Caribou Revenge is still ridiculous

Started by Shurp, October 13, 2018, 07:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zizard

The movespeed changes in B19 were designed to make hunting more miserable, so this thread will simply be seen as a sign of success.

5thHorseman

While we're stating our own preferences as facts, It is an undeniable fact that you can hunt meat in the mid and even late game, and shooting caribou in groups with charge rifles is a very easy way to avoid the various issues with herd revenge. I frequently go on 3-5 person hunting trips to take out entire herds of "dangerous" animals with no troubles.

I also have never used nutrient paste so I can state as fact that they should remove it from the game.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Shurp

Sure, remove nutrient paste too, I never use that either. :-P

And yes, if the goal was to make hunting a pain and not worthwhile, it's definitely a success.  Though I did enjoy the manhunting beavers that showed up later.  Because they have a slow move rate I was able to run my pawns around and shoot them -- but it was a tricky operation, a few pawns almost got surrounded.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Scavenger

Ive never used nutrient paste either, remove!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

B@R5uk

Quote from: Scavenger on October 14, 2018, 11:18:32 PM
Ive never used nutrient paste either, remove!
No way!!! How will I feed my pack of dromdaries with elephant meat paste?!

vzoxz0

The game isn't supposed to have 0 difficulty. Accept that there are risks to living on a Tundra and hunting animals that respond in kind some of the time. Whining about it doesn't help much.

Touch nutrient paste and I come to your houses and skin you alive. It's an essential part of any sane colony.

fritzgryphon

Manhunter them with mortars.  Greet them in your kill box.

TheMeInTeam

If they revenge, shoot them until they get close to a door, then close it with an open door somewhere else further away.  When they get close to that one, open the first one then close the 2nd.

Repeat until they're all dead.

Automated hunting is still a false choice, though more usable if you're willing to reload when it screws you.  Draft hunting and positioning in a way that lets you get to said doors reliably allows even tribal pawns with bows to safely hunt.

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 15, 2018, 06:20:07 AM
The game isn't supposed to have 0 difficulty. Accept that there are risks to living on a Tundra and hunting animals that respond in kind some of the time. Whining about it doesn't help much.

Offtopic/non-sequitur + ad hominem.

vzoxz0

Exploiting AI mechanics is always an option, but generally people try to avoid needing that on any difficulty except Merciless.

Not at all off topic, nor a non sequitur (the topic is something being ridiculous due to the difficulty it poses) and it followed from him talking about how hard it is to hunt entire herds of caribou in the tundra.

The closest I got to ad hominem was a my cannibal/bloodlust inspired comment about what would happen if they got nutrient paste removed from the game. I blame RimWorld for that one, I recently clad one of my Bloodlust-ed (not-yet-nutrient-paste-eating) colonists in several articles of human leather clothing.

I never said anyone here was whining, though I heavily implied it. What I actually said was that whining does not help! Which is, in fact, true, and not at all offensive!

Difficulty where it is expected is not a game bug.

Note that the discussion of my post definitely is off topic, so I suggest we take this to PM after my response so as to not mess up the thread. Your poor grasp of the terms non sequitur and ad hominem made me grin a bit, though -- thanks.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 14, 2018, 05:50:26 AM
Nutrient paste is basically a necessity past 8 pawns, it becomes way too tedious to maintain a decent amount of meals.

You just build additional stoves. As a Lost Tribe exclusive player, I always end up with 2 Fueled Stoves and the third or fourth are Electric Stoves.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 15, 2018, 11:50:19 PM
Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 14, 2018, 05:50:26 AM
Nutrient paste is basically a necessity past 8 pawns, it becomes way too tedious to maintain a decent amount of meals.

You just build additional stoves. As a Lost Tribe exclusive player, I always end up with 2 Fueled Stoves and the third or fourth are Electric Stoves.

I find I can go up to about 15 or so with a single stove, though that cook is almost relegated to the kitchen full time when not sleeping or playing. That's 30 fine meals in the 10 or so hours I make them work or 3 meals an hour. Which seems a bit ridiculous but hey it is what it is. I guess most of that is travel time even tough all the ingredients are on hand, and plus there's walking to and from the kitchen.

