Banishing useless pawns again...

Started by Shurp, June 30, 2019, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

I just thought it would be fun to begin another rant about useless pawns.  My latest experience is Alisa Harper, a pyromaniac psychite addict.  This was quite an entertaining experience.  I started with my usual drug addict plan -- lock her in a tiny empty cold cell for a few seasons while waiting for her addiction to wear off.

Of course I have to leave some food in there for her (that's why the cell is cold, to keep it from rotting).  So of course she sets it on fire.  *facepalm*  And now she's banished, way more trouble than she's worth!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

A cold cell isn't bad, but don't you think to give her food for 3 days, a bedroll let the her camp at the worldmap as caravan ?
Every 2-3 days you can deliver her some food, or when you can made pemmican once a week.
At this way she can't set anything on fire, and if she go on berserk she is alone.

For such patient i wished the anestetic would hold longer ! :-)

B@R5uk

Well, psychite addiction has mild debuff which can be solved with comfotable working conditions. But pyro is a big NO. Never allow pyro in the colony.

Shurp

Psychite *withdrawal* is a -35 mood debuff.  Nice living conditions isn't going to compensate for that.  Even Catharsis barely covers it.  No, addicts stay in cells until they've popped, then go back in when the Catharsis wears off.

And yeah, pyros are a pain, but the ordinary sort you can just beat down.  I'm afraid to let anyone lose with Extreme Break possible flagged.

Canute, the caravan trick feels like cheating... fairer just to banish her and take the -3 I think.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

Quote from: Shurp on June 30, 2019, 05:23:22 PM

Canute, the caravan trick feels like cheating... fairer just to banish her and take the -3 I think.

you might consider this cheating too, but if you feel the mood penalty for banishing a truly disruptive pawn is unfair, there is one way i know of to get rid of a colonist with no mood penalty to the rest:

1) arrest the pawn
2) "accidentally" leave the cell door open...as well as any other doors on the way to the map edge
3) wait for them to "escape" prison

since they weren't released, they don't rejoin the colony.  Since they weren't banished or killed, there's no mood penalty.  They can still show up again at a later time in a chased refugee or incapacitated prisoner quest or some such, so be sure to remember their name so you can NOT bother rescuing them all over again.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Shurp on June 30, 2019, 05:23:22 PM
Psychite *withdrawal* is a -35 mood debuff.  Nice living conditions isn't going to compensate for that...
Seems like flake withdrawal, not pcychite. But then again, my pawns usually have full mood bar, so some -35 debuff will only cancel their inspiration at worst. Such pawn I would feed larvish meals and pcychite tea (if it's really not tea withdraval).

Quote from: Limdood on July 01, 2019, 03:08:58 AM...there is one way...
Nice trick that!!! =D

Shurp

OK, well yeah, if your pawns are usually running around at +35 then psychite withdrawal is manageable, sure.  But like I said, I run suicide cults, not colonies; colonists are lucky they get a bed to sleep on in their stone cells.

In the interest of roleplay, if I was going to try to avoid a mood penalty for banishing someone, I'd first have all my colonists take turns beating him until they have a negative social relationship, so they get a positive boost when he's gone.  Although in that case I'd have to kill the pawn, not just banish him, right?

Pangaea

Oh man.... sure hope he survives the raid  ::)

Shurp

LOL, that's a classic case of "Draft, stand around until he gets downed, let the raiders run off with him."

FleshEater

Don't know - he's tough, nimble, good melee and can shoot straight.
A front-line fighter is the perfect job and he can look after the chickens in between fights - I'm sure that animal skill will raise quick enough.