Nonsensical NPC caravan behavior

Started by BladeOfSharpness, June 30, 2019, 03:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeOfSharpness

I find somehow unimmersive that when a NPC caravan on your map get attacked by a third party (by an hostile animal, an ongoing raid, anything), they leave on the ground their wounded and the trade goods of their downed animal.

B@R5uk

There was a law in feudalism age when your goods would belong to owner of land if you droped them while traveling. I think traders abide by this law. =D

account13123

It is strange, but it makes a little sense at least. Caravanning is heavily limited by carry capacity, so losing an animal in a full caravan means you're leaving something behind whether you want to or not. Also, trying to move with a downed pawn is pointless because of the movement penalty. And if you're at a friendly base anyway, why not leave them behind to get patched up, and owe your friend(the player) a favor for it?

It's a fantastic opportunity to patch them up and top off relations when they're well enough to leave.

Canute

And a catastrophic opportunity if the mechanoid raid just wipe out all the caravan  and the caravan faction went hostile to you! :-)

LWM

Kirby23590

I do remember one of the caravan guards sometimes insulting each other and then starting social fights with each other and sometimes downing the guard or downright killing him or her...

Thanks for the free gun! Or Free goodwill and clothes!  :P

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

Quote from: Kirby23590 on July 05, 2019, 04:28:44 PM
I do remember one of the caravan guards sometimes insulting each other and then starting social fights with each other and sometimes downing the guard or downright killing him or her...

Thanks for the free gun! Or Free goodwill and clothes!  :P
Something similar happened to me once. A caravan was hanging around my base, and some of them weren't the best of friends. One insult too many and they went at each other, and a bear and some capybaras got in on the action too.

Free meat and weapons :D (I actually tried to save the capybara, but it didn't seem to be possible, so it bled out)

B@R5uk

I like naked brutality, but hunting during start of the game is somewhat disadvantageous. Especially large animals like rhinos and elephants. So when large caravan arrives IT'S HUNTING TIME!!!

It's good if caravan is slaves trader and pawns you badly want to buy but do not have enough money got hurt and become cheap enough to be buyable. =D