Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerial

Feedback on my current colony so far:

Storyteller:  Randy
Difficulty:  Rough
Biome:  Boreal Forest
Hours played in the last 3 days: 4 hours

I play at a glacial pace so I'm only into the second quadrum but so far the early game feels about right.  I've had 3 raids of what I felt were appropriate strengths and was able to capture 2 prisoners as well as let one die who I could have captured but didn't want.  There have been a couple of injuries but nothing permanent beyond a scar.

One of the biggest things I've noticed is that my best shooter (who is a 9, no passion, careful shooter) hits his targets about 2/3 of the time, which is wonderful.  He can hunt effectively and has been able to (mostly) take down raiders before they could reach him.  This seems improved from both B18 and early 1.0 but could just be my perception.

My first added colonist was a fleeing refugee who was addicted to luci.  She's got great skills and has been instrumental in getting the colony up and running, and now that her luci stash is depleted I've sent her caravanning to see if she can buy any more.  The nice this is that the colony is stable enough that I feel like I can afford to try to keep her rather than just banishing her as being too big a risk.

I have 3 boars and a turkey (self-tamed).  The boars are helpful in combat, though so far they've mostly been involved in taking on manhunters because they haven't been well-positioned to join in on raid defense yet. 

So, so far so good. 

madmario

I think story tab is a good name for the tab named as such.  Sure, it's a little counterintuitive at first.  But the name, and that it is a little counterintuitive, stresses that the game is about stories.  When I click the tab, I think, "what was this guy's story now?"  Sometimes, an intentional error can create emphasis.  Intentional sentence fragments, for example.  Makes the reader pay more attention to the idea. Same thing here.

Toast

I don't have strong feelings about the quality "ladder" but I DO like the choice to remove Shoddy and Superior as even with hundreds of hours of playtime I had trouble remembering whether they were better or worse than the qualities next to them. IMO their removal does not impact play at all and makes the system more elegantly streamlined. I feel the same way about the compression of fifty different leather types into about ten. There's still enough diversity to keep things interesting but it's removed a lot of needless clutter.

iamomnivore

It finally hit me that I've not been seeing the Global Work Speed bonus from Mood. Is this intended? I have colonists at very high moods, gaining no benefit. I remember a very real GWS benefit to having very good mood. Mood is not an easy thing to keep up, beyond moderate to pretty good. Getting it up that last 25% usually takes quite a bit of effort. Would it be possible to evaluate the pros/cons, on the development side, of returning this feature? As it is, I feel like getting everyone to a middle ground and keeping them above breaking points is "good enough." There's no incentive to go beyond, for me at least. Others may have a different take.

With the Lavish Meal changes and other changes to the recreation system, this might be a fine addition back into mood management. Why work hard for full mood (excepting the gourmands and drug bingers) when they're just fine at 50-75%, in just about every case in 1.0? Any thoughts, on this, from other users?

Lanilor

Storyteller:  Cassandra
Difficulty:  Survival struggle (tribal start)
Biome:  Arid flat
Hours played in the last 3 days: A lot, maybe 35-40 hours

- After I got a few animals (7-10) and let them graze on the whole map, there are no wild trees spawning anymore. I guess it comes because the animals eat enough grass to prevent the new regrowth system from spawning bigger plants. (There is pretty much nothing else than grass and dandelions.)

- Animals nuzzle around half as much as the stat says. I got a few cats joining and wanted to try if it's worth to keep them (currently have 6). I let them stay indoor close to my colonists and check every now and then how many nuzzle buffs they have and it's around half as much as I would expect. Maybe it is because there is no colonist near when the action triggers so it cancels and that try is wasted. I did not look at the code, this is just how I experienced it ingame.

- This is the first time I play tribal in a long time and the first in 1.0 (I mostly played naked brutality). It doesn't feel much tribal. Mostly because raiders and traiders have guns and other non-tribal stuff, soI can salvage and buy them pretty quickly. Not sure if this is intended of cause. After a few weeks ingame, the main difference to naked brutality is just having no freezer and the longer research time and after I researched air conditioning, it now is more or less only the research. The biggest difference for me was that I couldn't build beds at the start.
I'm not sure how I expected it to be since it's quite logical to advance in techlonogy quickly because staying low-tech is not effective. I guess I expected just more low-tech and more difference to the other starts. Maybe it feels better (more authentic) with more role playing on a lower difficulty where efficience is not that important. I think many people would be happy when the game has more tribal stuff (and also more medieval stuff too), but I understand it's a lot work for not much value compared to other tasks.

