[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

jackarbiter

I'm getting pink texture glitches with some helmets from Orion Corp, specifically the Orion Corporation Helmet:

<texPath>Things/Pawn/Humanlike/Apparel/AdvancedHelmet/AdvancedHelmet</texPath>
<worngraphicPath>Things/Pawn/Humanlike/Apparel/MilitaryHelmet/MilitaryHelmet</worngraphicPath>

I've changed the worngraphicPath to AdvancedHelmet/AdvancedHelmet and it works fine. Not sure if anyone else got this.

Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

Wendigo

Thanks for the update, Sam_, glad to have Glittertech and a hefty lategame back.

Plasmatic

What would I need to do in order to make HC-1 Shields craftable? (using the no surgury version if that makes a difference)

coldcell

Never tried this mod before, but I'm confused what's the difference between the normal version and the no-surgery version?

I have RBSE installed if that makes any difference.

Plasmatic

Quote from: coldcell on June 12, 2017, 02:20:51 PM
Never tried this mod before, but I'm confused what's the difference between the normal version and the no-surgery version?

I have RBSE installed if that makes any difference.

Glittertech has a version with surgery similar to RBSE, but not as fleshed out, hence the no surgery version to ensure compatibility

kingofbox

So, i don't exactly know, where to i type the problem, so i just gonna write it here (im nab in this forum ;-;)

Im having problem with automatic mortars, after installing them, they may work for a season or two, but after some time, it simply stop working (Not shooting at anything). It still spins around and "looking for targets", bu whenever i do force target or hostile appers, its simply still looking fo targets...

I would appreciate if anybody knows how to fix the problem!

Canute

kingofbox, sorry but your description sounds like :
My car don't drive anymore, but the window wiper still works.

If you got hugslib instaled, open the devbug log window, click at the share log button down left, upload the log and post the link here.
Without hugslib, at the Rinworldxxx_data you find output_log.txt, attach this to a message, maybe zip/rar it if is too big.

With this information maybe Sam_ can find the problem.

A temp. fix for yourself, use the dev. tool to destroy the not working mortar, and replace it with the god mode.

kingofbox

Alright, so should i create log while mortar is still working or when mortar stopped properly work?

Canute

I think at first a log when the mortars didn't work anymore.
Sam_ the author need to decide what he need else. But you are the only one so far which got the problem, so i think its prolly a modconflict.

kingofbox

MMAciek

Stand among the millions of dead souls and ask them if they honor means something. Silence will be your answer.

hoaxdream

im having error only when clicking on EMRG turret

Cannot draw radius ring of radius 60: not enough squares in the precalculated list.
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.GenDraw:DrawRadiusRing(IntVec3, Single)
RimWorld.Building_TurretGun:DrawExtraSelectionOverlays()
RimWorld.SelectionDrawer:DrawSelectionOverlays()
RimWorld.MapInterface:MapInterfaceUpdate()
RimWorld.UIRoot_Play:UIRootUpdate()
Verse.Root:Update_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

moonra

If you like the tech stuff in this mod but absolutely hate how unbalanced the equipment is, I've made a balancing patch that, of course IMO, makes the weapons and armor much more reasonable. I also fixed the many spelling and grammar errors in the files I modified, didn't had the patience to go through them all, sorry. Oh, I also added weight to those equipment as well.

Just get the attachment and past it on your mod folder, replacing the files when asked, of course. This is for the No Surgery version because why the heck would you even use the other one, just get EPOE.

Edit: Removed the attachment based on feedback and because honestly it was a rush job to make me not have to deal with the OP equipment in my game, so I have no issues admitting I did a poor job of balancing, which I claimed to have done.

Hammerskyne

Quote from: moonra on June 27, 2017, 01:08:45 PM
If you like the tech stuff in this mod but absolutely hate how unbalanced the equipment is, I've made a balancing patch that, of course IMO, makes the weapons and armor much more reasonable. I also fixed the many spelling and grammar errors in the files I modified, didn't had the patience to go through them all, sorry. Oh, I also added weight to those equipment as well.

