[MOD REQUEST] Gainable traits through "events"

Started by Grillbye, August 10, 2018, 01:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grillbye

Hi ! Let me explain the title here: In Vanilla Rimworld there is no way of gaining traits from experience that happened in a colonist's life. The only exception being recently on B18 where 2 of my colonists gained the "Desensitized" trait after living with only cannibal colonists, that kept killing and butchering humans.

But that's when I thought "Hey, that should be a feature for others traits!" For example, in current Rimworld game, giving human meat to non-cannibal colonists will result in them being sick (and unable to move) for quite a time but they will never become cannibal. Likewise, a colonist (assuming there's still a free slot for a trait or two) gardening a lot never get the "Green Thumb" trait, unless he/she had it at the creation of the colonist. And for children? Imagine those who have Children and Pregnancy; with a mod adding traits depending on what happen around the colonists, or what we make them do, traits should be earned depending on their slots space (though in the playthrough I talked about, one of the colonists that got the "Desensitized" trait now has 4 traits..) and life experience. Imagine a young colonist around 20 that's perfectly normal, and with time, he started to kill a lot of humans and kept seeing death so much, he became Psychopath.

I really think that could be a good idea (For B18 and 1.0), if there was any way to make such a mod. If there is, that'd be cool ! Or, if such a mod already exist, could I, please, get a link, or a name ? Thanks a bundle !
Prisoners? Don't wanna keep them? Eat them! ALL of them.

Canute

I was too lazy to search a mod for your, but after i read your posting at general and with cannibal i remember something.
A quick search for cannibal  at the release forum gave me
[B18] Bad People
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41303.0

Grillbye

Yeah, that's kind of what I was searching for, but not only for the Cannibal trait, at the beggining :p though that one's very helpful too !

5thHorseman

I support this fully. One of the key aspects of storytelling is that people change over time.

A misogynist can soften if experience teaches him (or her). Likewise, 2 or 3 bad experiences could turn one that way. It'd be cool if this could happen in the game.

I'd be far more willing to take someone with chemical interest or fascination if they could somehow lose it. Hopefully not in a gameable way, and maybe it'd have to be something like while they were baked a friend died or a friend with chemical ______ died during a particularly bad bender.

I feel it'd need a letter though. It's easy to not even really notice traits to begin with, most people (myself included) wouldn't notice them changing all that much.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Grillbye

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 10, 2018, 07:46:17 PM
I support this fully. One of the key aspects of storytelling is that people change over time.

A misogynist can soften if experience teaches him (or her). Likewise, 2 or 3 bad experiences could turn one that way. It'd be cool if this could happen in the game.

I'd be far more willing to take someone with chemical interest or fascination if they could somehow lose it. Hopefully not in a gameable way, and maybe it'd have to be something like while they were baked a friend died or a friend with chemical ______ died during a particularly bad bender.

I feel it'd need a letter though. It's easy to not even really notice traits to begin with, most people (myself included) wouldn't notice them changing all that much.

Yep, I totally agree. For the noticing part, I think there could be a notification or a mood bonus/malus depending on the trait, just like I got on Vanilla Game with the  "Desensitized" trait. Most of existing traits (assuming there is an available spot in the traits list) should be earnable during a colonist's story, so a mod could fix that, mostly if some people like me, like playing in an... IMMERSIVE way. But so far I haven't find anything like that yet.