If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskx

Quote from: Tynan on July 20, 2016, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: ttoocs on July 20, 2016, 01:24:09 PM
And that it is something you can set in unity's player build settings. - which would fix needing any script at all on mac, and the old script would be fine for Linux (although I still suggest adding a $@ at the end of it)

Do you think this is something I should do?

(TL:DR -> +1 for player rebuild)
well in case it really doesn't has any impact on performance it looks like the best thing to do for now. Since you don't have to fiddle around with new scripts.

Quote from: ttoocs on July 20, 2016, 01:35:17 PM
It doesn't sound like it hampers anything at the moment, "it should just be a matter of new features", so you may as well.  (I'm thinking it'd just be graphical features, but I may be wrong.) But for a fix, it'll solve the problem.

[11:36] <Tak> it _should_ only affect new features
[11:37] <Tak> well, the legacy renderer will go away in unity 5.5
[11:37] <Tak> at that point, people will need drivers that support core profile 3.2
[11:37] <Tak> (which even mesa on intel does now)

oh boy, hope amdgpu with CIK will get stable till that happens, otherwise my wine will work overtime ....

@ttoocs thanks for all your work!

keindingyobot

So i just bought this game on steam and everytime im trying to start it i get this error (attachment). (Got DirectX 11, my drivers are uptodate, 3D acceleration is active)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

e6719039

Quote from: ttoocs on July 20, 2016, 07:40:41 PM
When it's run with -force-opengl there are 373 instances of "null texture passed to GUI.DrawTexture", which is where the pink would be from.. which is strange.. There is another argument that you _could_ try for blind luck, but no idea if it would work: "-force-d3d11"

On the first crash.txt, it looks like it the Spanish language files are messed up, and then it _might_ be crashing because it can't name things..
My best guess from that is to try to get it to run in English, and see if that helps. (if you're already running it in english... well... I guess it's just kinda corrupted? in which case try the registry fix attached to the first post)

Idk how the windows version logs it-self... but the logs seem cut-off... but that might just be how it's run. I'm test that abit.
Nope, windows is just like that.

Edit: The crash_2.txt looks like it's just initializing it... and then exiting properly. The crash.txt just gets cut off, which I guess is the game crashing.
Sorry, no new ideas as to what to do. (other than the two original ones I had, but idk if they work at all.)

Hello!

Thanks for your reply, I tryed running the register cleaner but while i do see that there's supposed to be an attachment in the first post i can't see  a download link at all.  This happened in multiple computers on multiple networks, since the first post is kind of old i supposed the file was removed since it's not useful anymore :/

Anyone has the  file and can attach it again ?

This is what i see in the first post :

http://pasteboard.co/eaWzaPKxF.png

And this is what i see in a more recent post with attachments :

http://pasteboard.co/eaXtl4yp2.png

Edit :

I made an attempt with the "-force-d3d11" command, i got the game to run but again with everything in pink colors  again the null texture errors  in the logfile.

Final edit!  : finally i got it to work, i deleted the game one more time and reinstalled again, i started it again and was greeted with the pink version of the game again, this is because steam remembered the launch options "-force-d3d11" , i removed the launch options and the game crashed again, so i made a final attempt, i changed "-force-d3d11" with "-force-d3d9" and now finally it seems to be playable, no crash so far and i have textures and all!!

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards,

ttoocs

Quote from: e6719039 on July 21, 2016, 10:41:01 AM
-snip-

Final edit!  : finally i got it to work, i deleted the game one more time and reinstalled again, i started it again and was greeted with the pink version of the game again, this is because steam remembered the launch options "-force-d3d11" , i removed the launch options and the game crashed again, so i made a final attempt, i changed "-force-d3d11" with "-force-d3d9" and now finally it seems to be playable, no crash so far and i have textures and all!!

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards,

Heh, that's kinda ridiculous xD, but I'm glad it works now. A+.

Draycos559

Just got the game on Steam in Windows 10. Starts up to just a black screen with cursor and music every time. Tried suggestions from original post to no avail. Here's the log:

Initialize engine version: 5.3.4f1 (fdbb5133b820)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1404]
    Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Vendor:   Intel
    VRAM:     1074 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.087 seconds
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1600x900 60Hz; virtual: 1600x900 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 1.345505 ms
RimWorld 0.14.1249 rev942

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
  Thread -> id: 1d80 -> priority: 1

milon

Quote from: Draycos559 on July 30, 2016, 09:47:56 PM
Just got the game on Steam in Windows 10. Starts up to just a black screen with cursor and music every time. Tried suggestions from original post to no avail. Here's the log:

- snip -

Thanks for the log.  I don't see any obvious errors there.  I don't recognize the last 2 lines, but they don't look like error messages either.  Did you have any successful launches of RimWorld yet?

Draycos559

Nope. Tried multiple reinstalls/verify game caches/opt ins to beta version/etc. and nothing. Every time it just goes to black screen with game cursor and music.

Haplo

I'm not sure if your low Video-RAM may be a problem: 1074 MB
RimWorld has a min requirement of 2GB RAM, but I'm unsure about the requirement for VRAM..
How much memory has your computer? (Free memory, see task manager on the tab ?Power?)

I've tested it on my computer: RimWorld needs over 2GB of active memory (2.5GB and more with mods)

Also, just out of curiosity: Do you have a Anti-Virus program? And if so, which one?
I'm asking because some people had problems running it as it was partly blocked by their Anti-Virus. But your log doesn't suggest anything of that kind, so my idea would be too low free memory..

Calahan

If you press and hold Alt-Tab, is the miniature RimWorld window all black as well?

I've had occasional instances with running games on a HD4000 laptop where the game will load to a black screen, and I then need to access them via Alt-Tab-cycling in order for the game to display properly (the game will be displayed properly in the miniature Alt-Tab window). Not sure if I've had this problem with RimWorld or not, but I can't say that I haven't either.

Missy

I'm getting an issue with the black screen during the "Initializing Interface" phase on Steam startup. Everything runs normally until then.

I've tried multiple re-installs, including wiping my registry keys and files in appdata, and none of it seems to work, even without any mods whatsoever. I've checked in the config and Core is active, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

milon

What operating system are you on?

Can you post a log file (link in sig)?

Missy

I am using Windows 8.1. The log file is too big to fit even on Pastebin...

From the looks of it though, it seems that the game is looking for mod files that are not only not there, but deactivated as well.

milon

Could you post a representative part of the log file?  Or just zip it with 7-Zip or something.

And that's really weird.  Have you successfully run the game before?

Try deleting all local content, etc (backup your saves first!!) then erase RimWorld too.  Then reinstall and try again.

Missy

Yeah I just put it up on Mediafire, hope you don't mind. http://www.mediafire.com/download/b1m1wa23sw15hfp/output_log.txt

I've successfully run the game before, both modded and vanilla. Haven't been able to run it with the latest update though.

I've already deleted all local content, even going as far as to remove the registry keys, and reinstalled several times but that doesn't seem to be fixing the issue.

milon

The mod 'Core' is actually RimWorld itself.  And it's royally b0rked according to your log file.  I have no idea how RimWorld itself gets broken, unless Steam is to blame.  This might be another case where Steam Sync causes more harm than good.

Try this:
1. Disable Steam sync
2. Uninstall RimWorld completely (and whatever other file wiping you want to try)
3. Reboot PC
4. Download & install RimWorld
5. Re-test
6. If it works, you can re-enable Steam Sync