The Big Patch Notes Topic

Started by Semmy, November 04, 2013, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrigi

Quote from: Galileus on November 07, 2013, 07:41:03 PM
Quote from: lordgiza on November 07, 2013, 06:53:29 PMThink about how often the circuitry in your house short circuits during the rain, or the power lines that are just hanging there outside all the time.

World logic vs. game logic.
And usually game logic winds up being downright silly. Artificial difficulty is usually not fun.

deadbeat88

Whatever you do, don't do it!

Galileus

Quote from: Morrigi on November 07, 2013, 08:56:22 PMAnd usually game logic winds up being downright silly. Artificial difficulty is usually not fun.

All difficulty in games is artificial difficulty :) What my point is - argument about game logic needs to consist of pros and cons for the game, not it's real-world counterpart.

Also - Morrigi like in these traders with these pesky automated droids making my huge, powerfull guns seem useless? :P

vince0018

Comparing it to real life / realism was a mistake on my part I suppose hehe.

I just think it will make the game more interesting, more 'action' etc.
I mean if the power lines in the ground can malfunction, why not the ones in the walls?

deadbeat88

Quote from: vince0018 on November 08, 2013, 08:56:31 PM
I mean if the power lines in the ground can malfunction, why not the ones in the walls?

power line walls are already imbalanced.
1. HP so low, frag grenades can blow it up leaving fire and destruction
2. unlike conduit lines, powerline in walls are enclosed so it should be safe from short-circuit
3. im more in favour of capacity-based power lines. they short-circuit when there are not enough power connections. eg. 1 conduit line to connect 10 turrets. (thats 1500w!)
4. if they gonna implement that, they need to add more content to the game.
eg. wall types, rock types, underground lines(still vulnerable to short-circuit)

lordgiza

Quote from: deadbeat88 on November 09, 2013, 10:52:50 PM
3. im more in favour of capacity-based power lines. they short-circuit when there are not enough power connections. eg. 1 conduit line to connect 10 turrets. (thats 1500w!)
That's what I'm hoping this game will have. An entire realistic electrical system will really make the game awesome.

Thubin

While I like the idea of a power capacity for the lines; let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Assuming you have power cords just laying out (Lets ignore the walls for a moment), we can RP that the rain on the world is more acidic, or not even water. In the frontier environment, the insulation is not the best and breaks down quickly in the exotic rain. The liquid is still conductive, however, and therefore shorts the power line out quickly.

That's the way I reconcile it anyway...
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

mrfrosty

How do I update my game? Im at .250 public build not .254 or whatever it is

Produno

As thubin said, we dont know what the atmosphere is like. Besides how do we know these guys havnt just shoved some copper windings down some plastic conduit, it wouldnt be very reliable.

Depending on the atmosphere and considering the abilities and materials available i think Tynans direction is actually pretty realistic.

As for capacity based lines that wouldnt work without a whole load of other mechanics. The capacity is based on the csa of the cable, whos to say they havnt used a nice thick bit of cable on that run. So everything as it stands is completely feasible,  but anyway its a game. If you want realistic you need to take in effect of resistance and volt drop and power factors plus a whole host of other things.

Anyways ill stop now cos im sure this is not the thread to be discussing this.

deadbeat88

Quote from: mrfrosty on November 12, 2013, 02:17:08 PM

you are provided with download link sent to your email. use that.

@Produno: yes, Im not saying that they should implement it now, but its a possibility that should be looked at in the future updates.

I also like the idea of  acidic environment, though I would prefer it to damage all metallic objects, not the walls (for hard mode, that is. ;D)

Darthaidan

I went to look and It said that my downloads were all gone for my windows. I had 3 before I think, but that shouldn't matter because there should have been a new email which I must not have gotten. So any help with my problem I am looking forward to playing the new patches.

Semmy

Quote from: Darthaidan on November 13, 2013, 12:56:16 PM

I went to look and It said that my downloads were all gone for my windows. I had 3 before I think, but that shouldn't matter because there should have been a new email which I must not have gotten. So any help with my problem I am looking forward to playing the new patches.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=985.0
email tynan or make a post in support please.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Greuslich

Quote from: lordgiza on November 07, 2013, 03:48:50 PM
"Walls now short circuit as well as power conduits."

This sounds like a really bad idea. I mean absolutely horrific.

How about to implement fuses, to be placed betwen the batteries and the whole power net. So in case of an short the fuse gets blown up (or just damaged and stay disabled untill repaired) to protect the batteries from discharge.

PS: just for now its advisably to get some charged batteries disconected untill need, so they are kinda safe from discharging shorts.

deadbeat88

Quote from: Greuslich on November 17, 2013, 12:28:24 PM
How about to implement fuses, to be placed betwen the batteries and the whole power net.
I was about to suggest that. I also wanted to dedicate my batteries to specific object(s). coz obviously you cant put batteries outside beside a turret anymore. :(

PS: just for now its advisably to get some charged batteries disconected untill need, so they are kinda safe from discharging shorts.
That is still prone to short-circuit and explosion . I dont even know how it that possible. I have 4 disconnected batteries away from any wall, they still exploded. weird. ???

Bradski

So I noticed Ty said the next update wouldn't be for a little bit, but could we get a rough ETA? Slowly running out of stuff to do. D: