Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 21, 2018, 06:03:00 PMThe floors on a map are about the worth of 2-3 starting colonists.

It's worth noting that while this is true in terms of raw wealth, colonists contribute to threat points in their own special way (which is also related to wealth). Plus there are other modifiers related to time (early game ease-in for the first 40 days or so) and recovery, as well as various specially-tuned minimums and thresholds in play. Basically the system is somewhat complex and very often incorrectly simplified down to something like "points=wealth*constantFactor" which really isn't even close to the truth.

Much of the theorizing happening here is based on incorrect assumptions so it's not really adding anything useful to the development process. You're welcome to make another thread to discuss any of this but for this thread, let's please stick closer to play experiences and reduce the theorycrafting. Thanks.

Quote from: Tass237 on August 21, 2018, 03:02:44 PM
I would point out that the casual Rimworld player, (and as I would also assert, the TYPICAL Rimworld player) not only doesn't pay attention to how much wealth they are gaining as a numerical score, but many if not most of them are unaware of the fact that the game scales difficulty based on wealth.

Very good to keep in mind the gap between the kind of people who participate here and the mass of people who actually play the game (with the median playtime somewhere around 30 hours). This is why I love feedback from newbs so much, but ironically it's really hard to get!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

SharpSheep

Hi not quite a noob, but I have put away the game for almost a year. I must say the new world map interactions and relationships are great. I finally managed to survive the first year and I became invested in my colony after I went on a rescue mission where I learned that I was rescuing my colonist's father! It added to the tension and it was great to have a family reunion. I am not sure if these events happen consistently, I think they should.

If I had to give criticism, I would say I needed a bit more direction in the mid to late game. I was lost on what to focus on later in the game. I ended up here looking to see what others were doing and decided to "upgrade" my colonists with bionic parts.

All in all, I am having loads of fun. The learning curve is steep, but once you survive the first two years, you know you're over the main hump and the rest is tweaking. People who will enjoy this game won't be discouraged by this.

5thHorseman

Quote from: SharpSheep on August 21, 2018, 07:35:32 PM
If I had to give criticism, I would say I needed a bit more direction in the mid to late game. I was lost on what to focus on later in the game. I ended up here looking to see what others were doing and decided to "upgrade" my colonists with bionic parts.

In my experience there are 2 phases to the game: Ramp-up and ship-building. The second starts when you start to flounder in the first, and floundering in the first is likely the main reason for the existence of the second.

So if you're floundering, start building that ship!
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

MikeLemmer

I'm having issues with hunters quitting mid-hunt to return to camp for a meal. It's happened so often that now I'm keeping an eye on my hunters "just in case".

Could you ensure they're carrying a meal before they go hunt?

-----

On a different note, the amount of time colonists will spend on a prioritized task seems to vary wildly. If I prioritize cooking meals, they'll do it until they drop from exhaustion. If I prioritize mining, though, they'll barely chip away half a tile before they wander off to do something else. Could you lengthen the time they'll work on a priority task like mining or constructing multiple tiles?

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: Tynan on August 21, 2018, 05:11:13 PM
Quote from: roben on August 19, 2018, 03:48:35 PM
It happened again. I did not really play much since the last post and I can't remember another social fight occurring since then.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/nation-world/man-has-finger-bitten-off-during-melee-at-massachusetts-golf-course/507-585586890

:D
A finger is one thing, but I have had a b19 colonist bite anothers leg off in a social fight, lol.

erdrik

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on August 21, 2018, 10:33:32 PM
...A finger is one thing, but I have had a b19 colonist bite anothers leg off in a social fight, lol.
I mean, there are some situations in which that is technically possible.
Did the leg take other damage before being bitten off?

Also I don't imagine a "bite" attack to be similar to a punch, in that the head is extended and then withdrawn with no other actions. Its more like the target is grabbed and grappled, bit, and then the biting mouth is pulled back while the attacker holds the victim in place to enhance the tearing damage of the bite.

