Insect hive spawning in unopened ancient structure

Started by asanbr, December 31, 2020, 08:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanbr

Is it normal/intended that an insect hive spawns inside an unopened ancient structure?

My base was built next to one but I haven't opened it yet. I like to have them close so that I can open them during a raid and have the spacers/mechs fight the attackers. So I've built my base entrance next to one but not opened it yet.

Parts of the unopened room is in my home zone due to the automatic home zone extension that happens when building things nearby. And the unopened room is on the border of a mountain (I think they always are)

Canute

Did you maybe claim some of the wall's of the ancient ?
Then i could think that is the reason.
Did the hives spawn only inside or just close by the structure and some hive just opened inside ?
I think that could happen too, but i don't know certainly.

And the auto. homezone is one of the thing i disable first at a new colony. I don't want that some cleaner move across the map to clear a growing zone over an ambrosia sprout or over some defence wall i build temporary.

asanbr

Thanks for the reply and thoughts. I may have claimed a piece of wall but not sure about that. The hives spawned in some parts that I had mined out which were also next to the structure, but more hives spawned inside the structure than outside of it.

I read about insect hives somewhere after posting, and it says that they will spawn under any mountain roof within 30 cells from the colony. That certainly applies to my base since I was using the ancient walls for my kitchen and killbox.

But it has not always been like this, in older betas I played like this a lot too and never had a hive spawn like that. So it must have changed "recently" (in the past 3 or so years I guess).

Anyway, problem solved, or at least understood.

Canute

QuoteThe hives spawned in some parts that I had mined out which were also next to the structure
I don't know if the hive spawn got a checked not to spawn in area's they are still undiscovered or if they just check if there are space to spawn.

Basicly you could try to made a bug report about it if you want a clear statement. But it could take some time for responce.

Grax

Oh, you said traps...

And i wonder (z) why is it happens when my medic with 280% success in medical operations + glitter medicine in a room with sterile floors still make a critical error in surgery that kills colonist...
Is it a 1D20 critical error inherited from D&D?

Alenerel

Surgery success chance is capped at 99%, so there is always 1% of it failing, no matter how good is the doctor, medicine or medical bed.

SeminarCaviar

Quote from: Canute on January 01, 2021, 04:33:45 AM
Did you maybe claim some of the wall's of the ancient ?
Then i could think that is the reason.
Did the hives spawn only inside or just close by the structure and some hive just opened inside ?
I think that could happen too, but i don't know certainly.

And the auto. homezone is one of the thing i disable first at a new colony. I don't want that some cleaner move across the map to clear a growing zone over an ambrosia sprout or over some defence wall i build temporary.
Yeah you must have claimed something for it to happen.