Royalty buggy as ****

Started by Ortholad, May 31, 2020, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ortholad

So, non-PC gamer (Old guy/board gamer) here finding hours (like 1000) of enjoyment with Rimworld: a world I can control in a world that is out of control. My Royals "upgrade": tiltle screen starts with a pop-up "bug log" full of jibberish which I can delete, then the game plays with almost no succesful quests, maybe 1 in 6 doesn't drop a "could not resolve any root:Quest Description" error message. I see mention of this error on other board posts, but no ideas how to resolve them. I am obviously no modder, so I think I am using the latest "pure" download from Ludeon. I did buy the original game from GOG rather than Steam so maybe that's part of my problem? I am clueless how to wfix this other than continued re-download but this hasn't helped. Any suggestions for a total noob?

Canute

Hi fellow old guy,
if you don't use mods but still have errors.
You should delete the whole Data (not the ..._data) folder at your rimworld installation and let steam repair it (at the properties verify integry or similar).
Prolly something borked at the steam update process.

Ortholad

Thanks for the reply Canute! I bought the game from "GOG" Galaxy of Games, not Steam, and don't have an account with Steam. I have to see if there is any support from them (GOG) rather than Ludeon I gather? I got the Royals update from Ludeon directly (I think) with an e-mail link to download. I have more download tries available and the read.me instructions said to simply put the new data folder into the old data folder...maybe I should delete the existing data folder and try again? The learning curve has been steep to enjoy Rimworld but worth it...hopefully a fix will also be worth the time.

Canute

GoG version is like the DRM-free version i suppose.
When you played 1.0 before and then upgrade to 1.1 and just overinstalled at your previous folder some old files didn't got deleted.
Then you need to remove these old files.
I think the GOG uninstall will remove all, but can't verify that.
But manual delete the complete install folder works for sure.
Then just reinstall it.
So you general suppose is right, you should allways delete existing folders before you copy/unzip them to prevent these glitches.
Mosttimes overwriting works fine, until the devs change the filestructure and split/rename files and these remain. Rimworld browser through all files and try to interprete these.

It is just important that when Rimworld started, the log window shouldn't show up to show errors.

Since you use GOG you won't have access to the steam Workshop for mods but a nice modder made offline modmanager which allow you to download anonymous workshop mods.
Take a look at these discord channel and get the latest developer build and follow the install instruction under #documation.

https://discord.gg/SAx5umn