Worst 6 traits?

Started by 5thHorseman, September 26, 2018, 10:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thHorseman

I had an idea for a game, where I'd take 3 crash landed pawns who each had 2 of the worst 6 traits in the game. However, I'm not sure which 6 would be considered by the community to be the worst.

The "Big 3" candidates I have right now are:
Chemical Fascination
Gourmand
Pyromaniac

The possible ones to add that I have are:
Annoying Voice
Creepy Breathing
Wimp
Chemical Interest
Slothful
Slowpoke
Depressive
Volatile
Staggeringly Ugly
Psychically Hypersensitive

So, which 3 of the 10 possibilities should I put on the list? I'm leaning toward Chemical Interest and Wimp, and maybe Slothful? Don't know. I'd love to hear ideas. Also any really good arguments that the "Big 3" should NOT be on the list are welcome, but they'd have to be pretty good arguments.

Also, an actual ranking of 1-6 worst-best is ideal, as I'd like to match them up 1 with 6, 2 with 5, and 3 with 4, unless you simply can't like with Chemical Fascination/Interest.

My idea is that each colonist would have one of those big 3, and then 1 of the other ones as well, using Prepare Carefully to force those but nothing else, and just take the first pawn that maches the list. Then drop somewhere and see how they die.

I meant fare. See how well they die.

Damn it. How well they FARE.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

dragonalumni

top 3 in order
Pyromaniac
Gourmand
Wimp

conditional ones in no order:

the ones that make you freak out for the random psychic events
the ones that make you randomly try drugs and get addicted and useless
the ones that make you too slow to get back to base when you are attacked or there is a raid
the ones that make your work speed so slow that it takes 3 days to mine a square.

I can handle most of the conditional ones but I just save scum gourmands or pyromaniacs since it's game over at different stages of the game.

zizard

depressive volatile very neurotic

bbqftw

wimp isn't too bad to play around assuming they have less than 10% pain worth of pain scars. Very valuable trait, I rate it top tier actually.

interesting discussion though!!

my ordering would be, under typical play:

gourmand/pyro/chemfasc/volatile/depressive/chemint(maybe Vneurotic in this slot)

but this isnt the best for maximizing loss%! - I think pyro and chemfasc are overrated in this category if you really want some truly awful games. For this, I think picking purely negative or +breakthreshold traits, or picking a synergistic list (see the two I've prepared below), is more likely to ruin your game. I (and most other players) just dislike instabreaks because it discourages investing into said pawns. But really, the guaranteed breaks don't happen so often as to consistently throw a game.

Interestingly, if you go for very high mood tanking, gourmand and pyro start becoming potentially positive options since their only allowable breaks are food binge / fire starter (according to the defs files at least). So refined mood disaster list changes to:

volatile/depressive/vneurotic/toosmart/neurotic/pessimist

pretty boring list, but it avoids anti-synergies with the guaranteed break traits.

one potentially spicy option would be to pick abrasives + staggering uglies + creepy breathing + bloodlusts (bonus: head scars for disfigured and all the ex-es you can find) and go for multiple social fights a day. Then you got the mood problems covered because everyone is insulting each other and constantly in pain.

another spicy option is go for resource taxation where your colony is full of so many lazies and worthless that you cant get anything done. for this I would prioritize - gourmand / sickly / slothful / lazy / volatile / depressive. Gourmand is obviously an all star, this is the one I would pick for all 3, sickly gives you extra 'presents' every 2 months or so and further taxes your work output, slothful/lazy to make putting food on the table a challenge. The last 2 picks to round out the list aren't very synergistic, but honestly its hard to find things worse than +18% break threshold. Sadly these two traits are just so bad in all situations that conditional traits that I would otherwise pick to pressure your work output like greedy+jealous don't even come close.

what this discussion makes me conclude is that gourmand is by far the worst trait in the game!

lancar

In my current colony I rescued a Sickly on a caravan mission in the very early game. Figured he was better than returning empty handed.

Then i came back to my base with him and two days later he died from spontanously contracted plague & flu at the same time, the first of which also struck my starter pawn (NB, so she was easily the best colonist i had). She died 1 day later.

I am never taking a Sickly ever again.

