Ongoing Freezes leading to Desktop Crashes

Started by fetusthebard, January 09, 2020, 06:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fetusthebard

Hello. For the past couple of days I've been trying to create a stable Rimworld save with TechAdvancing, Glitterworld Tech, and Alpha Biomes+Animals. I've also got a couple QOL and Immersion mods (Hygiene, Surgery, Embrasures, Shield Generators, and Seeds+FertileFields+Bees to make planting actually feel in-depth). Don't worry, I have my mod config file attached, you won't have to go sorting through my log trying to find all of the 29(?) mods installed, most of which are quite small or prerequisites.

The problem arises seemingly randomly once a save is loaded. I have drafted all colonists and placed them inside before it happens, and the Freeze still occurs. It doesn't seem to be tied to pawn activities, although you can feel free to correct me if you find otherwise. I have a couple of tamed animals (Frostbound Behemoths from the Alpha Animals mod) but I haven't tried doing anything with them. I also haven't tried removing any mods, I've been trying to solve the issue with as many intact mods as my save allows (29 may seem like a lot, but I'm quite serious in my belief that every mod that I have installed is important and belongs in my load order). To this end I installed ModLoader (thinking it was a sorter) and then RWMS (an actual mod sorter!) to try to fix my load order. It did make some changes, but none of these has stopped the freezing+crashing.

So now I'm at a bit of a loss. Attached is my log, save, and mod config. I don't know whether any of them will be helpful, but by all means give them a look. I'm running Rimworld on Windows 10, Intel i5 9300H, 8G Ram, GTX 1650 Card, and the game never jumps over ~1.5 G ram use, until it freezes, where it jumps to ~3. With this build it should have no problem running this game flawlessly, even with quite a large colony (to be clear, my colony isn't large at all, I'm just ruling out hardware).

Thanks in advance, interested to find out what's going wrong here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fivjr9lv5fy9hd1/Output%20Log%20and%20Savegame.7z?dl=0

Edit: Just found out that my save is above (by  a lot) 1000 KB large, even compressed? That's... quite a lot. Is that normal for a 100% World? 

Canute

Hi,
QuoteThe problem arises seemingly randomly once a save is loaded.
is this logfile from after one of these random happening or just from regular gameplay ?
There isn't any error, which mosttimes are the reason for such freezes.

A logfile when these freezes happen would be more helpful.
Hint since you use hugslib too, you can use the green "Share log" button at the log window (need to enable developer mode at the option then the top left icon to open the log window), for a link that integrate modlist and logfile.

fetusthebard

Quote from: Canute on January 10, 2020, 02:50:15 AM
is this logfile from after one of these random happening or just from regular gameplay ?
There isn't any error, which mosttimes are the reason for such freezes.
Yes, that's why I originally thought it was a load-order or compatibility problem, and used a Mod Sorter to try to fix the problem. If I can grab a log while the crash is happening, that'd be ideal, but it freezes randomly a couple minutes into the game, and it's very difficult to grab it at the right time. I guess that's my next step here.

As for the log I posted, yes, that was a log that was outputted after the crash. Or, I should say, that's the log that was in my Data folder after the crash. Since you guys have the save now, if I can capture the log before the crash I'll let you know with an attachment to this post.

EDIT: So now it is not reliably crashing. Which is problematic, as that makes this capturing of the log much harder.

Canute

And it is a different if Rimworld crash, which give you a message window and a crash folder and when rimworld got forced ended which give you nothing.

Some people report some issue when they launcher Rimworld over the steam launcher/steam overlay.
Could you try out to start rimworld direct from the installation folder and check if you encounter any issues ?

fetusthebard

Quote from: Canute on January 11, 2020, 03:05:48 AM
Some people report some issue when they launcher Rimworld over the steam launcher/steam overlay.
I'm running DRM-Free. I should have mentioned that earlier. But good news! I got it to "crash" again (you were right, it's not legitimately crashing, it's freezing up and then windows forces me to close the program). I'm going to keep trying, but I do have a log from that last one. It's attached. Might not have what I'm missing there, but it might. I don't know.

Edit: Looking over the log, it seems the game locked up after a Hospitality visitor group was turned away, and it also seems like there were some slave-pawns spawned with them. Those two mods might be the culprit: a combination of auto-sending away Hospitality pawns with slaves involved. I'm not sure yet, still reloading the save.

fetusthebard

Canute

QuoteEdit: Looking over the log, it seems the game locked up after a Hospitality visitor group was turned away
No thats a standard msg. because Hospitality ask you at the first visitor group while you don't got visitor beds.
Once you build visitor bed's you should get visitor's.

But the log don't realy show some good hints about why it crashes.
There are sound output's (Verse.Sound.SubSustainer ) but i don't think that are the reasons.

So at last i don't can help you further.
I would suggest to try different mods.
EPoE don't get supported anymore so maybe try Rah's Bionic (RBSE).
GlitterTech, is a very overpowered and don't get supperted too. Sure it got some realy nice things but once you got weapons from this mod, only commando's and Orion are dangerous.

fetusthebard

Well, can't be helped. Is anyone else free to give this a once-over? I'm taking out mods one at a time (other than the Alphas, as my base and pets are both alpha animals and biomes). I think the sound issue might be something, if I recall when it freezes there's always music going.

fetusthebard

If this can be closed, the issue is resolved. It was Dubs Hygiene that was causing the crashes. After over two hours without the mod, no more crashing.

Canute

Good you found a solution.
But i don't think it is Dubs Hygiene itself, or we would get much more similar reports since it is very popular.
It is more another mod that don't work well together it it.

kronkdark

All mods can conflict with each other, im having the same problem with you, found a mod that conflict. Removed it, i thought i solved the problem, but at mid-late game it happening again

fetusthebard

Quote from: Canute on January 28, 2020, 01:57:48 AM
But i don't think it is Dubs Hygiene itself, or we would get much more similar reports since it is very popular.
There are actually a couple other open bug reports about Dubs Hygiene. It does have to do with the sound issues we were ruminating about, unfortunately, the new Dubs has a bug that is sending constant senseless logs because of some defs that apparently have no listed sound match. Removing (or rather making them not send repeat logs) didn't fix the issue in my case, although it seems to have worked for that OP and some others. Dunno what the actual issue is, but it must be in conflict with a pretty popular mod.