Caribou Revenge is still ridiculous

Started by Shurp, October 13, 2018, 07:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Not sure what I'm supposed to do when the caribou gang up and exterminate my colonists, other than devmode explosions and heals after watching them get slaughtered.  Quite ridiculous.

I'm not sure why raiders have been nerfed and caribou not.  It would be nice to see this reversed.

OK, time to go blow up some caribou...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

zizard

Shurp

This is in the early game, prior to having a normal food supply set up.  No caravans about...

unless you mean sending someone off on a caravan?  But he still can't return until the caribou calm down.

--------------------------

Anyway, I just figured out how to fix this.  Increase the percentage risk of caribou going manhunting when injured, but make the chance random for *each* caribou.  So when you anger one, maybe another one or two join in -- few enough that the event is survivable.  And because the frequency is higher, it makes hunting a challenge.  It's a risk but not an all-or-nothing risk.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

Don't hunt animals that revenge in herds, until you can handle animals that revenge in herds.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Shurp

By the time I can handle animals that revenge in herds, I have a food supply established and don't need to hunt at all.  I never bother hunting after I get my farms going.

If the caribou are going to behave this way, they might as well not even be there -- in which case, there's no reason to refrain from devmoding explosions on them whenever they annoy me.

Scavenger

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 13, 2018, 08:34:35 PM
Don't hunt animals that revenge in herds, until you can handle animals that revenge in herds.

This ^

Also, I'm glad Tynan went for the realistic approach. Caribou will often attack in herds in real life and wipe out small settlements.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

vzoxz0

There is no problem fighting herd caribou. Just set traps. Lots of traps. If there's wood, this isn't an issue at all.

Shurp

And there's no significant wood on a tundra map, so it's an issue.

On the hilarious side, a pack of alphabeavers just showed up.  I'm going to watch them starve to death, it should be funny.

AileTheAlien

If you've got rifles it helps, compared to closer-ranged weapons like shotguns. Other than that, yeah, just try to hunt them when they're farther away from the herd. Nutrient paste dispencers also help, by reducing the amount of raw food you need to feed everyone.

vzoxz0

Nutrient paste is basically a necessity past 8 pawns, it becomes way too tedious to maintain a decent amount of meals.

Serenity

Currently playing on boreal forest. Didn't have an issue with hunting and killing entire herds before winter.

Shurp

Yes, 9 times out of 10 you can gun down an entire herd of caribou with your starting rifle and revolver with no trouble.

I would prefer to see each caribou have a 20% chance of turning manhunter each time it is shot -- and the remainder of the herd run away.  Guaranteeing that you get attacked repeatedly by single caribou (which your starting colonists can handle, albeit with difficulty).  And if you spray machinegun fire into the whole herd, well, you get what you deserve.

vzoxz0

You can also hide indoors until they calm down, you know.

Scavenger

Quote from: Shurp on October 14, 2018, 12:19:00 PM
Yes, 9 times out of 10 you can gun down an entire herd of caribou with your starting rifle and revolver with no trouble.

I would prefer to see each caribou have a 20% chance of turning manhunter each time it is shot -- and the remainder of the herd run away.  Guaranteeing that you get attacked repeatedly by single caribou (which your starting colonists can handle, albeit with difficulty).  And if you spray machinegun fire into the whole herd, well, you get what you deserve.

Or just the males? Lol.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Shurp

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 14, 2018, 01:07:28 PM
You can also hide indoors until they calm down, you know.

If you can outrun them to get back to base, sure.  What's the move rate on caribou again?

"Well, don't hunt them until you have bionic legs."  Right, by then I have a pig farm too, so why hunt them at all?