Need help with rimworld

Started by AlexNAC04, February 06, 2021, 05:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexNAC04

i got a man hunter pack of 7 gazelles which caught my hunter and constructor off guard while one was gathering materials at both ends of the maps and the other killing a deer they downed both,my remaining colonist agroed them into the traps i built in the base,8 pit falls the animals were done for but my hunter got a infection in the torso and my constructor got a infection in his head and shoulder my remaining colonist didnt have any medical skill so he didnt even reach 20% tending quality with any tend of infections.I always die in the first months due to this shit rng,always 3 person plague always a huge raid always some mind bogling rng which just ruins the game,casandra is bad and chillax is worse so randy is the one to go,my seed is acrobat and i am playing on the blood and dust dificulty please help me

Canute

You notice self how important medicin and the proper skill are. Maybe you should roll your pawns that you got 2 with good medicin skill.
Don't forget to plant herbal medicin early, but that require skill 8, so another good idea to roll such a pawn.
Since medicin is much more important on infections then on wounds, you should set all your pawn's on doctor care only, so you don't waste your few medicin for minor wounds.
For the most infections it is enough that the pawn's stay at the bed and don't need any medicin either, they even can selftend if nessesary. But it is important that they stay in the bed and don't do anything like eating except their immunity is good before the infection.

Ark

Your doctor is always the one who gets shot, so you need at least two decent doctors.
Doctors on 5-day penoxycyline schedule when available. Penox for all when you can afford it.
Keep your base compact, time spent walking is time wasted. Mind the fires.
Don't build floors, they only get dirty and you waste time cleaning. The hospital and laboratory get sterile tile.
Without floors, cooking gets you food poisoning. Kitchen is too high-traffic area to keep clean. Use the nutrient paste dispenser.
Don't build ridiculous bedrooms. I consider 3x4 a good compromise. Double bed + end table + dresser to maximize rest effectiveness.
Don't gather excessive passive wealth like piles of gold and plasteel, go out and trade those for weapons and recon armor+ as early as possible.
When the enemy crashes through your bedroom roof, you don't want to run to the armoury and back for the shotgun/charge rifle/mace because you had a sniper rifle equipped.
Psychic lances are a cheatcode to victory when there are 40 guys with doomsday launchers marching towards your base.
Do not ignore infestations. The "friendly" infestation in the corner will throw 200 insects at you when you least expect it.
Facing impossible odds it's better to run and let them loot and burn, rather than to get everyone killed and watch everything burn anyway.
Beer and smokeleaf bad. Wake-up, psychite tea, ambrosia and chocolate good. Go-juice can turn a losing battle into a winning one. Luciferium can save a pawn from an otherwise hopeless infection, at a cost. Less important now that there are healer and resurrection serums.

Personally, I disable the Short circuit incident at the scenario editor. It is a remnant from the alpha era that should have been redesigned ages ago. Oh no, the 1 000 000 watt-days of power your space ship's anti-matter reactors have been accumulating for a year have just been discharged in a millisecond because somebody made a connection using barbed wire on the other side of the colony! That's a really big explosion! Much fire! Wow!

Now mods are an endless rabbit hole in RimWorld, and you need to keep your wits about or you end up with Cthulu-worshipping, T-rex-riding cybernetic Jedis. But.

The vanilla storage is just ridiculously inefficient. This square meter is dedicated entirely for this Cloth T-shirt (normal) 78/100, next to it is another square meter for a single potato etc.
I can't recommend LWM's Deep Storage (GitHub) and Little Storage 2 enough.

Firearms are ridiculously underpowered in vanilla. I guess it offsets the infinite ammo? Combat Extended (GitHub) fixes that. Mind the Centipedes. Keep the ammo enabled. Incompatible with many mods.
Simple sidearms (GitHub) unlocks the heavy wizardry of carrying more than one weapon to battle.

Finally, you don't NEED to play on Blood and dust. You are clearly not having much fun. There is nothing to prove, tune it down to Strive to survive.

AlexNAC04

AlexNAC04

Quote from: Ark on February 07, 2021, 06:05:27 AM
i was in the second month of the game since i crashlanded on the first of jugust and i barelly had researched batteries since my colonists were busy building the structure which defends them and houses them

Alenerel

maybe you chose too high difficulty? also the tropical biomes tend to have much higher chance of plague

Ark

The second-hardest difficulty is going to punish you severly for taking risks you don't know about and making mistakes you don't know you are making. You could learn the hard way, one smoldering ruin at a time, or go watch tutorials / let's plays on Youtube.
Perhaps it is easiest if you start a new game, pick Adventure story difficulty, and settle a temperate forest with year-around growing period. Next to a road, with friendly faction bases near-ish. See how it goes.
You can always change the difficulty from Options --> Storyteller settings.

Edit: You could keep playing your current save. You should get more positive events now that you are down to one pawn. RimWorld is pretty good at not quite killing all of you, it wants you to stay alive and suffer. You usually have an option to not get everybody killed.
Tynan calls it a story generator. The three of you crashlanded on an alien planet, and your buddies just got mauled by presumed-herbivorous local wildlife. What do you do?

There are many ways of playing RimWorld. Some play on Peaceful and recreate Rivendell. Some recreate Auschwitz.

charlesthomas192

QuoteThe second-hardest difficulty is going to punish you severly for taking risks you don't know about and making mistakes you don't know you are making. You could learn the hard way, one smoldering ruin at a time, or go watch tutorials / let's plays on Youtube.

I can confirm: I've been there! Ive learnt the hard way cause watching let's plays on Youtube was too boring.
But you have to have patience: can't tell how many times my ... burnt!

Hilvon1984

If you play in temperate forest (as any new Rimworlder should) you should have some harvestable wild healroot. It should give you some medicine to use for tending **nonlethal wounds**. In assign tab, switch all colonists to only use herbal medicine or worse, so they don't spend industrial medpacks on bruises and minor bleeds. This way when you actually need to tend serious wounds fast - you still have some good meds.

Secondly - poor tend quality is not something that usually kills a colonist during infection. The most usual culprit is... hunger. If your colonist is not well fed, his immunity gain speed is cut by a third and even with decent tend quality, might not be enough to outpace infection with this handicap.
And of course, people with infections should only be resting in bed. Not on the sleeping spot, but in actual bed (gives +10% to immunity gain speed) or at least a bedroll (+5%)

And if you absolutely want to get as much of a tend quality as possible - make sure the medical room is clean, and spot where doctor stands is lit (at least 50% light) so you don't get unnecesary handicaps.

Now for general advice:
Plant rice as soon as possible. My usual play is to make 1 growing area of about 30 tiles and plant it with rice. Then when the first area is completed, make a second similar sized area, again - with rice. When the first one is ready, replant it with corn. And once you get the first corn harves, replant the other one with corn too.
Don't rely on hunting too much. Yes, you do need meat to make something other that simple meals, but hunting tends to put your colonists into exposed positions like you described, when a raid or manhunters can catch them out of position.

StlyAu

The quality of the bed the patient is laying in also helps with immunity/rest gain. Always go for the best you can, Good or better.