Question about A.I core

Started by HatesYourFace, July 31, 2014, 09:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatesYourFace

Quick question for my fellow colonists, I currently have a rather large group (8 or 9 Scythers and 4 or 5 Crawlers) of mechanoid's sitting at the bottom of the map near what use to be the crashed ship, which I mortared into oblivion...however the A.I. Core is sitting out next to them and I almost destroyed it with the last salvo, I've ceased firing on them and they seem content to just sit down there, attempts at picking them off with sniper fire haven't worked, and I've been unable to lure them away from the Core... and I'm now stuck between a full frontal assault in hopes of saving and taking the Core, or continued Mortar fire which will probably destroy it.

My question for you is; Is this a one time event? Will I get another Core if I destroy this one? If so any idea how long it will take for this event to happen again randomly? Thanks in advance for all the help!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: HatesYourFace on July 31, 2014, 09:15:25 AM
Quick question for my fellow colonists, I currently have a rather large group (8 or 9 Scythers and 4 or 5 Crawlers) of mechanoid's sitting at the bottom of the map near what use to be the crashed ship, which I mortared into oblivion...however the A.I. Core is sitting out next to them and I almost destroyed it with the last salvo, I've ceased firing on them and they seem content to just sit down there, attempts at picking them off with sniper fire haven't worked, and I've been unable to lure them away from the Core... and I'm now stuck between a full frontal assault in hopes of saving and taking the Core, or continued Mortar fire which will probably destroy it.

My question for you is; Is this a one time event? Will I get another Core if I destroy this one? If so any idea how long it will take for this event to happen again randomly? Thanks in advance for all the help!

None of my colonies have survived long enough to get that event, but I assume it should appear more than once just as an anti-frustration measure
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

HatesYourFace

I'm Thinking so as well, but I can't bring myself to destroy it until I know for sure!

The situation as it stands now:

When are the people from Daughters Rock gonna realize my colony isn't exactly the best place to visit at this particular juncture Lol? (I think the Muffalo starved...Since I'm pretty sure the Mechanoids don't fire on them usually?)
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Rahjital

Do you have sniper rifles? If so, try kiting the scythers away with a sniper and lure them into a trap where plenty of people in cover will be able to shoot them from close range. Once scythers are gone, you can micromanage your snipers into shooting the centipedes from outside of their range.

Shinzy

The even can happen more than once
I've gotten three AI cores on my current playthrough
they're still pretty rare
like once a year ratio =P

Eventually there's going to be firendlies or bandits that will take care of the
mechanoids for you if you wait long enough though.
I had to wait for the longest time for retrieving each AI core myself, too
patience works every time =P

ParagonTerminus

Well, try a bit of a suicidal strategy: take your least favourite coloniet running around as bait. Try to draw away 1-2 mechanoids at a time and have the rest of your colonists butcher them.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

rimy86

I've actually run into the same situation before. I used a more of a hit and run tactic.
I came close to them with a group of 4, not firing just getting them in the vicinity. As soon the mechanoids notice and start to fire I lure them close to the turrets.
I was able to salvage the AI Core then.

vagineer1

My strategy is a bit cheaty but it works. When the ship part falls, shoot it, see what comes out and if you don't like it, reload a save from before the part fell.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

HatesYourFace

Several bandit raids have weakened the group, and I'll prolly try destroying them soon, glad to hear you can get more than one in case it gets blown up on accident lol! Thanks for the help/suggestions guys!

Bog

Quote from: HatesYourFace on July 31, 2014, 10:03:46 AMI think the Muffalo starved...Since I'm pretty sure the Mechanoids don't fire on them usually?
Shots can hit things between the shooter and the intended target.

When you have a herd of muffalos standing between a bunch of mechanoids and colonists that are blasting away at each other they tend to catch a lot of bullets.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

HatesYourFace

Yeah, I think your right, the muffalo prolly caught some crossfire during a firefight, to be honest the mechanoids have been a great asset lol, thinning out potential raids, killing fleeing bandits, destroying siege camps near them...I'm thinking of letting them stay lol.

Ink.

By the way, if you have enough of a relationship with another faction that isn't your enemy, you should be able to request military assistance at a relationship penalty. If you're looking for a clean but quick way perhaps you could do that and then as a group effort push an assault with them, just being focused on letting the AI fall as your meatshields and providing a safer damage output.

Damien Hart

Yeah, I had three ship parts crash in my last game, but I'm pretty sure the third was actually a disguised clown car, because it managed to squeeze out no less than 37 mechanoids...

Coenmcj

Quote from: Damien Hart on August 06, 2014, 01:49:13 AM
Yeah, I had three ship parts crash in my last game, but I'm pretty sure the third was actually a disguised clown car, because it managed to squeeze out no less than 37 mechanoids...

Poor luck with the mechanoids, but that did bring to mind a favourite quote of mine,
"The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns... we fight them too. Entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagens."

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Shinzy

Quote from: Coenmcj on August 06, 2014, 02:44:36 AM
Quote from: Damien Hart on August 06, 2014, 01:49:13 AM

Poor luck with the mechanoids, but that did bring to mind a favourite quote of mine,
"The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns... we fight them too. Entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagens."

I can sense a Clowncar/Mechanoidclowns retexture mod coming out
any moment now =P

(and that's a real flattering signature Coenmcj! *blush*)