[1.0 - 1.3] T's Mods (New floors, bed colours, crops, meals, and cotton tweaks)

Started by Telkir, June 29, 2014, 10:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Kenseng

If you're making growing soil, wouldn't it make more sense to compost down natural ingredients?  A Minecraft skyblock mod comes to mind - you make dirt by composting crops.

Is Soil really that precious to require otherwise?  By default gravel is 70%, and that takes a bloody ROCK to make.  I could see rich soil being harder to make.

falcongrey

Are all your mods suppose to play nicely with CCL (Community Core Library)?  I found all load correctly after CCL with the exception of 1 mod, Expanded Crops. It keeps throwing up the same error erisiah stated a few comments before when I add that one in:

Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Non platform assembly: data-1120D008 (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: data-10EDF018 (this message is harmless)
Config error in TCupboard: TCupboard has null thingClass.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Config error in TCupboard: TCupboard has components but it's thingClass is not a ThingWithComps

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Config error in TCupboard: TCupboard has null thingClass.

Config error in TCupboard: TCupboard has components but it's thingClass is not a ThingWithComps

No matter how I order it, unless I either remove Expanded Crops or CCL it will throw those errors and if I try to build the kitchen cupboard it will build it, throw an error when the work completes, and object disappears (bye bye 200 steel). All other mods seem to play nicely with it and CCL.

From what I read, CCL does tend to have a nasty habit of hiccuping on the 'slightest' thing off with other mods (RIP Pawn State Icons until fixed) so wondering if there could be something not defined or if everything is correct some way to make them play nicely?

This was tested with loading in each T-Mod 1 by 1 to find no errors popping up, then starting fresh again with CCL, CCL -Vanilla Tweaks both installed then added T-Mods 1 by one to find only Expanded Crops throws the error up. All mods can be added in with CCL with no errors except Expanded Crops.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Telkir

Updated with a small number of changes.

TMods 1.10.1
* Adds German translation for ExpandedCloth by Raccoon
* Fixes ExpandedCrop / ExpandedCrops-VHydroCompat to work nicely with CCL
* Possibly more robust compatibility in all TMods
* Terraforming tweaked to need only 5 geoform crystals per soil / rich soil

I'll start testing compatibility against CCL as part of my usual routine in upcoming versions since many mods seem to now require it. Thanks for the catch, falcongrey. :)

Quote from: hoochy on April 23, 2016, 11:37:03 PMGood points. I think the need for jade should be removed. Also when you think about what it is "doing" you should require 1 of a few things to upgrade soil. In real life soil is made up of a number of nutrients, so making it require say 1 gravel, 1 vegetable/meat and 5 silver to upgrade 1 tile makes more sense for me at least. As there is the time done "working" to get the ingredients, and to make, and then to put it down, which are all cost factors in making it "not easy".

Quote from: Jack Kenseng on April 27, 2016, 04:22:02 PM
If you're making growing soil, wouldn't it make more sense to compost down natural ingredients?  A Minecraft skyblock mod comes to mind - you make dirt by composting crops.

Is Soil really that precious to require otherwise?  By default gravel is 70%, and that takes a bloody ROCK to make.  I could see rich soil being harder to make.

I think the points we're all agreeing on with Terraforming as it stands are:
* It's an overly technological process to create basic / rich soils
* Gravel is too fertile
* Hydroponics are way more cost-effective than attempting to terraform for crop growing

So, what I'll try to do for the next update is:
* Reduce gravel fertility down to something like 25-50%
* New production method for soil / rich soil to include organic materials
* Existing geoform crystals instead used to create new tiers of super-rich soil (at least 200% fertility)

Thanks for the feedback so far and let me know if you think this is more along the right lines :)

Famous Shoes

Is there a way to add the Terraforming mod to an existing save/map, perhaps with a little jury-rigging?

Nanao-kun

Telkir

Quote from: Famous Shoes on May 01, 2016, 12:23:31 PM
Is there a way to add the Terraforming mod to an existing save/map, perhaps with a little jury-rigging?

If you had patience and a reasonable idea of where the water was within an existing colony, you could temporarily activate developer mode and replace the sand with water using the debug tools. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, the way Terraforming is done by XML means that there's no way to avoid sandification of water at the moment. It's perhaps something that CCL could help with and it's definitely on my list of things I will try to improve in the future.

Quote from: Nanao-kun on May 01, 2016, 01:22:45 PM
Has the scrap metal wall been fixed?

To my surprise, this just didn't seem fixable through XML, so no. :( I inspected some of the code that controlled placement of coolers and it seems to be related to hard-coding where only a def called "Wall" (i.e. normal stuffed walls) is considered a valid structure to build over. Scrap metal walls have a def name of "WallScrapMetal" and don't fulfil the "canPlaceOverWall" tag of Coolers.

EDIT: Perhaps you could logic it out by an explanation like this: scrap metal walls are just too flimsy to handle the weight of a cooler being installed in them :P

Nanao-kun

Quote from: Telkir on May 01, 2016, 01:46:28 PM

To my surprise, this just didn't seem fixable through XML, so no. :( I inspected some of the code that controlled placement of coolers and it seems to be related to hard-coding where only a def called "Wall" (i.e. normal stuffed walls) is considered a valid structure to build over. Scrap metal walls have a def name of "WallScrapMetal" and don't fulfil the "canPlaceOverWall" tag of Coolers.

EDIT: Perhaps you could logic it out by an explanation like this: scrap metal walls are just too flimsy to handle the weight of a cooler being installed in them :P

Ah, I see. It's just that stuff that takes notice of a "Wall" doesn't really work with the scrap wall; like, I can't have a door built if there's a scrap wall there. Or a vent.

