[1.2] Lulu's Loony Levities (updated 2020-08-11)

Started by LoonyLadle, July 10, 2019, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maaxar

Quote from: LoonyLadle on May 24, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
Quote from: Maaxar on May 24, 2020, 08:27:21 PM
- Adds bones to Humans
- Allows the Pila, Short Bow, Long Bow, and Recurve Bow to be also be made out of Bone, Thumbone, or Chitin

I believe there is still unused references to a human bone def in my mod code because I originally had planned to have such a product. I later abstracted it out because of how humans react to human butchery products. But I know that most people who play this game don't understand or appreciate why that is.

More importantly, there is an actual technical reason why I did not stuff weapons.  It is not so blatantly illogical for buildings but the interaction of stuff with otherwise non-stuffed items, especially things like archaic weapons, is nonsense. Making a sensible interaction for this is a delicate balance matter that is not so easily solved; it is best done with a mod dedicated to that purpose. I strongly disapprove of these patches.

Hmm, makes sense regarding human butchery products and how pawns react to them. Would it be possible to make a "human bone" extension similar to the one you made for thrumbone that gives similar reactions to pawns for products made from it? I would have to dig around in how the "wearing human leather" thoughts are generated, but it should be possible right?

I can see what you mean about potential caveats of making non-stuffed weapons stuffed, but out of curiosity what are some of the problematic interactions? Does making a bow out of bone or chitin alter its combat behavior in unintended ways?

I am of course, willing to take down the patch repository and continue to only use it for my personal games if you would prefer.

LoonyLadle

Quote from: Maaxar on May 24, 2020, 09:08:34 PM
Hmm, makes sense regarding human butchery products and how pawns react to them. Would it be possible to make a "human bone" extension similar to the one you made for thrumbone that gives similar reactions to pawns for products made from it? I would have to dig around in how the "wearing human leather" thoughts are generated, but it should be possible right?

The human leather debuffs are hardcoded into the game. Fortunately, I'm awesome, so I could implement that pretty easily. My main concern is not with wearing human bones but more in building furniture out of it. I could just give human bone some really nasty beauty debuffs (and a cool red color that no other stuff in the game currently has; that'd be cool!). The problem comes when I ask "wait, wouldn't a cannibal think a human bone bed is HARDCORE METAL?" I did some cursory investigations but there isn't any precedent for making things have different perceived beauty values by different pawns. It would be a very complex undertaking, and I know I have to do it right the first time because if I just give human bone a straight beauty debuff with intent to patch in cannibal effects later I'll get a million angry comments by people who don't understand how difficult the problem is.

I can see what you mean about potential caveats of making non-stuffed weapons stuffed, but out of curiosity what are some of the problematic interactions? Does making a bow out of bone or chitin alter its combat behavior in unintended ways?

The main thing is that stuff passes its properties to the item, with wood and bone having very different blunt and sharp ratings. Bone weapons are more than twice as sharp as wood weapons, but both have a multiplier of less than 100%. You'd have to buff bows for them to keep them effective when made of wood, but using bone would cause them to suddenly become disproportionately powerful... about as powerful as a heavy SMG, actually.

There was a mod once upon a time that implemented stuff for ranged weapons using a new set of "ranged blunt" and "ranged sharp" stat modifiers. I don't know if it still exists. If it doesn't, I may consider remaking it myself as a sort of companion mod for this one. I could use a new project.

I am of course, willing to take down the patch repository and continue to only use it for my personal games if you would prefer.

Naw, I've no desire to be that person who thinks their mods are sacred and untouchable by mere mortals. I'm not that arrogant. Besides, the stuff I did not specifically mention seems good. I did implement chitin in a way that I'm sure conflicts with a lot of other chitin mods, and I don't use alien races, so I'm sure some patches for those are necessary.

LoonyLadle

New mod available: Scrap Anything. Break down (almost) any player-craftable object for resources at the same workbench used to create it.

Flimflamshabam

Quote from: LoonyLadle on May 25, 2020, 05:45:08 AM
I did implement chitin in a way that I'm sure conflicts with a lot of other chitin mods.
I was wondering if a toggle could be added, I'm using Vanilla Factions Expanded Insectoids which adds a bunch of new insects, an insect faction, and a special chitin material which functions a bit more like a metal than a wood, kind of awkward having both, although I can't seem to get many units of the VFE chitin, not sure if thats an incompatability because your chitin is being combined with it in butchery or if VFE just made their chitin % really low.

I used to use the Bones mod that is now part of rim of madness, but I didn't like the changes added to it when it became part of that mod group, I'm glad I found this one.

LoonyLadle

All mods recompiled and flagged as RimWorld version 1.2 compatible. Enjoy!

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on August 12, 2020, 01:07:13 PM
Quote from: LoonyLadle on May 25, 2020, 05:45:08 AM
I did implement chitin in a way that I'm sure conflicts with a lot of other chitin mods.
I was wondering if a toggle could be added...

Learning how to use HugsLib to make mod settings is something that has been on my bucket list for a long time. The inclusion of chitin in my bone mod seems to be the most contentious thing I have ever done, so if any mod is worthy of learning how to do that it'll probably be that one.

Until that happens, removing general chitin drops is fairly easy. Most mods implement their chitin using features already in RimWorld -- namely, as either a leather product or a special butchery product. I implemented mine by postfixing a code patch that checks the new BoneAmount stat and adds the bones as a new butcher product. It should not hard conflict with anything. As such, if you really don't want insects to drop chitin it should be a trivial step to go into /Patches/LuluBones_Patches.xml and delete the following section:

<Operation Class="PatchOperationAdd">
<xpath>Defs/ThingDef[@Name="BaseInsect"]/statBases</xpath>
<value>
<BoneAmount>50</BoneAmount>
</value>
</Operation>

LWM

Having done both HugsLib and self-done settings, neither one is particularly difficult - mostly copy/paste from another mod that does it  ;D

HugsLib's settings are a little slower during play but for something like butchery products, that's not worth even thinking about?

Sarge

I love your mods and modding approach Lulu! That quote from Tsunamy in your OP is spot on and I could not have said it any better.

LoonyLadle

D'aww, thank you Sarge. I was having a bad day and a kind word made it slightly less sucky. <3

Canute

*send up the minion's from his current colony to cheer up LoonyLadle*

No bad day when these are around you !

LoonyLadle

Absolutely! They make such delightful screams when they die. *Grabs chain shotgun*

jptrrs

Just wanted to express my gratitude for Drop All. Cannot play without it, and to discover it is still up-to-date after this long is amazing! Good job!

LWM

Just by the way, I have been using your bone mods and a slightly changed version of your surgery mods, and they are great :)  Especially the surgery one - it was really easy for me to finally have my dream scar removal that involves using Components to hack the nanobots in glitterworld medicine.

Yay!

LoonyLadle

I'm glad you're enjoying my mods and that they still work even though it has been a long time since I last recompiled them!