5thHorseman

I started a Randy Savage* game with:

Pyromaniac with Psychically Hypersensitive
Gourmand with Chemical Interest
Wimp with Chemical Fascination

So far everything's been fine. We've doubled our crew and have 2 raiders softening up, and are going on our first caravan to save someone's sister from a sleeping mechanoid. I'm sure it will be fine.

Assuming it fails miserably I'll try some of the other ones as well.

I'm not doing anything special, though I'll tell you with two chemical folks I'm not going to be making any drugs that's for sure :D

*Need a little EXCITEMENT?
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

zizard

Wimp has anti-synergy with the break traits since you can punch them out.

Kirby23590

You want to see my worst trait list?

Quote from: The Worst Trait List
Volatile/Nervous. These have a nasty synergy with Neurotic & Too Smart Traits. Expect him or her to start frequent throwing tantrums or hiding in the room & turning him or her into a Yayo Addict

Wimp. For some reason can also appear with some traits that it shouldn't. Just make sure he or she stays far away & has a long-ranged weapon or stays in a safe room like the one with mortars outside or a panic room.

Chemical Interest/Fascination. Not only that they also have a high chance of becoming an addict to your Smokeleaf or you Yayo Products. Avoid their withdraw just keep the production what they are addicted to or just keep them in a cyrosleep casket or just kick them out if they become too addicted, Just waiting their addiction out might help but that means mental breakdown from him/her.

Body purist. When you give them a Bionic arm that replaces his or her missing arm. They will freakout alot & start throwing tantrums or angering fights in your colony in a berserk rage. Best to give them a simple prosthetic arm or just hope you get a Mech Healer if he/she's your best person working in your colony.

Sickly. Bad news for him or her, it's a waste of medicine if it's industrial or gliterworld medicine if he or she gets the worst diseases. Good news for your doctors to train their doctoring skills if your full of herbal medicine in storage in the clinic.

Pyromaniac. He or She might ignite your stockpile on fire or your Chemfuel Storage or worst if your colony is mostly made of burnable materials. When He or She starts a fire inside just beat him or her up with your Guards or just try to arrest him or her, A berserk mental break is much less worse than a one that start fires. Trust me either replace your stuff with non-burnable materials or separate your stockpile that might get set on fire & keep your Chemfuel storage somewhere that it won't explode. Otherwise just banish him or her Unless he or she's married or a relative to your one of your best guys in your colony. Or you just don't care.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Snafu_RW

One thing ppl seem to have missed is Frail (or Bad Back for the lesser version)..
Dom 8-)

mvargus

Quote from: Snafu_RW on September 27, 2018, 01:36:40 PM
One thing ppl seem to have missed is Frail (or Bad Back for the lesser version)..

those aren't actual "Traits", but modifiers due to physical issues.

As for me

I try to avoid chemical fascination/interest:  I don't usually run a drug production system, but I've had a few bad experiences with drug related breakdowns so I'd rather not have someone likely to raid what drug stocks I do acquire.

I hate slothful/lazy:  who wants needs someone who won't work hard.

I'm not a fan of the psychically sensitive types: they are much more likely to mentally break when you do get a psychic drone.

I'm not a fan of volatile/neurotic types: mental breaks are always a problem, who wants to make them more likely?

As for the others that have been mentioned.

Pyromaniac - I'll avoid them at the start, but I always build primarily in stone and prefer stone tile floors, so eventually my bases are largely resistant to fire.  They aren't a first choice, but I've had some very successful colonies despite having a pyromaniac in the colony.

Wimp - I'd never give one of these a melee weapon, but they can still help in the colony.  They are just a proxy for a non-violent type, although if you can give them a sniper rifle and they have the shooting they can help against raids.

Gourmand - frustrating, but I find I can live with them if necessary.

At least that's how I feel.

Swarx

pyromaniac isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, at least in my experience. same goes with chemical interest/fascination. if it gets out of hand, they go to jail for awhile.

my main bad traits are:

-wimp
-gourmand
-slothful
-staggeringly ugly

mlzovozlm

drugs provide a big propotion to my bases' income, usually, so chem. related traits 're worst for me

for pyromaniac, i can just draft 1 other pawn and subdue the fire immediately so not much problem

a wimp melee can be worst than a chem fascinated pawn, basically useless as combatant

lazy+slothful is next in order, for me, it's all about efficient+effective, all about being productive

i often spend heavily on bionics+archotechs, etc. so body purist is worst than all in long term

rkagerer

I'm playing a very long game where two of my initial pawns have a Chemical Interest.  Yes, it's a bit annoying at times, but generally not so bad.  For the first while I ran a strictly drug-free colony so the binges didn't matter.  When the population got bigger I dipped my feet into psychoids.  I make separate rooms for drug storage and keep Important woodpiles at the door so someone can race over and wall it off when they go on a binge.  Most of the time that works.  Thankfully I haven't had any Luciferm around when it happened.

