[1.0 - 1.3] T's Mods (New floors, bed colours, crops, meals, and cotton tweaks)

Started by Telkir, June 29, 2014, 10:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

METATERREN

Nice addition of variety for creating a nice base in a lightweight mod

Loki88

Is it possible to get something like barn board floors added? Sort of like an equivalent to the vanilla concrete floors. Cheap and fast to build, but have neg beauty? Using steel to make the concrete floors as it is more or less a finite resource ( minus trading ) wood is awesomely renewable :)

cucumpear

Quote from: Loki88 on October 09, 2015, 12:47:01 AM
Is it possible to get something like barn board floors added? Sort of like an equivalent to the vanilla concrete floors. Cheap and fast to build, but have neg beauty? Using steel to make the concrete floors as it is more or less a finite resource ( minus trading ) wood is awesomely renewable :)

I love this idea and second the request.  :D Something like gravel with slightly lowered walk speed would be awesome too, but that would only really make sense if it's possible to make it out of any stone available.

Secondly, would it even be possible to make a checkerboard floor like marble/slate or sandstone/limestone actually requiring both types of stone to construct? Because I love putting in checkerboards, but the simple stone slabs don't have that much beauty.

I adore the hex tiles and use them constantly, thank you!  ;D
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear

Telkir

Hey, thanks for the kind words and suggestions!

For the barn board flooring - shouldn't be a problem, it's just a case of finding a good texture for it. Perhaps with some shenanigans I can adapt something that isn't tiled... I'll see what I can come up with!

Gravel flooring - leave it with me. I have a plan... :P

As far as chequerboards with different flavours of stone go, hmm... I'm limited by the current Rimworld system. Random stream of thoughts:

Option 1 - see about thing-ified flooring. I'm against this because there's a big decrease in the prettiness of floors - textures repeat across 1 tile instead of over 16. Assuming the texture didn't look ugly that way, getting a floor to use 2 thing colours... I have a vague idea of setting that up but it might not work.

Option 2 - individual textures for every possible combination of stone chequering. This gets impractical really quickly because you'd have to add an architect button for each unique combination as well as having a specific texture for each one, bloating the download size.

Option 3 - a carefully chosen handful of stone combinations, such as the mentioned marble/slate and sandstone/limestone, would be the best way. Again it would need specific textures for each combination but there'd probably be no more than 6 good-looking combinations anyway, which is perfectly manageable.

I'll see about option 3. :D

Beathrus

Quote from: Telkir on October 09, 2015, 09:11:40 AM
Hey, thanks for the kind words and suggestions!

For the barn board flooring - shouldn't be a problem, it's just a case of finding a good texture for it. Perhaps with some shenanigans I can adapt something that isn't tiled... I'll see what I can come up with!

Gravel flooring - leave it with me. I have a plan... :P

As far as chequerboards with different flavours of stone go, hmm... I'm limited by the current Rimworld system. Random stream of thoughts:

Option 1 - see about thing-ified flooring. I'm against this because there's a big decrease in the prettiness of floors - textures repeat across 1 tile instead of over 16. Assuming the texture didn't look ugly that way, getting a floor to use 2 thing colours... I have a vague idea of setting that up but it might not work.

Option 2 - individual textures for every possible combination of stone chequering. This gets impractical really quickly because you'd have to add an architect button for each unique combination as well as having a specific texture for each one, bloating the download size.

Option 3 - a carefully chosen handful of stone combinations, such as the mentioned marble/slate and sandstone/limestone, would be the best way. Again it would need specific textures for each combination but there'd probably be no more than 6 good-looking combinations anyway, which is perfectly manageable.

Can we maybe get... hay floors? Like, not the green hay, but like yellow hay, along with the barn board floors? :/

TLHeart

Those would be straw floors, and require hay to build, with a yellowish brown color...

the texture for hay before it becomes a roll would be a good floor texture with the changed color.

Telkir

This seems like a good opportunity to do the last bit of HD conversion for wood floors (512px -> 1024px). Some of the wood floors seemed a bit out of scale, too, and handily the HDification seems to have fixed that. Hopefully the tiling of the textures isn't too noticeable.

Easiest quiz ever: Which of these do you reckon is the new barn board floor? :D

Loki88

Quote from: Telkir on October 10, 2015, 09:30:03 AM
This seems like a good opportunity to do the last bit of HD conversion for wood floors (512px -> 1024px). Some of the wood floors seemed a bit out of scale, too, and handily the HDification seems to have fixed that. Hopefully the tiling of the textures isn't too noticeable.

Easiest quiz ever: Which of these do you reckon is the new barn board floor? :D

I'll take #3 for 500!... Wait.. why can't I has? Not ready yet, or am I a dork?  :'(

Tekuromoto

Quote from: Telkir on October 10, 2015, 09:30:03 AM

Looks great - can't wait!

AHare

Quote from: Telkir on October 09, 2015, 09:11:40 AM

Since you've already got stone tile flooring with full-sized tiles, you could add a set that works as an overlay. Partly transparent, having only two tiles and shading for the underfloor.

Telkir

Quote from: AHare on October 10, 2015, 05:18:34 PMSince you've already got stone tile flooring with full-sized tiles, you could add a set that works as an overlay. Partly transparent, having only two tiles and shading for the underfloor.
On paper this is a brilliant idea and thanks for suggesting it! Having trouble making it work, though...

Is there any particular image format you know of that should definitely allow this? Sadly my testing so far hasn't been able to get transparency or alpha levels working at all. Can't see any XML setting that would help. I'm using 24-bit PNGs saved from Photoshop.

EDIT: Never mind. Pretty sure this is just a limitation of Rimworld that it doesn't allow for transparency on terrain textures. Boo. :(

Kolljak

Water supports... you cant walk on them but their buildable on water. then you can build floors on them.

Kolljak

Oh would this be to op? Glow in the dark flooring. or floor lights.

Telkir

Quote from: Kolljak on October 12, 2015, 12:08:49 PM
Water supports... you cant walk on them but their buildable on water. then you can build floors on them.

Oh would this be to op? Glow in the dark flooring. or floor lights.

Having a method of terraforming water is on my list of stuff I want to add for sure. Terrains can't emit light without DLL shenanigans as far as I know - I'm guessing that what you want is a way to have a lightsource on a tile without building a thing of some type in it? (Either a standard lamp or something from a mod like skullywag's additional lighting or jacob814's Ceiling Lights.) This isn't something I really want to get into at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Meanwhile, on update on floors! Here's straw and four flavours of chequered stone tiles. I made the barn board flooring have rough edge blending - the only wood that has it - so that you can get some suitably barn-y prettiness:

TLHeart

Got the checkerboard to work.

Now I can have proper barn floors, and that is a great texture on the straw.