hope about a longstanding bug

Started by Ashardalon, June 22, 2018, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashardalon

is the random undrafting bug fixed in v1.0?
it makes holding the line impossible for any length of time
as soon as they undraft they are no longer in combat, so they are no longer blocking the path which means the enemy floods trough and the game is over
and its not like you can do anything about it or predict this completely illogical behaviour
no needs, in the middle of punching an enemy, just stops combat and walks away for no damn reason
this bug has been in the game for several versions and as far as i know/can find there is no mod to fix it

please look into fixing it before v1 goes into stable

edit: ok, i did find a mod that fixed it
but that still doesnt change the fact that its a horrible bug that needs fixing

Prince Kasta

I don't think that is a bug, it is there to prevent you from killing your pawns by forgetting to undraft them.

ashaffee

Are your colonist set to fight instead of flee? I can leave my guys there all day and if there are targets they will stay put. Same goes with the melee guy. But my guys are constantly getting moved around. It is a pretty long time before they will leave order. All you have to do is select all and undraft them and draft again to refresh all their clocks to suit your play style if you have very long fights. Another thing you can do is make a restricted area just for your kill box area. Make the allowed area only the place you need them to stand and set them all to that before combat.

Ashardalon

there are several warnings before you kill them with drafting
first starvation, then exhaustion and im pretty sure they will just collapse before dieing
its not a valid reason for it

setting to aggressive ends in things like an entire colony unloading on a colonist that breaks during a wedding
its dangerous
and sometimes you dont have the luxury to of moving around and undrafting and redrafting while its paused doesnt fully reset the timer
for example how my colonist is holding the line against an almost infinite swarm of bugs, the moment he undrafts, even if its less then a second that is a moment where he isnt blocking the path and my non melee pawns get eaten
the zone restricting could help a little even if its clucky and still wont make him block the path, again resulting in bugs slipping past and my ranged pawns getting eaten

if its a feature its the worst in the game that has no purpose for anyone but youtubers as blind as northernlion or worse
it shouldnt be in the game, and if youtubers are important enough to leave it in atleast have an option to turn it off for people who do have eyes and an attention span

BlackSmokeDMax

Most likely you need to make a new post in the suggestions sub and ask for a toggle to allow/disallow the auto un-draft. Pretty sure it is working  as intended currently.

Jibbles

You're not alone Ashardalon.  There's been several posts about requesting a toggle for it so they're aware.

Canute

Quote from: Ashardalon on June 23, 2018, 04:37:35 AM
there are several warnings before you kill them with drafting
first starvation, then exhaustion and im pretty sure they will just collapse before dieing
its not a valid reason for it
Why do you think this got added into the vanila gameplay ?
Because other less expierenced, less warning attended player forget some pawn somewhere at the map until they needed a rescue.

Like previously mention, pawn's only undraft when there isn't any enemy at fighting range.
Since you know about this, you just could select your "line" at all, and undraft/draft them so they will remain there for another time drafted.

Ashardalon

Quote from: Canute on June 23, 2018, 05:18:41 AM
Why do you think this got added into the vanila gameplay ?
Because other less expierenced, less warning attended player forget some pawn somewhere at the map until they needed a rescue.

Like previously mention, pawn's only undraft when there isn't any enemy at fighting range.
Since you know about this, you just could select your "line" at all, and undraft/draft them so they will remain there for another time drafted.
as mentioned, people undraft while in melee with insects if the combat lasts long enough
literally just been bitten, decides nah im just going stargazing... 8 more insects flood trough and eat the faces of the rest of the colony
if its intended to only undraft when no enemies in range its not just a bugged concept but also bugged in execution
and draft undraft doesnt fully reset the time, it ads a few seconds

this shouldnt be a thing
less experienced players might also forget to plant crops, should food just magically appear or should the game automatically make grow zones you cant delete?
less experienced players might not make clothes, should the game force you to make a crafting spot and make everyone on crafting 1 without you having a say in it?
mistakes like that are the best way to teach
yes i have killed a pawn with drafting once apon a time
thats why that never happens to me now, life lessons
just like measuring out how big i dig rooms in a mountain, you only crush a pawn so many times before you start measuring things properly