- I find it half amusing but more sad that I haven't got a single crafting inspiration in around 300 hours 1.0 playtime. I got a dozen of shooting and walk frenzy ones and remember a few surgery and work frenzy. It's luck of cause but it starts to get to rediculous levels. I think the crafting inspiration might be a bit overhyped in general, but it is still a very good bonus and way better than some other inspirations (especially surgery and maybe trading). It would be nice to have some rebalancing here so it doesn't feel that bad to get the "wrong" inspiration. The problem is that some inspirations are highly situational while others are always useful.
Surgery is nice early when there is a situation to need it. Later with good meds it is almost useless. It even isn't a guaranteed success sind it is a fail chance factor.
Trading is also situational to get a reasonable value from it. You need to have it when you can actually trade and have stuff to trade with and on the right colonist.
My favorite is probably work frenzy since almost everyone can benefit a lot from that.
I could imagine doing the same as with the crafting inspiration to others would be good. Like "inspired communication" which gives a medium trade price bonus and also improves recruitment a bit for a defined time. Or "inspired doctor" for better surgery chance and tend quality. Walk frenzy could be an activity inspiration or "more alert" in the meaning that they walk faster and get a minor bonus on resting, so that even when it hits the researcher, he still gets some value from it.

- Still waiting to get a trade offer quest since I don't know how many hours. Even if they would be a small and not that benificial variant, it would be a nice addition and I miss them from the earlier days in 1.0.

- There is too less variance in plants. For example corn is pretty much useless now. It grows really long so an increased risk of blight/fire/whatever to not be able to harvest it and if has even a bit less yield than rice (with factored grow time). The fact that it can be eaten raw and stays longer fresh is not that impactful at all.
Strawberries have a too high rist of food poisoning, so that even the reason to grow them when you have no cook or no time for cooking is too risky.
Even rice has not much benefit compared to patatoes on normal soil. It's just that it is faster and has a minimal highter yield to grow time. Rice is good in hydroponics of cause, but that is something highly biome dependent.
Apart from potatoes everything has the same fertility requirements and sensitivity. There is potential for more variation and it's not that difficult for a new player to understand if that is the reason to simplify it. Like a plant that only grows on rich soil but has good yield, so people may take the risk an either build a base near a rich soil patch to secure it (but that area may have other downsides (like less natural protection)) or plant it far away and risk raider burning or animals eating it or need to build extra protection. Potatoes could be less effective on normal soil than rice. Berries should be useful too. Something to take the risk of food poisoning or no poisoning at all.
Has anyone ever planted dandelions? In theory I could plant them on sand for animals, but I can't create a growing zone on sand, so not possible. And otherwise haygrass is way more effective than dandelions as animal food. Or even kibble of cause.

- I like alpacas, they are cool. Sadly they are pretty useless now (considering one has access to other pack animals). I tamed some dromedaries and later alpacas wandered in, so I compared them which I want to keep. Alpacas are worse in every stat, apart from that they can be trained in release, but I'm not sure if anyone wants to send his pack animals in battle. I think alpacas have a higher wool yield, which is also not really useful currently. Elefants are also better as pack animals, they just have no wool and eat like crazy. (And they would maybe be the only pack animal I would send to battle since they are biiiig.)

- Speaking of animal training: 90% of the time I see my trainer training an animal, it fails on an around 50% chance. Maybe bugged, but I guess RNG just hits me here pretty hard like with the other stuff.

EdgarDruin

Storyteller: Cassandra Classic
Difficulty: Rough
Biome: Temperate Forest
Hours played in the last 3 days: 12-15 hours

Within seconds, one doggo addicted to Luciferium, the other has Cirrhosis from a massive alcohol tolerance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf978e0kclvsm66/luciferium-dog.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27hm7s9x227cqpp/alcoholic-dog.png?dl=0

First off, could my buddy, my favorite doggo please not take Luciferium.  As the screenshot shows, it was marked as forbidden.  Why doggo, why?

