[1.3.3066] Growing Zones can't Harvest with Auto-Cut off. Tree Desire Issue

Started by codyo, July 20, 2021, 04:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyo

Trying to play as a Tree Desiring ideology tribe.

Growers can't automatically harvest from zones with "Allow-Cutting" Off and "Allow Sowing" on.

If "Allow Cutting" is on, then they will harvest but begin chopping down the trees they love inside the growing zone...

megabot

when placing a growth zone and having a tree not be in but besides it the tree will still be cut down even if it has plantcutting disabled, probably because the tree is not insdie the zone and thus doesn't get counted

megabot

when a growth zone has allow cut disabled it will not only not cut plants such as grass or trees but it will also make colonists refuse to harvest  the fully grown plants from me, unless i set them to be harvested(with the command) manually. setting the plants to be cut again will also cut the trees as well

zgrssd

Rich Explorer Start.
I have a very low skill planter (Planting 1).
I have a 5x5 Rice field, with some Trees in it.

The Planter will prefer cutting trees in the field over actually sowing the already free tiles.
This even happens even when I turn off "allow cutting".
I can ocassionally overwrite him to sow on one tile - but he invariably goes back to cutting the tree.

Canute

You know a tree need more space then 1x1 it is growing ?
When the pawn wouldn't chop the tree he wouldn't be able to sow anything.

Edit: Maybe a picture, that show the growing zones with the tree might help.

zgrssd

Quote from: Canute on July 23, 2021, 03:13:40 AM
You know a tree need more space then 1x1 it is growing ?
When the pawn wouldn't chop the tree he wouldn't be able to sow anything.
There were plenty tiles that were > 1 hex from any trees. It choose to go for the trees anyway.

zgrssd

Edit: Somehow posted before I had finished writing it.

I was trying to get some mood bonus from sowing a few trees.
So I made a  Oak Planting Zone in a area where some oaks were already there.
I turned off cutting.

My pawn again starts cutting down trees, rather then using the dozen free tiles to just plant some first.

TheVillageGuy

If there is a good reason, colonists without tree cutting enabled will still do it. Growing, and construction are good reasons.

zgrssd

Quote from: TheVillageGuy on July 23, 2021, 03:25:01 PM
If there is a good reason, colonists without tree cutting enabled will still do it. Growing, and construction are good reasons.
He has a Religion with "Tree Connection".
The field is clearly marked as "do not cut, period".
He is trying to cut down the tree he is supposed to sow.

This one is literally sabotaging my colonies mood against my explicit orders. There is never a good rason for that.

arkyte

Weird. For me it works fine when planting normal crops. I didn't test with planting trees. The zone even considers adjacent trees.

zgrssd

Quote from: arkyte on July 23, 2021, 04:15:05 PM
Weird. For me it works fine when planting normal crops. I didn't test with planting trees. The zone even considers adjacent trees.
I am guessing there is some extra code for Trees.

As they need at least 1 distance to each other, the ideal pattern is a checkerboard. And hte game definitely tries to follow that one. However existing trees that fall outside the pattern are a problem. Cutting the right tree can enable up to 4 additional trees

mayoculpa

When I was doing a tree connection run, I had to shrink the growing zone to give all existing trees 1 tile of empty space around them in every direction. And also shrink the growing zone away from any tree I'd planted as soon as it was planted. Otherwise my pawns would "harvest" ready-to-harvest trees inside the growing zone, even though it was against their beliefs.

A toggle button to turn off harvesting would make it easier to avoid this, without having to micromanage shrinking the growing zones.

Canute

That tree's need more then the 1x1 tile it is planted is nothing new. I think a tree need 2x2 area and can be planted anwhere in that area.
I allways created 1x1 growing zones with 1 tile space at each direction.
Sure you can create a big growing zone but then he pawn's mosttimes plant them in a strange ineffetive pattern.

QuoteA toggle button to turn off harvesting
I didn't played ideology so far, but isn't that what the allow cutting button is for ?

mayoculpa

Quote from: Canute on July 24, 2021, 01:44:57 AM
QuoteA toggle button to turn off harvesting
I didn't played ideology so far, but isn't that what the allow cutting button is for ?

The allow cutting does not have that effect - that's the main point of this thread. Maybe it prevents the manual "Harvest" and "Cut plants" commands from the Architect menu from working? But when trees are in the grow zone and "ready to harvest," your growers will harvest them even when "allow cutting" is turned off. Even if the pawns believe that cutting trees is a warcrime and are tanking their own mood by doing so.

That's why I micromanaged it, following around my tree-loving pawns and manually removing the grow zone from under each tree as soon as it was sown.

So either the "allow cutting" toggle SHOULD work the way we all expected it to, or another toggle should be added that allows us to prevent the harvesting of trees within a growing zone. The way I did it works for a small colony with only one or two growers, but for most playstyles it's very inefficient.

zgrssd

The game now does follow a checkerboard pattern automatically. No micromanagement with 1 tile growingzones invlolved. Propably one of the many 1.3 changes.

But also the problem here, as it seems to circumvent cutting retrictions.