07, 2018, 09:28:17 PM
Quote from: XeoNovaDan on July 07, 2018, 07:14:13 PM
.......flak jacket definitely needs a buff because right now, a bearskin duster is decisively the better piece of clothing to go for. Hope this is useful, and if there's any more of this sort of testing you particularly to see the results for!
This seems to be working fine. The thing is, bearskin is a lot harder to come by than flak jacket ingredients. Bearskin is a specifically "elite" leather type, so it's supposed to give great stats. IIRC it also does better in cold than flak.

You can mass produce flak because you can mass produce steel, cloth, and components. But it's hard to mass produce bearskin because farming bears is difficult and slow.

But scarcity shouldn't deem something's value. Chinchilla pelts are arguably very rare compared to steel, but that doesn't mean they should produce bullet-stopping armour because of that rarity.

The whole idea behind flak jackets being what they are, and requiring steel, is that steel could've been used in other necessary production. It could've been used to fix the defensive walls, or build a gun for the new recruit, or build a much needed generator. You make production compromises with flak jackets, power armour, high-end weapons knowing you're taking a gamble with your steel.

Bearskin and Chinchilla skin are rare, but that doesn't mean they're flatly valuable. Plus, from a player-clarity perspective, how many players do you think are going to assume 'bearskin jacket' is better in combat than 'flak jacket'? It's confusing.

If I can be blunt, I feel like this decision, and armours not hindering stats, and some quality weapons not impacting damage, is removing a lot of the sacrifice and compromise you need to make when taking production routes in the game. It's feeling a lot clearer scaled, and less give-and-take, sacrifice-and-gain when deciding what to wear, what to build, and what to work towards.

botaxalim

(1) while the game get to right direction, find balance to all game aspect and how to play for every players
i feel overwhelm with many type of skin/leather in this game, its too hard to compare the variation of skin
unless i open wikipedia or guides out there, i know the game have deep crafting table
but this is bad for new- or 100ish hours player
i hope there a tier or category for each skin/leather present in the game
like light - medium - heavy leather, so player can differ
which one best for heat / winter season ?
which one good for speed and small protection ?
which one good for protection?
i hope there more information in game about every types of leather
or makes every types have pros or cons so there no best in slot leather/skin clothing

(2) another suggestion, maybe add another event which is more fit for early - mid or endgame
its getting stale same stuff happen every x days and its just become chore when the story teller just adding number for every same encounter. Most community here gladly giving idea what event is going to add good for this game

(3) about caravan stuff, well i know developer still working on in,  so dont worry about my rant. i dont know how other ppl play it, but for me i just ignore all the quest outside my home base area. its not worth the risk, and even the reward is very good i dont think we can finish the mission without losing limbs. If dev can balance this later, i hope there is incentive to go out there doing Caravan quest, not sitting around in base , waiting wealth /colonist/turret skyrocket. since caravan is the best way make new story for this game, we should go out and scavenge stuff out there. Probably every biome have unique Resource , forcing player to get resource on different area/biome

dnmr

my animals keep triggering IED traps now, what's up? First a llama died but who cares about that, it probably had dementia anyway. But then a cat blew up, there's no good reasoning for this one :(

PleaseBro

Request for 1.0 can you please add some buttons on workshop bills page for drop on ground or take to stockpile. Kinda annoying you need to go into details page which also pauses

lwki

Tbh I really liked damage being affected by all qualities.
I'm all for more stats increasing or decreasing depending on item quality, it gave more depth to creator's skills, instead of just making crafting shorter and giving a bit more accuracy.

Sangerwolf

Quote from: Tynan on July 07, 2018, 09:37:50 PM
Seeking other feedback on the scythers, if anyone has some experience. Too easy? Too hard? Just right?

Scyther's seem pretty good so far, they are really deadly, sometimes chopping off body parts in the first hit...  It would be really mean to give some variant of them body shields wouldn't it though? =P

erdrik

There should probably be a filter or tracker for how much work was put into a crafted item while under the influence of inspiration. I was making a set of plate armor, but ran out of wood to refuel the smithy with only ~50 work left.
After I got some wood, the crafter got inspired, finished and produced a set of masterwork plate armor.
The crafter's skill is 11, and the last two sets she made were of normal quality.

I can definitely see an exploit where players halt the crafting process with less than 20 work remaining and just wait for the crafter to get inspiration before finishing it.

Maybe inspiration should only count for work that is at most 50% complete or less?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: erdrik on July 08, 2018, 12:44:10 PM
There should probably be a filter or tracker for how much work was put into a crafted item while under the influence of inspiration. I was making a set of plate armor, but ran out of wood to refuel the smithy with only ~50 work left.
After I got some wood, the crafter got inspired, finished and produced a set of masterwork plate armor.
The crafter's skill is 11, and the last two sets she made were of normal quality.

I can definitely see an exploit where players halt the crafting process with less than 20 work remaining and just wait for the crafter to get inspiration before finishing it.

Maybe inspiration should only count for work that is at most 50% complete or less?

I thought as soon as you built/crafted/operated/etc. on something the inspiration ends?

Syrchalis

Quote from: PleaseBro on July 08, 2018, 12:37:22 PM
Request for 1.0 can you please add some buttons on workshop bills page for drop on ground or take to stockpile. Kinda annoying you need to go into details page which also pauses
I agree, maybe add two small buttons above/left of the amount with symbols for this purpose.

Mockup:

If you want the item to go to a specific stockpile you have to use details, but since this functionality is probably rarely used that's fine. Dropping on floor on the other hand is something I use A LOT.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.