Second, if dogs are going to drink beer, could they at least do it socially like everyone else, pop the cap off and sit at the table so I know he's doing it.  There was no obvious animation / sound effect for him doing it, so until the warning that his liver was destroyed from his massive beer addiction, I had no idea it was going on ...

Yes, I could change them from unrestricted to a set zone and then I remove specific places that I store or have beer or any drugs from them so they don't come near them, but things drop all over the map from raiders and my dogs haul for me ... do I really need to police my animals so they don't consume these? :)

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: EdgarDruin on July 26, 2018, 01:38:22 PM

Even if you restrict your animals to a zone, they'll still occasionally consume some random thing - whether it be a meal instead of zone-microed kibble, or beer, or luciferium. The only real fixes to these problems are either to wall in your drugs completely, or not have animals in the first place.

That being said, the random eating is infrequent enough that you don't really notice it until you get over 50 or so animals.

East

Storyteller: Cassandra Classic
Difficulty: Rough
Hours played in the last 3 days: 12-15 hours

Within seconds, one doggo addicted to Luciferium, the other has Cirrhosis from a massive alcohol tolerance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf978e0kclvsm66/luciferium-dog.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27hm7s9x227cqpp/alcoholic-dog.png?dl=0

First off, could my buddy, my favorite doggo please not take Luciferium.  As the screenshot shows, it was marked as forbidden.  Why doggo, why?

Second, if dogs are going to drink beer, could they at least do it socially like everyone else, pop the cap off and sit at the table so I know he's doing it.  There was no obvious animation / sound effect for him doing it, so until the warning that his liver was destroyed from his massive beer addiction, I had no idea it was going on ...

Yes, I could change them from unrestricted to a set zone and then I remove specific places that I store or have beer or any drugs from them so they don't come near them, but things drop all over the map from raiders and my dogs haul for me ... do I really need to police my animals so they don't consume these? :)

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: merciless struggle
Biome: boreal
Hours played in the last 3 days: over 15 hour

Recently, I have been enjoying lightly rather than raising animals. I explained based on what I saw until the ending.(game version : 1.0.1964~1.0.1967)
drugroom : https://i.imgur.com/R6brYJr.png
animal inside zone : https://i.imgur.com/l3hgsFX.png
animal outside zone : https://i.imgur.com/cvpF6V9.png

I raised about 20 dogs. I took advantage of carrying dogs. And I set the zone. The accident never occurred until the end of the game.

If you set the zoning area effortlessly, the accident will hardly happen. If you see a drug with a little attention, carry it with pawn. Especially luci.

Do not exclude the only drug room from the area. Do not Let the dog go to the near hallway containing the drug room.

In my experience, if you eat it even though you have done so, it is an accident. I do not always want to completely prevent RNG from wanting to be relaxed to some extent with my efforts. By experience, it is similar to a car accident. It can be reduced, but it is impossible to prevent it completely.

It is a punishment if it is extremely damaging and there is no way to avoid it, but it is just an animal and you can avoid most of it. I need an understanding of how to do that. I'd rather suggest help or tutorials on how to do it.

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on July 26, 2018, 01:47:24 PM

The only real fixes to these problems are either to wall in your drugs completely.

Google translator interpreted the above sentence as a jar.

It is a wrong translation. But I thought it was a good suggestion. tynan can make jars or shelves that can hold drugs so that they can not be eaten by animals.

Lanilor

Some additions:
- I just got another shoot frenzy. On a melee pawn with 0 shooting and no passion. I thought there were certain checks that this doesn't happen. I get a lot inspirations this game since mood is quite high. I like it to see that higher mood than just above no mental break has an actual impact. It's just mostly shooting and walking inspirations
- Gifting stuff to factions for relation feels too cheap. I have not seen how much actual value an ally has, since I only have everyone neutral so far, but it should not take much time to get there for me. With only trading I'm at +40 for one outlander (a year in now) and just gifted stuff worth around 800 silver to the other outlanders so they are neutral now and I can trade with them too.
- I have no ancient danger on this map. Should this be possible? (It is really non there, not just hidden)

Madman666

Quote from: Lanilor on July 26, 2018, 03:04:01 PM
- Gifting stuff to factions for relation feels too cheap.

Its actually quite different depending on your play conditions. You can settle year-round Tropical rainforests, sow half map with hops or devilstrand and instantly befriend everyone, once beer\quality clothing is ready. Or if you're suffering through sea ice - you won't have anything you can spare for gifting. So no, i disagree that its cheap. It varies based on your conditions like many other aspects do and there no need to make it harsher. If you also take into consideration how easy it is to drop most of relations by asking them for help once and getting half their force killed (-5 for each corpse) - i see even less reason to think its cheap.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on July 26, 2018, 01:47:24 PM

Even if you restrict your animals to a zone, they'll still occasionally consume some random thing - whether it be a meal instead of zone-microed kibble, or beer, or luciferium. The only real fixes to these problems are either to wall in your drugs completely, or not have animals in the first place.

That being said, the random eating is infrequent enough that you don't really notice it until you get over 50 or so animals.

Not true .. I got 4 Retrievers and my only female was addicted to psychoid tea before the first year was over.

Storyteller: Randy Random
Difficulty: Hard
Hours played: about 8 for the game in question.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Syrchalis

Megaspider description:

"[...] while it's long deadly ripper-blades make it deadly."

For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Madman666

Actually speaking about gifting system - i'd really like if it actually tracked what are we gifting to a faction, slowly building up "tolerance" to said item. So you won't be able to just befriend a faction through crapton of beer, but will have to make it various wares and resource to keep gifts being at maximum of their effectiveness.

Going even further it would be much more intersting and immersive if each faction had some kind of hidden light economic system emulation affecting things such as:
- Prices
- Availablility and quantity of certain resources offered for trade
- Effectiveness of certain items as gifts
- Trading markups

So the game would be able to generate a situation when a faction had poor harvest for example and the player could help it out improving relations massively. If such a system existed, you could tie some trading quests to it, so said faction would have a bigger chance to spawn a trade request that asks for foods. And etc. IMO that would be a lot more interesting than "the more relations you have, the less next gift will net you". Thats just boring.

Just my thoughts on how trade\gifting system should be.

mastertea

Storyteller:  Cassandra
Difficulty:  Extreme/Permadeath
Biome:  Temperate forest/Flatland

I just completed a game and here are some of my thoughts and tips during the playthrough. So I took the advise from another commenter and played the game through while trying to stay as poor as possible, only collecting and making the bare essentials needed to survive the wasteland of rimworld and oh boy, did it work. I'm not should if it was the fact that I saved a lot of time not collecting unnecessary amounts of resources or/and the staying poor makes the storyteller throws you easier raids.

Gameplay and thoughts:
Kept a single freezer room all game, it had 10x10 zone for food and dead animals.
Kept most of my food as dead animals as it didn't count towards my wealth and takes up less room. Most of the playthrough, My freezer was half filled with dead animals.
Used a nutrient paste dispenser through most of the game. NPD completely eliminates the chance of food poisoning, doesn't need a pawn with good cooking skills which frees up an extra worker. It also cost less food to make meals. NPD needs to be nerfed or changes to how food poison works because it happens way to often even with sterile tiled kitchen and a high level cook.
The only use for cooking skill was for making psychite tea and beer, you can't get food poisoning from making drugs yet.
Kept a single storage room for most of the game, it had 10x10 zone for general suff.
I tried to kept any stock item below 500 by building alot of floors and walls. I looked into the game code and found that buildings only add half of its total value to your wealth so building some stuff can actually make you poorer. I don't think floors tiles even count towards your wealth.
The only animal worth having are dogs with zero wildness and that can haul. Everything else need to be killed off or sold or best, put into a transport pod and send it off as a gift. This ofcource includes puppies as there basically useless for a year and thanks to how the game difficulty scales actually makes the game harder. Disadvantages of keeping baby animals far outweight the benefits it will provide in the long run. I think baby animals need to provide some sort of benefit other than waiting a year to eventually get another useful animal. An example could be to give a massive increase chance in bonding rate with baby animals.
Only disassemble mechanoids when I needed the materials. Mechanoid corpses don't add to your wealth.
Built mostly wooden door in my inner base. Built all stone walls. outer doors were steel. Wooden doors open faster and its market value is way lower than steel doors.
I don't like how fabrication bench cost a butt load of component when it is used  to make components.
Ship cryposleep casket cost way too advanced components.
Devilstrand is not that much better than the flak set so its not really worth growing it if you colony is already outfitted with flak armor.
Transport pods are secretly one of the best research you can do right now. They is an exploit you can do with transport pods right now listed in exploit tips section. It also my favorite way get rid of all the extra garbarge laying around and get friendship points for it. Makes you poorer aswell. At some point in the game, I started having too much plasteel and gold making me more rich than i wanted to be so I used a transport pod to dump it.
I sold everything that wasn't essential to make myself poorer. Silver is the only item that is equal to its market value making it the only item not over inflated in value.
Art is not worth making unless you have "Inspired creativity".
"Inspired surgery" has never been useful. It basically does nothing.
I wish shelfs were 1 tile instead of 2 and the default storage filter should be set to nothing instead weapons.
I created and installed alot of bionics parts on my pawns thinking that installed bionic parts don't add to my total wealth. Haven't comfirmed this yet.