I have a pyromaniac who's much more annoying.  Granted he's not hard to cope with - just follow 'em around with a conscripted pawn.  All you need to do is stand beside the fire and the conscript will put it out.  But it's annoying because it eats up all my attention for the duration of the binge.  That can be a problem when you're trying to deal with a simultaneous raid somewhere else.  Oh, and the pyro did manage to set over half my map on fire one time.  I was too busy to deal with him so just let him start the forest on fire, expecting it to rain once things got bad enough.  The rain didn't come, and the blaze got totally out of control.  It was actually rather hilarious:

"Dude, you're torching your only hope for survival..."

"F** it!  I've had enough of this wretched place and these aweful people.  Let it burn!"

khun_poo

======== Big NO Trait ========

Kill on spot, take no prisoner, banish on sight.

1 Bloodlust
- I don't like my colonist to bite each other eye/finger/nose blah blah out.

2 Abrasive
- Please don't call your friend an amphibian and -5 mood for no reason.

3 Jealous, Greedy, Depressive, Pessimist
- Free mood debuff for no reason. No way man.

4 Chemical interest and fascination
- Tea are only once every 2 days for everyone in my colonist to relax. Wake up is for emergency time like sleepy doctor vs 10 patient who will die within 3 hours. These colonist with the chemical trait don't care and take em all on binge then die from overdose or cancer. 

======== Little no trait ========
Manageable but still a pain in the ass.

1 Beautiful, Pretty, Creepy breathing, Annoying voice, Ugly, Stagering ugly, misandrist and misogynist.
- Beautiful and pretty sound good at first before they cheat on other husband. Banish them out or killing them affect the whole colonist mood too.
While ugly and staggering ugly have a hard life from keeping reject over and over. Both side of colonist (neither confess side nor rejected side) got mood debuff. They are still great to use as disposable pawn to die in the front line. My whole colonist will do a party in their funeral from mood buff. Poor guy...

2 Slothful, Slowpoke, Lazy
- Too slow even on speed 3.

3. Wimp
- Can't fight at all. Down even from a merely food poisoning. However, after installing them a pain stopper. They'll die after one berserk.

4. Sickly
- Bad until the colony can sustain penoxycyline dose.

5. Volatile, Nervous, Neurotic and Very Neurotic
- Easy to break but no mood debuff. So they still can get inspired from time to time. These guy can't endure the hardship on caravan so don't bother send them out of the colony though.

6. Body purist
- Nothing good from this trait.

7 Psychic Hypersensitive + Normal sensitive
- Drone are nasty at late game. -48 mood is crazy and the psychic hat are trade only item. Manual manage the colonist with this trait to wear the hat while drone coming and take it off after the drone is gone are the pain in the ass.

8 Nudist
- Almost the same reason as Psychic Hypersensitive. I don't want a to micro-manage those apparel too much.

9. Non-violent
- Not really a trait but still somewhat on probation on my colonist. If they know a good skill like doctor or having a good trait then they're acceptable.

scorlew

Quote from: bbqftw on September 27, 2018, 01:57:25 AM

one potentially spicy option would be to pick abrasives + staggering uglies + creepy breathing + bloodlusts (bonus: head scars for disfigured and all the ex-es you can find) and go for multiple social fights a day. Then you got the mood problems covered because everyone is insulting each other and constantly in pain.

another spicy option is go for resource taxation where your colony is full of so many lazies and worthless that you cant get anything done. for this I would prioritize - gourmand / sickly / slothful / lazy / volatile / depressive. Gourmand is obviously an all star, this is the one I would pick for all 3, sickly gives you extra 'presents' every 2 months or so and further taxes your work output, slothful/lazy to make putting food on the table a challenge.

You are one sick puppy.
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