Your favourite colonists

Started by ParagonTerminus, July 20, 2014, 06:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakar

Tyrese Dinardo was my favorite he faught in almost all the raids and was my weopenmaker
Second place goes to Nathan who was a badass with one bionic leg who had one of the highest kill counts
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Names are for the Weak

I recall vividly one colonist I recruited in a raid, named Jimmy. One of his comrades had molotovs on him, and after Jimmy was downed, molotov guy threw one in his general direction, giving Jimmy burns all over his body. After he was killed, Jimmy was captured and I expected him to die before he got to his cell. However, he survived the trip and was patched up. However, he received three infections, which I fully expected to kill him. But once again, he survived. And despite us killing all of his friends and treating him poorly leading to several life-threatening infections, and having a recruitment difficulty of something ridiculous like 99%, he wasn't the type to hold a grudge, and joined us almost immediately after recovering. He became the colony artist, creating masterpieces that would put Leonardo to shame.

CruelBanana

In my modded playthrough my favourite is Nikolay. He is the builder of the colony. I like him because of his loyalty to the cause. First he built a temple by the order of the leader of colony, even though he hated the cult (even attacked the preacher). When we were building walls, he didn't stop even when he was severely wounded. He lost his leg in one of the raids, and his wife got permanent brain damage, but he hadn't had a single breakdown so far. He is just tough and optimistic guy with a laser rifle.

tyriaelsoban

Engie, without a doubt, Engie, almost always spawns with good traits and usually is proficient in medicine and shooting, best i ever had on a random was sanguine, jogger and careful shooter - was the backbone of my marksman team playing with the reworked shooting skill mod.

{insert_name_here}

On my current colony, I have two favourites. Neither would make it onto the top 5 list of most skilled colonists, but they're very useful colonists and I don't know where I'd be without them.

First one: Debby, Sheriff
She was the first colonist that joined the original three. She came in a refugee mission. Now, when I originally saw her stats, I was super disappointed - she's incapable of EVERYTHING except for violence, art, and animals. However, shooting, melee and art were in or close to double-digit skill levels. She also had a burning passion for melee and art and a passion for shooting and animals. All in all though, I was quite unhappy. However, I kept her. Now she has an Animals skill of 17 (and she had a skill of 4 when she joined our colony). She singlehandedly tamed a small army of wild boars and trained all my animals so that stuff gets hauled super quickly thanks to them all being able to haul. Where would I be without her? I don't know. She also made some nice artworks.

Second one: Key, Organ farm
Key is another interesting colonist. I'm pretty sure he also came in a refugee mission. He's only 16. He's incapable of violence, but he has a passion in medicine (and I think a skill level of 11 or something right now). He's basically our cleaner, cleaning up messes 24/7 (or 12/7, I allocate 12 hours a day to work). Then, after raids, he's our second-best doctor, making sure everyone gets healed. He's also our best surgeon and has done many operations (my best doctor has one eye, so I don't trust him with surgery). It's kind of ironic that an organ farm has become an organ farmer, IMO. Without him, my colony would be a far dirtier place and there would have been quite a lot of failed surgeries.

Now this one isn't a colonist: I can't remember how he arrived, I think in an escape pod. But I want to share his story with you as well. His name was Vladislav, and he was a sailor. Yep, he has a cool name. He also kindly donated both his lungs to help out my asthmatic colonist. Such a kind and generous man.

ghostshadow115

Lots and lots of colonists. Currently:

Stars - The now 18 year old Energetic pop idol who came with a three man raid, equipped with nothing else, but a wooden shiv. Now, this then 16 year old girl, with an artistic skill of 12 and burning passion on top of it, coupled with a 8 melee and interest in it struck my eyes very quickly. Making me question many times over: "Who would take a 16 year old, whose grandest enemy as of yet was probably a bad stroke on a brush, give them a WOODEN SHIV, and send them against people with guns."

Course, I didn't have the heart to kill this lassie. So I surrounded her with three of my own melee fighters to knock her out. Two of them who were even Brawlers.

SHE. DID. NOT. GIVE. A. SHIT.

She caused a permanent scar in the torso of one of the Brawlers and none of them were able to knock her out, until the rest of the raiding party was killed. This of course flagged Stars to retreat, and subsequently be slowly beaten to the ground under the barrage of three pair of fists.

At that point there was no question that no matter what. She had to be a part of my colony.

Since then, she reached level 20 in artistic, and created a dozen or so legendary grand statues, which dot across the colony. While also accompanying in the front lines as an equally potent melee fighter.

Pyros - The 27 year old Pyromaniac Builder who was bought from pirate slavers for a pretty silver. And immediately made me question my choice of purchase when within a day he went on a pyro spree. However! This damn maniac was the single best constructor/builder at the time I needed it the most, and continues to be one with his 19 Construction and passion in it, to this day. Although poor in quite literally everything else, incapable to put out fires and unwilling to cook. His mastery at creating masterwork and legendary furniture one after the other makes me quite resounded in my decision to get him.

Plus, he will always remind me of that one time he constructed a legendary royal bed. Then before leaving the bedroom, going into a pyro spree. Setting the bed on fire.

