Help with how to play without installing Steams "update required".

Started by jayman1000, November 28, 2018, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayman1000

I don't want to break my mods so I'd like to avoid the "update required" that is currently plastered over Rimworld in my Steam library. How do I launch the game without getting the update? Hope someone can help with a few tricks and tips to circumvent it.

Canute

Maybe you should start to read sticky at some forums ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29440.0
I hope it help, i don't know since i don't use steam.

Koek

dburgdorf

- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

BlackSmokeDMax

Best method to take Steam out of the equation is to use the Ludeon.com version. If you bought on Steam and don't have access to the Ludeon.com version, just copy your full Steam install folder from where Steam stores it (I'll put default location below) to anywhere else on your drive. You can then use the directions in either my thread that Canute linked to, or you could use similar directions in my pinned thread on the Rimworld community boards on Steam. Both basically steer you in the same direction. Make sure to look at the readme in the main folder in Rimworld, it gives the directions as well for using custom save locations.

Steam Rimworld default install location for Win10: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld"

jayman1000

Quote from: Canute on November 28, 2018, 05:39:27 PM
Maybe you should start to read sticky at some forums ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29440.0
I hope it help, i don't know since i don't use steam.

That post does not look like it answers my question, so how on earth would I have know it could help me? the post seems to be about "Workaround for constant "Downloading" of mods in Steam" which is not an issue I have, so how would me looking at that sticky make me think "hey this will help me!"?

Combined with the information blacksmokedmax mnentioned however it does seem that it can be used to achieve what I want.

jayman1000

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on November 29, 2018, 01:15:54 PM
Best method to take Steam out of the equation is to use the Ludeon.com version. If you bought on Steam and don't have access to the Ludeon.com version, just copy your full Steam install folder from where Steam stores it (I'll put default location below) to anywhere else on your drive. You can then use the directions in either my thread that Canute linked to, or you could use similar directions in my pinned thread on the Rimworld community boards on Steam. Both basically steer you in the same direction. Make sure to look at the readme in the main folder in Rimworld, it gives the directions as well for using custom save locations.

Steam Rimworld default install location for Win10: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld"

Thank you, that sounds very promising!

jayman1000

Quote from: dburgdorf on November 29, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
No updates since 1.0 was released should be mod-breaking.

that's nice thank you for letting me know

Bozobub

That's kind of the entire point of a "1.0" release: from that point, only minor changes really should be necessary, at least until the next major version number.
Thanks, belgord!

5thHorseman

Quote from: Bozobub on December 01, 2018, 12:58:14 AM
That's kind of the entire point of a "1.0" release: from that point, only minor changes really should be necessary, at least until the next major version number.

If only game developers followed this.

Not saying anything about Wube. They've not released a 1.0 of Factorio yet so they've not yet released a mod-or-save-breaking 1.1. But it's happened too often lately for me to really expect otherwise.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.