What if these 0.19xx build numbers weren't random?

Started by Grapplehoeker, August 12, 2018, 05:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grapplehoeker

The idea that's been buzzing around the back of my head was what if these haven't been just random number allocations that resemble years.
In fact, what if they haven't been just random years either... what if these are milestone years in the exploration of space?
For example,
Sputnik 1 first satellite in 1957
Yuri Gagarin first man in orbit in 1961
Mariner 2 flyby of Venus in 1962
Valentina Tereshkova first woman in space in 1963
Apollo 11 mission first moon landing in 1969
The Mariner mission to Mars in 1971
Mars 3 First signals from Mars surface in 1971
Mariner 10 flyby of Mercury in 1974
Voyager 1 and 2 launched into deep space in 1977
Voyager 1 flyby of Jupiter in 1979
Pioneer 11 flyby of Saturn in 1979
STS1 first reusable manned spacecraft in 1981
Venera13 first Venus soil samples in 1983
Voyager 2 flyby of Uranus in 1986
... we are currently on build 1987 (nothing of note happened in this year) and the next historical landmark is 1989 with the Voyager 2 flyby of Neptune.
Of course my imagination may well be jumping to conclusions, but man, it would be very cool indeed if Tynan was indeed using historical landmark years for his build numbering convention ;)

Canute

Like a good conspiracy people you allways can find anything behind any number you just need to look deeper ! :-)

Grapplehoeker

Oh I wouldn't call it conspiracy theory, but it certainly falls into pattern recognition.
Development of human psychology owes a great deal to it and so for that, we as a people, can all be grateful for it ;)

5thHorseman

Or maybe there have been almost 2000 builds of the version (About 1950 of them we didn't see) so that's where they happen to be now.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

erdrik

Quote from: Grapplehoeker on August 12, 2018, 05:18:59 PM
Oh I wouldn't call it conspiracy theory, but it certainly falls into pattern recognition.
Development of human psychology owes a great deal to it and so for that, we as a people, can all be grateful for it ;)
Its also the primary reason people think they see things that aren't really there.
Which is also something to be grateful for(artwork and creativity), but also extremely careful and skeptical about(misinformation and fanaticism).

Jdalt40

Actually no, the 4 digit version number is in reference to the number of days since Tynan's first release of Rimworld. You can work this out by dividing the current version number by 365.25. Tynan has been working on this for over 5 years now.

Jdalt40

In early Alphas the build number was around 300-500 depending on what Alpha you are on. The build number is only of course updated everytime he posts an update to the game

5thHorseman

Oh. Well that's... interesting. Not normal but many build numberings aren't normal so at least it's easy to follow.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Peto2

It is possible. It is not probable. I mean, if you search deep enough, you could find almost anything somehow related behind these years

Scavenger

I'm pretty sure Tynan has discovered a way to calculate the date of the apocalypse, and is trying to subtly share it with us without letting the government catch on.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Jdalt40 on August 13, 2018, 02:01:03 AM
Actually no, the 4 digit version number is in reference to the number of days since Tynan's first release of Rimworld. You can work this out by dividing the current version number by 365.25. Tynan has been working on this for over 5 years now.

This is the correct answer. Tynan has stated (somewhere) that it is for each day he has worked on it. I would find the exact quote, but I have been following most of his comments for several years and would have no idea where to start.

Good thought though.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Mufflamingo

IIRC he said in his videos/posts that the number signifies tge number of days he's been working on rimworld. Its on the 17xx patch. (I think)
Bleeeee. . . . .