Once I start falling behind on meals I usually just decide who's the other cook and move them to the night shift. I used to make 2 stoves but then realized they were sitting idle for over half the day.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

B@R5uk

Herd revenge is a nice feature for bringing food right next to the door. You only need pawn that moves faster than game. Well, you actually need to manually control him/her on the way back since autopathing is bad and inefficient over the long distances. Also you should consider repeatedly switching targets while pack hunting so game become wounded and bled. This makes path back a little safer and helps a lot when it's time to kill the pack. Or you can just wait them all to bleed to death near your doorstep. It saves some time as well.

Autohunting is good for target practice. You make pawn you want to train shooting equip autopistol, as it has the best "trigger" rate, preferably awful quality or at least poor for the worst chance to hit, and you send them hunt such harmless little animals like rats, squirrels, chinchillas or less harmless but slow and also small game like iguanas and tortoises. The "harmless" part makes autotraining save and the "little" part make it efficient as small animal size reduces hit chance thus prolonging shooting time whereas moving time remains the same.

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 16, 2018, 12:14:51 AMThat's 30 fine meals in the 10 or so hours I make them work or 3 meals an hour. Which seems a bit ridiculous but hey it is what it is. I guess most of that is travel time even tough all the ingredients are on hand, and plus there's walking to and from the kitchen.

It seems you don't use stools to prevent pawns from moving in the process of making food or anything else. For cooking stoves and drag labs stools are mandatory, because items produced on these benches require very little time. Some items in the machining table need stools as well to be effectively produced. Place stools with ingredients on them next to stove and meals will be made like they are coming from machinegun, because pawns will not waste time moving back and forth.

5thHorseman

Quote from: B@R5uk on October 16, 2018, 02:17:54 AM
It seems you don't use stools to prevent pawns from moving in the process of making food or anything else. For cooking stoves and drag labs stools are mandatory, because items produced on these benches require very little time. Some items in the machining table need stools as well to be effectively produced. Place stools with ingredients on them next to stove and meals will be made like they are coming from machinegun, because pawns will not waste time moving back and forth.

I know of this but never use it (well other than trying it to see if I liked it) because it ends up taking up 2 people's time, the cook and a full time hauler to continuously bring the 5-10 times that the cook takes from the stockpile. So unless you literally have a person who all they can do is haul and there is no other hauling to do, you're wasting more time (or at best just as much) doing it that way.

And I'm glad I never relied on it, as in 1.0 it's reportedly been removed as a mechanic. You can still put a stool there but the pawn will step into the square to pick up the items like there isn't one.

B@R5uk

On the revenge theme. It's good to set off the pack on raiders or caravans. In first case it's free fighters and in second case it's free meat. You can also rescue incapacitated caravan soldiers and strip them for free stuff and nurture them while they are healing to gain free faction standing.

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 16, 2018, 02:35:44 AM
I know of this but never use it...

I saw you wrote about it in the other topic and I tried my best to explain how to do it right.

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 16, 2018, 02:35:44 AM
...as in 1.0 it's reportedly been removed as a mechanic...

No, it still works.

vzoxz0

QuoteYou just build additional stoves. As a Lost Tribe exclusive player, I always end up with 2 Fueled Stoves and the third or fourth are Electric Stoves.

I also play a lot of Lost Tribe ... I still research the nutrient paste dispenser past a certain point of colonists.

The work I lose by having a dedicated chef is incredible past 8 colonists. As a rule of thumb you're going to want 2.5 * no_of_colonists meals produced per day. At 8 colonists you are now producing 20 meals per day, which is incredibly time and resource consuming. Optimizing the kitchen is one thing but you still lose a whopping 10+ hours of work from someone who might have other talents than cooking.

In 1.0 you can tell people not to eat pemmican, which means you can actually use the nutrient paste dispenser while telling people to create a nice rainy-day storage of food very easily. That guy who was just "maintaining the colony meal number" now becomes an asset that can create many hundreds of pemmican per day. The other guy you would have needed to continue production past that point can now hunt and butcher, allowing more value for the colony.