[1.3] [KV] Configurable Maps [ModSync RW]

Started by Kiame, September 08, 2018, 11:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

"Configurable Maps" provides you with a number of configuration options that you can use to tailor the way your maps generate. Simply visit "Mod Settings" from the game's "Options" menu. You'll find three different sets of options for the mod.

(1) "Things" Settings:

You can alter the number of ruins and "ancient shrines" that generate on new maps. You can set them low, so you'll no longer find yourself starting the game in an area that looks like it might once have been someone's town square. Or you can set them high, so it seems as if you've landed in what was once a bustling city.

(Regardless of the settings, the mod ensures that buildings will be significantly more common among ruins than unattached wall segments, and that those buildings will be shaped more like rooms than like hallways.)

You can decide whether you want ruins to be constructed solely or primarily from stone types actually available on the map, or if you want them to be constructed from random materials (as in vanilla).

You can adjust the "biodensity" on new maps, to determine how thickly populated with plant and animal life the maps should be. These settings are, of course, relative to the base values for a given biome. Even a "sparse" tropical rainforest will have a much higher biodensity than a "dense" extreme desert or ice sheet.

(2) Terrain Settings:

You can adjust the amount of ore which generates on new maps, to make the game more or less challenging. You can additionally choose to disable "fake" ores, so that compacted steel, plasteel and machinery will not appear on your maps. You can also adjust the number of geysers, so that sources of geothermal power are easier or harder to find. And you can adjust the quantity of stone chunks scattered on new maps.

You can adjust the maps' "mountain level," perhaps so that flat maps have almost no rock outcroppings, or perhaps so that mountain maps have little open space.

You can adjust the maps' "water level," which will make lakes, marshes, and the like either more or less common. Note that this will not change the essential nature of a biome. Lowering the water level will reduce the size of marsh areas on boreal forest or rainforest maps, for example, but it won't eliminate them completely, and neither will raising the water level allow marshes to suddenly begin appearing on temperate forest maps.

You can also adjust the "fertility" of soil on maps, to adjust the relative amount of rich soil as opposed to regular soil.

Finally, you can adjust the ocean level on coastal maps. This allows you to control the amount of water which will appear on maps with coasts. At the one extreme, you'll have vanilla-style maps with just a small strip of ocean and a fairly small sandy beach on one edge. At the other extreme, you can now create maps that are almost completely submerged.

An additional checkbox allows you the option to disallow rocky outcrop "islands" from appearing in lakes, marshes or oceans.

(3) World Map Settings:

You can adjust the minimum and maximum number of stone types which can appear in a tile on the world map. You can also adjust the relative commonality of various types of stone, so for example, you could set your worlds to generate with lots of granite but very little sandstone.

(Note that these settings won't appear if you're also using "Cupro's Stones," as that mod offers more robust options regarding exactly how many and which types of stone you want to see on the world map.)

Steam

Direct Download

B19

GitHub

Compatibility:

Since "Configurable Maps" does nothing but alter initial map generation, adding it to or removing it from a game in progress will have no impact. It should be compatible with any other mods, except perhaps those that also modify terrain and map generation.

Credits:

Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf) - original author

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

The German language translation file was provided by Ludeon forums user Maculator. The Japanese language file was provided by Proxyer. Russian translation files were provided by Steam user "Чей-то друг."

rawrfisher

Cant wait to start my no resource runs again
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Hydromancerx

Tibo

Very useful mod, thank you for reviving. But unfortunately it does not work with 'mapreroll'. Mapreroll does not show rerolling maps. Can you do something with it?

sumghai

I've always been bothered by the abundance of ruins and rocky outcrops on what were supposed to be flat plains, so I'm definitely happy to check this out.

Thanks Rainbeau (dburgdorf) and Kiame!

Kiame

Kiame

Update:
I've addressed a number of issues brought up in the steam discussion.

I will look at the re-roll issue too

rawrfisher

Kiame I just glossed the comments and saw nothing about losing pawns when generateing event maps  In this case attacking an outpost.
Lost half my caravan and all my weapons including the ones linked via weapon storage.

Its possible I just need to update to fix this so gonna try that now.  Mentioning it just in case

https://git.io/fAamc  Update did not fix it but got a string of errors for ya to gloss over at the bottom

https://git.io/fAamW  If I just try playing afterwords this is what my log looks like.  Also the UI is compleatly hit and miss on visability

https://git.io/fAamm  Oh Kiame I found an extream edgecase for ya :P 

Situation where no pawns can spawn when starting a new game 8)
Professional jerk

Kiame

I've created a new game, created a caravan, and sent them to many different locations using Setup Camp and attacking other settlements. No problems.

Looking at the logs there's nothing pointing to Configurable Maps (CM) as the root problem. If you disable CM then load the save does the caravan arrive w/o issue? My guess is half way through loading the caravan there's an exception and the loading process stops which causes everything not loaded to be lost.

rawrfisher

I'll try disabling CM and attacking

Ok so it wasnt Cm causing it which means I need to heckle gouida about it >.>
The error is thrown by LTF engies in the caravan

Without the engie in I dont lose any caravan members but I still get a map gen error

Different note:  Whats your thoughts on that one error where pawns wont generate when starting a new map.  Note:  This is only possible in quickstarts or extreamly rare conditions on normal maps
Professional jerk

Kiame

Which log is the case where pawns are being lost at start? The last one about edge case?

Kiame

Update:
Removed the ability to adjust 'coast' settings. This greatly simplifies the mod and fixes a host of issues when generating maps with rivers and/or roads.

I will look into adding the setting back but for now it's out.

rawrfisher

The edge case one which is the one where pawns wont spawn.  I get it alot due to the water level settings which you already addressed lol

I did kinda misread your comment and been considering going back to being a shadow hiding in the darkest corners of the forums waiting to pop up to torment modders.
Professional jerk

Amnesiac

Absolutely love the mod, the customization is awesome and it pairs really nicely with Map Reroll to get an interesting map to play on. The plant and animal density settings are cool as heck.

I do have 1 criticism though, I think the default options should all be set to vanilla defaults.

I didn't know that the settings were not default when I generated a map that I already started to play on and enjoy, but now I'm not sure if I want to continue, as the Ruins and Shrines and such that were defaulted to "very low" may be important for the progression of the game, such as finding plasteel and Gold for building that research thing later in the game.

I think it's important for the settings to all be default so that things like this aren't changed when a stupid person like me doesn't edit all the settings before finding a cool map :[

rawrfisher

I enjoy games where theres no map resources or shrines.
Also changeing those settings will change how new maps are formed
Professional jerk