RawCode

social fights are okay.

don't forget, that very same people can kill grizly with bare hands, able to berserk and take down steel and stone doors with bare hands (and if hands are removed, by other bodyparts) without any self injury, can eat rotten bodies and perform neurogical surgery with sticks and stones.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Tynan on August 21, 2018, 06:33:05 PM
Very good to keep in mind the gap between the kind of people who participate here and the mass of people who actually play the game (with the median playtime somewhere around 30 hours). This is why I love feedback from newbs so much, but ironically it's really hard to get!

Same median playtime for civilization 5, same players/playtime shape as well, which is the sign of a game highly replayable. But i understand it maybe the luxury of a large studio to spend more human hours on the mid late game.

zizard

Does it matter if someone finds out that the urgency to prepare for the next raid was all smoke and mirrors? After all, they probably got a fair number of hours out of the game. As long as it isn't too well known, sales won't be affected, especially this late in the game's lifecycle.

5thHorseman

Quote from: zizard on August 22, 2018, 04:42:55 AM
Does it matter if someone finds out that the urgency to prepare for the next raid was all smoke and mirrors?

I don't recall the game urgently prompting me to prepare for the next raid. I learned that by playing and by being chronically unprepared for the next raid. I do not recall mirrors. There was very occasionally smoke though.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Alenerel

Quote from: Tynan on August 21, 2018, 06:22:14 PM
Quote from: Golden on August 21, 2018, 09:45:51 AMwhy then is there a "claim" tool in the game if it has no use.

Claim is a directive to your pawns to care about, repair, and use an item. E.g. your pawns won't repair things you never claimed and generally won't use them. There are some things about claim which are a bit odd (or the concept of buildings having factions at all given they don't have minds), but overall it's been useful.

Couldnt claim be removed and just use home zone to claim?

Namsan

I called help from friendlies.
But drop pods from friendly faction landed on a can of chemfuel, and it exploded!
This is very annoying.

I think player should have an ability to designate the location where drop pods will land.
So player can save themselves from tragedy like this.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Hello

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: erdrik on August 21, 2018, 11:21:51 PM
...A finger is one thing, but I have had a b19 colonist bite anothers leg off in a social fight, lol.

Also I don't imagine a "bite" attack to be similar to a punch, in that the head is extended and then withdrawn with no other actions. Its more like the target is grabbed and grappled, bit, and then the biting mouth is pulled back while the attacker holds the victim in place to enhance the tearing damage of the bite.
It is hard to say. I would agree that it is most likely the bite was the final blow. I only looked at the health screen after the fight, and it said left leg severed (bitten off). Still, the mental image of a person biting off an appendage with a large bone and several inches of flesh during a fist fight was amusing.

Blato

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on August 22, 2018, 09:00:43 AM
Quote from: erdrik on August 21, 2018, 11:21:51 PM

It is hard to say. I would agree that it is most likely the bite was the final blow. I only looked at the health screen after the fight, and it said left leg severed (bitten off). Still, the mental image of a person biting off an appendage with a large bone and several inches of flesh during a fist fight was amusing.
I don't know how pawns (and animals in that case) choose which attack to use when fightning weaponless, but it would be fun if a pawn with the cannibal trait would use the bite attack much more often than usuall  :D

East

Quote from: Tynan on August 21, 2018, 05:11:13 PM
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/nation-world/man-has-finger-bitten-off-during-melee-at-massachusetts-golf-course/507-585586890
:D

If you find an article, you will see more guns in a social fight. But do not put a gun on a social fight in the game. It's too dangerous.

At the lower stages of social struggle, we only care about fast recovery.
But beyond a certain level, that's a problem for us.
Once a stage is a permanent injury, death or recovery takes a great deal of time.
It does not matter if you can not control or prepare it at a lower level. But beyond a certain level, you need a counterpart that can prevent it or reduce damage.

Whether or not you have gone beyond a certain level is a matter of concern.
Consider a specific level.
Could it cause permanent injury or death?
Can it defeat the game?
Does not it take too much time to recover?
Are there too many targets to influence?

I think the current social struggle is going to go beyond that level. You need to give the counter part or lower the risk.