Toilets

Started by Nikon_, August 02, 2021, 03:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikon_

I wanted to suggest adding toilets, I'm not dumb! Such a michanic will add many different diseases such as diarrhea and so on, it will also add hardcoreness, moreover, I have an idea for an animation of going to the toilet, an idea: when a character is in the toilet a couple of cells to blur

Canute

Since Dubs Bad Hygiene exist since along time i don't think that mod don't made it into the basegame.

GoblinCookie

Water is surely more important than toilets.

zgrssd

Quote from: GoblinCookie on August 02, 2021, 03:27:59 PM
Water is surely more important than toilets.
Also part of Dubs Hygiene.

GoblinCookie

Quote from: zgrssd on August 03, 2021, 08:29:49 AM
Also part of Dubs Hygiene.

I know, but I don't find it very well implemented. 

Bolgfred

Quote from: Nikon_ on August 02, 2021, 03:32:58 AM
when a character is in the toilet a couple of cells to blur
Who cares about the blur? The important question is: what happens if a jaguar enters the toilet while interaction? And: will a pawn cancel action when enemies apporoch? Or can they shot and sh**? Will they drop their pants if canceling?
So many things must be reconsidered? :D

IIRC ages ago Tynan said something like "I will never add drinking to this game... gfto"
And I basically agree on that opinion, as recreation and hunger already take enough schedule time. adding a third element of.. surprise, could keep a pawn buys 100% a day as scheduling isn't able to say, go poop then hunt and not otherwise.
So, I think, nice idea with much potential of disgust, but not fitting the game mechanics. If you want toilets, play ONI :-)
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

GoblinCookie

Quote from: Bolgfred on August 03, 2021, 04:39:05 PM
Who cares about the blur? The important question is: what happens if a jaguar enters the toilet while interaction? And: will a pawn cancel action when enemies apporoch? Or can they shot and sh**? Will they drop their pants if canceling?
So many things must be reconsidered? :D

No, because like everything else in the game it can be mechanically simplified.  The pawn would simply stop pooping mid-action with an incomplete bar and fight the jaguar. 

Quote from: Bolgfred on August 03, 2021, 04:39:05 PM
IIRC ages ago Tynan said something like "I will never add drinking to this game... gfto"
And I basically agree on that opinion, as recreation and hunger already take enough schedule time. adding a third element of.. surprise, could keep a pawn buys 100% a day as scheduling isn't able to say, go poop then hunt and not otherwise.
So, I think, nice idea with much potential of disgust, but not fitting the game mechanics. If you want toilets, play ONI :-)

This is a game about survival and water is far more important for survival than food is.  You can go many more days without food than you can without water. 

zgrssd

Quote from: GoblinCookie on August 04, 2021, 10:56:45 AM

This is a game about survival and water is far more important for survival than food is.  You can go many more days without food than you can without water.
This is a game where a seaon lasts 15 days and a year 60.
Pawns would do nothing BUT drink 24/7 if the need for water was modelled remotely realistic.

GoblinCookie

Quote from: zgrssd on August 04, 2021, 05:08:02 PM
This is a game where a seaon lasts 15 days and a year 60.
Pawns would do nothing BUT drink 24/7 if the need for water was modelled remotely realistic.

Correct, but not relevant.  Nobody implied that pawns drinking amount would have to be realistic.

RawCode

is watching your pawns poop and pee ever remotely fun?
is tracking long list of needs like hunger, thirst, vitamins, proteins, fibers, whatever is ever remotely fun?

what exactly reason behind have __multiple__ "consume X every Y" ?

Ark

Assuming a tile is about 1x1 meters, pawns move about 30x slower than in real world.
They would spend way too much time running between toilets, showers etc.
The bedrooms that the pawns complain about being too small take them 2-3 ingame minutes to walk across.
Say you speed the pawns up, suddenly the melee guys are in your face before you get a shot off, then you need to up the firearms range x30, then you need to up the map size 30x30=900 times.

GoblinCookie

Quote from: RawCode on August 06, 2021, 11:04:12 AM
is watching your pawns poop and pee ever remotely fun?
is tracking long list of needs like hunger, thirst, vitamins, proteins, fibers, whatever is ever remotely fun?

what exactly reason behind have __multiple__ "consume X every Y" ?

Yes, it is very fun.  What isn't fun is having to mod it in and thus having the limitations of modding attached to it.  The main purpose of having pawns poop is actually to make fertilizer to replace the fertility that should be lost through farming but somehow isn't, thus missing out on another main concern of survival. 

The reason to track water is that it makes survival in certain environments harder.  Desert survival for instance is presently a joke, I got a gun I can shoot ostriches and plant potatoes, so I survive the desert.  Without water, we basically cannot do justice to certain environments, in a desert not only do you have to drink but your crops have to drink as well. 

The problems caused by a finite water supply in a desert.

Quote from: Ark on August 06, 2021, 02:23:35 PM
Assuming a tile is about 1x1 meters, pawns move about 30x slower than in real world.
They would spend way too much time running between toilets, showers etc.
The bedrooms that the pawns complain about being too small take them 2-3 ingame minutes to walk across.
Say you speed the pawns up, suddenly the melee guys are in your face before you get a shot off, then you need to up the firearms range x30, then you need to up the map size 30x30=900 times.

An argument you can make about anything.  Ultimately this is a game, the pawns can move as fast or as slow as you want them too and do things as fast or slowly as you want them too.  Timing is not an issue if it's your game.