I wonder if it's possible for something to be used as both an ingredient and for deconstruction at the same time. Deconstructing steel slag into scrap metal could be cool, especially with the Crash Landing mod, since that tends to provide a lot of steel slag/chunks.

falcongrey

Quote from: Nanao-kun on May 01, 2016, 02:08:16 PM
Quote from: Telkir on May 01, 2016, 01:46:28 PM

Ah, I see. It's just that stuff that takes notice of a "Wall" doesn't really work with the scrap wall; like, I can't have a door built if there's a scrap wall there. Or a vent.

I wonder if it's possible for something to be used as both an ingredient and for deconstruction at the same time. Deconstructing steel slag into scrap metal could be cool, especially with the Crash Landing mod, since that tends to provide a lot of steel slag/chunks.

First off, thanks for the CCL update! Yeah, I was actively trying to avoid CCL but some of the mods I've been using are now requiring it so glad it is added to the list (I'm sure it's a long one) of other mods to test against.

Next... (Sorry ahead of time for being long winded)
The one thing that comes to mind with the use of 'scrap metal' walls is when I was younger and actually built these kind of walls, they tended to not be very strong. To put something like a door or air conditioner into one of these kind of walls would require the wall literally being tore down first, the frame REbuilt to include the frame for a door, then the metal cut and nailed back into place. For it to support something like an air conditioner, a frame would ALSO have to be built into this wall and the same process repeated.

Sure, you 'could' cut the metal while it was still attached to the original frame then place the door frame into this frame and attach the metal to the door frame but from experience a new problem developed. The original frame actually became less stable. The only way I found you could keep the strength and stability was to tare off the metal, lower the frame to the ground, modify it for the new door frame, replace it back up, add metal.

I went through this lengthy description of my past experience with making a scrap metal fort with friends because it gave me an idea that you might be able to use to fix this issue with trying to place vents, doors, and air conditioners into these kinds of walls. Is there a way to say code if someone wants to place a door, vent, or air conditioner into one of these walls a way for it to queue sequence like this, the taring down of that section of wall then 'rebuilding' the vent, door, or air conditioner into the wall? Granted, this is likely going to require 3 new objects which would be like "Scrap metal Vent", "Scrap Metal wall with Door", "Scrap Metal Wall with Air Conditioner" in order to do this in a sort of 'work around' for the limitation.

Nanao-kun

It's worth noting that putting a cooler or vent into a regular wall in the game requires deconstructing that wall first. They just do it automatically, rather than the player having to order it manually like with the scrap metal wall. This allows them to do it quickly enough so it stays indoors without letting too much heat/cold escape the room.

panggul_mas

Telkir

I see Igabod has updated his Fast Floors mod, so I'll sort out the usual MoreFloorsFF compatibility download at some stage hopefully tomorrow.

Quote from: falcongrey on May 02, 2016, 02:12:27 PM... Is there a way to say code if someone wants to place a door, vent, or air conditioner into one of these walls a way for it to queue sequence like this, the taring down of that section of wall then 'rebuilding' the vent, door, or air conditioner into the wall?

Well, as Nanao-kun said, this would be the behaviour that happens automatically for normal walls. To make it happen the same way for scrap metal walls would require coding knowledge that's above my puny skill level, so unfortunately the scrap metal walls will just have to stick as they are for the time being. :)

Quote from: panggul_mas on May 02, 2016, 03:35:54 PMTelkir, could you please post this thread to the sticked A13 Mod release thread?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18353.0

Done!

Telkir

falcongrey

Quote from: Telkir on May 03, 2016, 02:21:21 PM
I see Igabod has updated his Fast Floors mod, so I'll sort out the usual MoreFloorsFF compatibility download at some stage hopefully tomorrow.

Quote from: falcongrey on May 02, 2016, 02:12:27 PM... Is there a way to say code if someone wants to place a door, vent, or air conditioner into one of these walls a way for it to queue sequence like this, the taring down of that section of wall then 'rebuilding' the vent, door, or air conditioner into the wall?

Well, as Nanao-kun said, this would be the behaviour that happens automatically for normal walls. To make it happen the same way for scrap metal walls would require coding knowledge that's above my puny skill level, so unfortunately the scrap metal walls will just have to stick as they are for the time being. :)

Haha! Puny!  ::)   
I can barely understand and follow the coding, now THAT is puny! You're quite skilled, T. Eventually I'll have a better understand and be able to start a small mod or two perhaps like I use to do with X3:TC and X3:AP.

MisterVertigo

Greetings! I just have a question about the Terraforming mod. It seems to be working great, but I have a couple of questions about how it all works.

At my stonecutting table, I can make rubble and/or gravel. It looks like rubble can be used to fill in deep and shallow water. When that is completed pawns can walk across it, but you cannot build on it. Gravel can also be used to fill in shallow and deep water, but you can build over it when it's completed.

The functionality I'm looking for is just to make it so I can "drain" water so I can build over that terrain. It looks like the gravel will do just what I need.

So, really, why would I really need to use rubble? Am I understanding correctly, or am I missing something? Thanks!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Draconicrose

More Beds is a decoration godsend! I have one tiny niggle with it, and that is that the new beds aren't compatible with More Furniture's rest-enhancing objects. I fixed this in my download of More Beds by adding the appropriate affected bys, but I don't know if this would throw an error for people who don't have More Furniture installed. Maybe there could be a compatibility version?
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist