[WIP] [1.2] Persistent RimWorlds

Started by FilUnderscore, October 07, 2018, 09:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilUnderscore

Quote from: lehniers on October 29, 2018, 01:21:45 AM
Author. Can you tell us when do you expect your project will be released to public?

For a stable release, I would expect at the earliest, mid-late December should everything go to plan, otherwise it would be near the beginning of the new year. For pre/unstable releases, I plan to have them coming before then and will be made available on the source code repository once testing commences (most likely end of November/beginning of December), in which anyone willing to play-test this mod can do so at their own risk, to help stabilize the mod for release.

Quote from: Ruisuki on October 28, 2018, 01:49:06 AM
could persistent characters be a thing? If you created 8 of your friends through something like prepare carefully but dont want to start off as an overpowered colony, maybe pick 4 characters to crashland with and 4 others that have a chance of encountering/part of an existing faction?
I'm not really sure at the current time, this could be an optional addon for the mod after release, it will be something that I'll be looking into throughout development.

Until then, I'll keep you all updated with development and I've got that video planned in a few days time to show what I've been working on for the past few weeks. :D

FilUnderscore

A new video has been uploaded to YouTube to showcase a refined UI and (some) new functionality the UI has to offer. The whole system has been made a lot more stable (there is a small saving bug at the end of the video which has been fixed now) and loads quickly as demonstrated with the number of colonies in the world when loading. The colonies tab is for the most part functional (leaders have yet to be fully implemented, with things such as mod compatibility between Psychology's mayor system / Fluffy's relations tab), with switching colonies on the go (no longer needing to load the whole world again!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbBpCu11GYA

lehniers

lehniers

another question. are seperated colonies able to raid each other?

FilUnderscore

Quote from: lehniers on November 07, 2018, 09:38:12 AM
another question. are seperated colonies able to raid each other?
At this moment of time, no. In the future, I plan for this to become a feature. It just hasn't been implemented yet.

PM_ME_NAKED_SINGULARITIES

Is this mod still being worked on?

lehniers

author. aren't there any kind of progress report?

lehniers

come on. I'd stopped playing till you finish this mod..
please give us any progresses

NobodyImportant

To quote Yahtzee from ZP:
"YES! YES!!! ALL OF THAT! IN MY FACE!! NOW!"

Holey moley this is a great mod idea.
Finally my dream of having a couple of colonists from space and a couple from a tribe could come true!

Question though:
To create a new colony, do you have to go through the new game menu? Or could you just  click on a tile on the worldmap, select an icon and do EDB Prepare Carefully before settling.
Another question. What happens to the other active colony? The problem with vanilla is that if you have multiple colonies the game simulates all of them even if you don't have pawns in some making it awful in terms of system resources used.
Would it be possible to select a colony on a hex to remain saved and unsimulated while you go focus on a different one and then be able to select it again to be active again? Sortof like a softer "abandon settlement" button.
The things on each hex of the world map are stored separately anyway, so it should be possible to do this right? Using the Abandon algorythm but keeping the save data.
I'm asking because having multiple colonies in the same world would be great except simulating them all would make the game unplayably slow...

I'd also love to do some early testing for this.

TheMilkman

NobodyImportant

Come ooon update this!!! Pleeease?
This is such a nice feature that rimwirld was originally designed to have this until apparently the a15 map update broke it.
I absolutely need this in my life.

FilUnderscore

Quote from: NobodyImportant on January 05, 2019, 10:10:05 AM
Come ooon update this!!! Pleeease?
This is such a nice feature that rimwirld was originally designed to have this until apparently the a15 map update broke it.
I absolutely need this in my life.

Quote from: TheMilkman on December 28, 2018, 01:10:05 PM

Quote from: lehniers on December 13, 2018, 05:49:17 AM
come on. I'd stopped playing till you finish this mod..
please give us any progresses

Quote from: PM_ME_NAKED_SINGULARITIES on November 27, 2018, 08:33:32 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been on holiday recently taking a break from everything, and will be returning very soon to continuing this mod. I'm hoping to progress with this mod, and I have not abandoned it.

FilUnderscore

Quote from: NobodyImportant on December 18, 2018, 08:26:29 PM
To quote Yahtzee from ZP:
"YES! YES!!! ALL OF THAT! IN MY FACE!! NOW!"

Holey moley this is a great mod idea.
Finally my dream of having a couple of colonists from space and a couple from a tribe could come true!

Question though:
To create a new colony, do you have to go through the new game menu? Or could you just  click on a tile on the worldmap, select an icon and do EDB Prepare Carefully before settling.
Another question. What happens to the other active colony? The problem with vanilla is that if you have multiple colonies the game simulates all of them even if you don't have pawns in some making it awful in terms of system resources used.
Would it be possible to select a colony on a hex to remain saved and unsimulated while you go focus on a different one and then be able to select it again to be active again? Sortof like a softer "abandon settlement" button.
The things on each hex of the world map are stored separately anyway, so it should be possible to do this right? Using the Abandon algorythm but keeping the save data.
I'm asking because having multiple colonies in the same world would be great except simulating them all would make the game unplayably slow...

I'd also love to do some early testing for this.

1. I'm thinking of a good way to implement access to the mod menu where you load/create colonies/persistent worlds, as of right now it is located on the main menu under the "Load game" button. To create a persistent world, you create a normal colony through the "New colony" button then open up the mod menu and click on that save (like loading a colony) to convert it to a persistent world, which will allow you to create more colonies. After the world has been created, you can create/delete colonies through the world's own menu within the mod menu.

2. I'm not entirely sure what system I'll come up with for other colonies as time passes in the world, it's sort of a gray area at the moment. I'm aware that simulating all those other colonies would be too much for most systems to handle. Currently other colonies in the same world are not simulated.

Early testing will also be announced when I've got a build with some of the intended features at least working.

FilUnderscore

I'm planning to soon announce a pre-release version which appears to be pretty stable, although missing some mentioned features in the original post as they are still under development. With this in mind, if you would like to help with the development of this mod, feel free to report any bugs and contribute to the official repository, once this version is released. You'll be hearing it soon with a download link to the official repository. I have returned to development.

lehniers