Pyros. The builder of wonders, and subsequent destroyer of them.

Old Man Bindo / Vulture / Tomboy - A grower and semi-cook who I offered safety in the very early game. Old Man Bindo is incapable of violence. His pursuer though named later Vulture, however is both a Psychopath and has Bloodlust. In a twist of fate, and player induced comedy. Vulture has been captured and turned into the backbone of the militia with his beastly Melee and Shooting skills, while Old Man Bindo became a legendary grower and expert cook. Staying far away from each other.

Though, the weirdness doesn't end nearly that quickly. For later, Tomboy (This one was not nicknamed by me, but it was too funny to me not to keep), the 36 year old MOTHER of the 68 year old 'Old Man Bindo', was saved. Mended up. The Jealous and Pessimistic woman of course... fell in love with the 30 year old Bloodthirsty psychopath. And thusly, on the third year of the colony's settling. They were married. Probably throwing the most awkward party in the history of the colony yet.

Just imagine the atmosphere between a jealous pessimist and a psychopath. While the... "son"(?) was looking on to his uncannily young mother getting married to the man who initially wanted nothing less, but to kill him and probably wear his skin as clothes.

Mirror - The 45 year old Recruiter with amazing social skills capped currently at 14. He is a Beautiful man, which should mean that it should be easier for him to actually do his job. Joke is on him though, for whatever RNGesus exists in this game, it REALLY hates Mirror. Not only is he disfigured now by a burn scar on his left eye, a spear cut on the right eye and a gunshot wound on his neck for good measure. He was blessed with Annoying voice AND Creepy breathing.

This grizzled looking, aging man. Who through scars dotting across his visage STILL looks beautiful like a painting, walking into the prison cell. And as he walks in, he breathes like he got a golf ball stuck both in his throat and mouth, and when he speaks, he just squeaks like a misused rubber duck.

This is THE MAN, who WILL convince you. That it is the best idea to join the colony. For he is Mirror. The walking painting.

Stormtrooper

Eric. His name is Eric. He's the hero of the battlefield, all thanks to the OC defense rifle (propably from the glittertech mod). For those who haven't seen it: it's the hell of a light machine gun. It has about 900 rpm, a total pause between bursts 0.8 second and its burst has 12 shots. It has a short maximum range (something about 30 tiles), but is very accurate at close and mid range, so combined with the extreme fire rate (more than vanilla minigun!!!) even an unskilled shooter can hit with it very often. And by saying very often I MEAN IT. Eric has lvl 3 of shooting, but it doesn't stop him from destroying half of the invaders every battle. Oh and he's also a careful shooter: even with 25% penalty he still fires extremely fast, and 25% bonus for accuracy makes him even more deadly. Did I mention that one day he gunned down two people with a single burst (both had full health)? Considering my description one can say that I described my favorite weapon not a colonist and I won't fully disagree, but that rifle has made Eric someone special in my colony and I know that if he dies, then the characteristic sound of it's rapid fire won't be the same anymore.

Ceanox

MY favourite Colnists are:
Patricia Anthony, the level 20 constructor & Melee fighter, equipped with legendary power armor and a legendary plasteel spear, Who was obviously partnered with:
Kagaroo. The nudist Sith Master who shot everyone with lightning and threw all shots back at everybody.

The picture is my Recreation of all my favourite characters, all put together in one world.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Call me Arty

Tuna (previously Percy) sucked.
Like, useless.

"Oh no, a refugee is being chased, offer shelter?"
Okay, no problem. Sure, one colonist ended-up dead, another one lost all the limbs on their right side, and two more were seriously injured, but it was worth it, right?
Nope.
Sure, he's a great shot, but that's it. He's a nervous wreck who can't do any work other than shoot stuff. So, I give him a sniper rifle, and he wanders all day. He can't do anything else. Completely useless.
   Then, a psychic ship drops, here's his chance! He's got the furthest range, the Scythers will be down before we know it!
   Percy three times once the mechanoids were awoken. Missed every time. Meanwhile, a Scyther fired once and immediately destroyed a kidney. Thankfully, I had the Leeani race (fox people, super fast) to pick him up before he bled to death. Now I've got three angry, undamaged Scythers and a psychic ship that needs to be destroyed before everyone goes ape.
Well, Percy soon recovered just in time to pick his sniper rifle back up to try and weaken some Scythers.
This time, he landed a whole entire one shot before he had a leg blown off. Once again, dragged back to the clinic, and I eventually sent-out three soldiers who suffered far fewer injuries, the only permanent injury was a lost foot, not like it kept Marty from killing a mechanoid while bleeding out.
Don't worry, Percy survived, just in time to wander into a raid that was happening just outside the front door. Of course, he wasn't drafted, but his random wanderings took him into a hail of bullets, resulting in a permanent brain injury, turning him into a trauma savant.
As he was so exceedingly lame, I decided to name him something even lamer than "shrimp." Tuna.
I came to regret this when I realized that his manipulation was way up thanks to the trauma. I gave him a new leg, and he went on to kill three out of seven members of the next raid before they even entered assault rifle/ shotgun range. He single-handedly killed two Thrumbos and halfway through a Cthonian (Rim of Madness mod, possibly the toughest thing I've had to fight in the game out of all the mods I've had).
Eventually, however, this hero was slain, as his rifle was no match for a swarm of Wargs as he was recovering muscle parasites. He was given a silver sarcophagus, only fitting for this hero. The rifle was given to our second best soldier and his closest friend, who was renamed Cod in his friend's honor. All the soldiers of the colony were similarly named after delicious fish in ceremony.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Rexstriker

