Dumb Labor

Started by Shurp, December 01, 2018, 06:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

OK, this is just getting stupid.  Only 3 out of 10 pawns in my latest colony can haul.  And then there's this:

Childhood: Scavenger
Pigeon spent her childhood escaping grunt work to go digging through wrecks and ruins for treasures.  Her natural curiosity got her into a lot of trouble, but it also yielded many interesting finds.
Hauling disabled

What???  A scavenger who finds lots of interesting things... but who refuses to haul it back to the village?  "Hey, I found this great stuff, but I'm too lazy to bring it back, why don't you go get it and pay me for it."

I'm seriously considering modding out this stupidity.

-----------------
Edit: update, it wasn't hard to mod out.  To keep it somewhat fair, pawns with "hauling" explicitly prohibited I left in.  But I just edited WorkTypes.xml and removed the ManualDumb workTag from the Hauling WorkTypeDef.  The downside is that now my Glitterworld nerd can haul, but my Ranch owner can too so that's a fair tradeoff.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Shurp on December 01, 2018, 06:44:56 AMOK, this is just getting stupid.  Only 3 out of 10 pawns in my latest colony can haul....

"Editable Backstories and Names" - Allows you to customize the game's backstory database, allowing you (among other things) to remove incapabilities from backstories that you don't want to have them. (Granted, this one can be a lot of work, but it provides the ability to completely tailor things to your liking.)

"Pawns are Capable!" - Allows pawns to be assigned to work types they hate at the trade-off of mood or other penalties. For most work types, the penalties increase over time, as the mod isn't intended to allow such assignments to be for anything but emergencies, but for hauling and plant work, the penalties are minor and flat, so even if pawns dislike the work, they can do it like anyone else with just a bit of complaining. :)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Shurp

I had a look at Editable Backstories.  Unfortunately it's incompatible with existing savefiles, so I'd have to start my colony over, and I didn't want to abandon this one. 

Pawns are Capable looks more promising... but is it really safe to add to an existing game?  I guess I probably should remove my mod before installing it.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

dburgdorf

"Editable Backstories" is actually safe to add to a game in progress; you may have looked at pre-b19 versions, which weren't. However, it won't change anything about existing pawns' vanilla backstories, so it wouldn't allow you to fix problems with existing lazy pawns.

"Pawns are Capable!" is perfectly safe to add to a game in progress, and will immediately update all pawns to have "hated work types" instead of "incapabilities." Note that there is an incompatibility right now with Fluffy's "Work Tab" mod, but I hope to be able to finally address that this weekend.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Shurp

Yes, I can confirm Pawns are Capable works fine with an existing save.  Thank you!  And the mechanic is interesting -- pawns receive a penalty as soon as the work is assigned, regardless of what they're actually doing.  Which means you still have to pay attention to what your pawns like to do rather than "set it and forget it" unless you really like mood penalties.  But you can still get jobs done when needed.

It looks good, thanks!

dburgdorf

Quote from: Shurp on December 01, 2018, 01:14:29 PMAnd the mechanic is interesting -- pawns receive a penalty as soon as the work is assigned, regardless of what they're actually doing.  Which means you still have to pay attention to what your pawns like to do rather than "set it and forget it" unless you really like mood penalties.

Honestly, it works the way it does more for code reasons than for any other reasons. The mod can monitor when pawns are assigned and unassigned particular work *types* pretty easily, but to monitor when they start and stop doing particular *jobs* would essentially require that it intercept distinct bits of code for every job in the game, including modded jobs.

But even if it weren't a matter of practical necessity, I'd probably still have it work the way it does, specifically because, as you note, the mod isn't intended to allow you to "set and forget" job assignments. It's intended to allow you to have pawns do work they hate in emergency situations, without completely undermining or eliminating the inconveniences that the vanilla "incapable of" mechanic introduces to the game.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

Maybe
Force Pawn to Do a Job
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33139.0
It is similar to Pawn are capable, but without the restrictions.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Canute on December 01, 2018, 04:17:13 PMMaybe Force Pawn to Do a Job....

"Pawns are Capable!" incorporates the functionality of "Force Pawn to Do a Job." But more importantly, the latter doesn't allow you to instruct pawns to do anything that they're "incapable" of doing, and so doesn't address the original complaint at all.  ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?