Battle tips:
In early raids, you can shoot raiders until there have about 10 hours to bleed out and just stay in doors until the bleeding downs the raider, this is an easy way to increase your capture rate early game. This also bypasses the chance that an enemy dies instantly when there get downed.
Always capture any raider that can be saved. You don't need to recruit them however you can release them for friendship points. This is important for making the game easier. First, if you convert enemies to allies you remove them from the potential raid pool, increasing chances other enemy tribes raiding you however if you were to friend everyone, the only raids left would be pirates and a high chance of mechanoids. You may think mechanoids are bad however there are by far the easiest raids to deal with. To deal with mechaniods I wait until there separate and pick them off.
Centipedes and Lancers can't shoot if a single pawn is meleeing them down there also very weak at melee range. Friendly fire is so unlikely to happen in the latest build of rimworld so feel free to use the rest of your pawns to get close and just shoot them down. Scythers are deal with like any other raid, just shoot them down and use doors to prevent them from getting close. For crashed poison/psychic ship, I build a small stoned room (1x1) with doors on each side about 8-10 tiles away from the crashed ship, the room shouldn't directly be placed inline with your base. I then setup a pawn with a gun that can shoot the ship and send him into to the room. After at my base, I make sure the mechanoids have a open path to attack one of my pawns. This is an important as you want the mechanoids to find someone there can directly attack on the map. Now the setup is completed, you use the pawn in the small room you built early to shoot the ship from one of the side doors. Once the mechanoids spawn, run back inside and wait until have another chance to shoot the ship safely again. At some point, the mechanoids aggro to your base with the open path you setup early. Eventually, the mechanoids with be out of range from shooting the pawn inside the small room and the mechanoid's aggro will still be on the pawn at you base. This is the point where you must auto shoot down the ship to maintain mechanoid's aggro on your base. After all this you just do the same thing I describe early.

Exploits tips:
This is a old exploit I used during the playthrough. I had a pawn that had an addiction and chemical damage to the kidney and I want to get rid of him. I drifted and arrested him and left the door "OPEN" in the prison cell so he could "ESCAPE" without giving my pawns the banish thought debuff.
Another exploit I found out makes the game way too easy. First, you research biofuel refining, microelectronics and transport pods. Second, you build comms console and transport pod. Third, you load a transport pod with things you don't need, it has to be somewhat valuable and lunch the transport pod to another faction for friendship points. Once you've given them enough stuff to become allies (80+), you've completed the third phase. The four phase is waiting of a raid to come. When it does, just use comms console to call for allies to help which cost 20 friendship points. You can do this up to 4 times in the same call if your friendship points are at 100. Now just watch while your allies do all the fighting for you. Your allies will easily out number any raid. Once the raid is over, rescue any down allies to get some friendship points back and collect all the garbage that was dropped during the raid fight, use it to repeat the third phase again. There you have a repeatable cycle to make the game easy. Side note, I tried to do this on a quest map by lunching a pawn with the materials to build a comms console and a charged battery and it didn't work.

That all I can think of right now. I plan to play a harder biome in my next run.

[attachment deleted due to age]

spyderwebsc

Pirate merchant has a slave for sale that is the same person I have locked up in the jailhouse.

[attachment deleted due to age]