Lumi, one of my starting pawns from the game I was playing, is an 80-year-old transgender badass (Found in the caravan child backstory I believe)
(The Rimsonal mod, the simple sidearms mod and Geneticrim are used) With a 19 in shooting and an 18 in melee (And I'm still currently playing, so she might be 20-20 by the time you read this)
She comes equipped with a minigun and a longsword as a sidearm. Wearing a military vest, a feral faction hood and a cloak. She has a bionic arm and her muscles are enhanced with bear DNA. Her melee DPS in the information tab is almost 20, that's more than twice than that of a thrumbo!

Some of her achievements include her pumping a megaspider full of lead, then once in melee range, she finished it off in one swipe, before it could hope to land a hit.
Since my area has a lot of bears, he also is my solo bear hunting pawn (She probably killed the bear that we took DNA from)
Lumi also heroicly carried one of my other pawns out of a mountain range on a caravan travel.

It became very clear that you don't f**k with Lumi. Levia, my master builder had a social fight with her, and was almost knocked unconscious in seconds.

My favourite character for sure.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Manleather_Cowboy

My favorite colonist is some 9 year old kid (I use Thirite's C&P mod) who I got as a recruit from a pirate raid. Sadly, I don't remember his name.
He was the colony's number one doctor, and at one point, attempted to hit on a 23 year-old coworker whilst doing research.
She, of course, rejected the hookup, but I couldn't help but nickname the lad "milfhunter."
Sadly, he died. Ironically, at the hands of pirates from his old faction. He now hunts milfs in heaven.

Canaris

There was my space marine/militia commander called Grumpy. That was back in A16 when Combat Realism was still a thing. I had a nice base set up ( one of the few times i played on Phoebe instead of Randy ), great open plaza in front, main base hidden inside the mountains, lots of food, power - prety much idyllic setup. One day Grumpy shows up to join my colony - 50yo space marine covered in scars with low skills in everything ... beside 20 shooting. I had every position covered so i just handed him the OC Defense Rifle from Glittertech mod, some kevlar vest, military helmet and made him an unofficial militia captain. Grumpy just moped around little bit, hauling some random crap, hunt a rare designated creature, doing little cleaning, training our colony dogs etc. Essentialy doing menial labour that nobody else wanted and that we didnt really needed that much.
Until one day group of space pirates decided to drop-pod right into our precious plaza and Grumpy was only one colonist present at the site. He mowed down those fuckers without even missing a shot ( really, i even checked every tile that was behind the place they appeared - not a single bullet he fired hit something else than pirates ). Before i could even draft the rest of the security forces, my precious plaza was covered in blood, body parts and dead or dying attackers.
After that night Grumpy became the absolute killing machine - he traded the kevlar vest for a power armour taken from one of those pirates, simple helmet for a cowboy hat and kept the OC Defense Rifle.
Pirates appear ? Grumpy runs to the spot and start putting hot lead down range like there is no tomorow, killing half of them before rest of the soldiers can even get to a position.
Mechanoids appear ? Grumpy singlehanded holds the entrance to a base long enough for dude with a grenade launcher to kill the rest.
Those big 50-70plus tribal raids ? Dont even bother drafting other guys, Grumpy got this shit.
That colony never failed - i simply stopped playing it.
I like to imagine that Grumpy is still out there, defending people he loves and cares about, just being his cynical and snarky self.

On the other non violent front were two people in my next colony - Larissa and Doc.

Larissa was one of the starting colonists, 25yo girl with blonde ponytail, 12 mining and burning passion for it. I kinda missed that because i tend to never min max my starting guys beside ensuring they can do everything and dont have some debilitating traits like very neurotic or psychic hypersensitivity. So few months in i notice that my mining orders are completed very quickly. I check her stats - boom, flat 20 in mining already.... and then one of the traders had the Nanoskin jumpsuit ( Glittertech mod item ), the jumpsuit that gives +900% to work speed.
After i got it for her, i could literally retire every other miner at my colony - she would go through 9x9 block of ceramite or adamantine faster than some other guys mined 2 tiles of slate or marble.. Leveling entire mountain ranges took her week at most. Shit was awesome.

And of course there was Doc - also the starting colonist, navy scientist/glitterworld surgeon ( one of those two starting occupations because he had high medicine and research at start - i cant remember which one ). 68yo bald fat guy who literally used magic hands and his puppy eyes to heal most injuries. Guy worked miracles on my wounded, pulling them from worst infections, malarias, wounds and afflictions possible in this entire game. And he got his research to 20 in few months so every other day he finished a research project and took the new one just to pass time. That was only one game that i finished research tree despite having shitload of mods...
Phoneposter - typos will happen.