Just get the attachment and past it on your mod folder, replacing the files when asked, of course. This is for the No Surgery version because why the heck would you even use the other one, just get EPOE.

Your changes to the nano-skin and speed-skin seem pretty resonable, but pretty much all the rest seem to be overnerfs. Lowering the range, damage, accuracy, and more than doubling the cooldown and warmup of the EMRG-1 for instance, makes it a weapon I'd basically never use. And note; I totally agree the base glittertech values are hilariously overpowered, to the point that I have in the past just removed the orion corp and APB-1 weaponry altogether.

If you're interested, I'd like to make a few statements about the (assumed) role of the Glittertech items and their place in the game. I'm not the mod author and so I can't claim to speak authoritatively though.

Firstly, the Glittertech armor is clearly a step up from Rimworld Power Armor. It has better armor values, better insulation, and a lower movespeed and workspeed penalty. Mostly, that's fine, and I never really find it to be super problematic when playing. A soldier in Nano Armor is a beast of a tank, and not nearly as slow as we're used to powersuited pawns being, but Nano Armor is rare and precious, and unless you play with a mending mod (which totally throws much of the game balance out the window to start with) won't last you forever. If I had to make changes to it, I'd increase the value, and raise the deterioration rate.

The Skin suits are in a similar place in that they're just sublime tech suited to specific tasks. I'd say the speed suit having a 400% work speed bonus is just silly, lowering that to 60% is totally reasonable. I'm not sure I'd reduce the move bonus as much as you have, but I really don't think that's a totally unreasonable change either. Again, I'd say increased deterioration rate (or is it lowered durability? I'm thinking they just wear out faster from being worn, not decaying super fast on the ground) and vastly increased value/rarity would be good changes here.

The EMRG weapons are super hard hitting railguns, intended to engage heavily armored targets such as mechanoids and Nano-Suited soldiers. The accuracy should be top notch, and the damage should be high. I would agree to a range reduction down to 60 or so for the rifle, just based on the spalling and mass loss from thermal bloom a hypersonic projectile experiences in atmosphere, and similarly I think the cooldown should be relatively high. But for the rifle I don't think a 3+ second warmup makes sense. What is causing that, in your mind? Is the loading mechanism complicated? Or do the sights take forever to settle in? Remember that this is a weapon that is the product of a hyper advanced civilization (especially compared to the tribal-industrial tech level we as players have access to) And things like smart sighting and gyro stabilization are already being incorporated into experimental weaponry on earth. On the other hand, materials stresses and heat dissipation ensure that a railgun firing solid projectiles in atmo is going to have to cool down after shots and that makes a 4ish second 'reload' reasonable in the context of the game.

That whole load of text leads into the problems with the APB-1 and the OC weapons. Anion-Particle weapons in theory should be fairly inaccurate because of atmospheric interaction, and the damage should be simultaneously terrifying and surprisingly weak against things like human targets. A particle sized hole through you could kill you instantly, or be almost negligible depending on where it was. The game conceit of the shots igniting targets makes them useful in game, perhaps too much so, and leaves them in a weird spot of being overpowered even with globally reduced damage/accuracy/warmup and cooldown values as in your tweaks. I'd probably make more drastic changes than you have, for example cutting the rifle down to 35 range, and giving it a 30/55/65/40 range spread, while changing it from a burst 4 to a single shot. I'd say keep the warmup and refire very low, and just envision it as a spitfire particle weapon; intended to chew tons of holes through whatever you're shooting at, the cover they're behind, and the terrain around them. At the same time, remove the ignition property from the bullet definition and try to do something to make it totally bypass armor instead.

The OC Guns meanwhile, are the opposite half of the future tech trope. They're guns with all the benefits of advances in computing, materials sciences, machining and assembly. They're hilariously overpowered (the rifle especially) mostly because of the accuracy and the burst count (and the speed, and lets not forget the total damage) but they make sense from a perspective of the rest of the ideas in the mod. Good changes on the pistol overall, but I don't think a 1 second cooldown paired with a .3 second warmup change makes sense. One or the other imo. The reduction of the rifle's burst group is exactly the right change, but you coupled it with accuracy penalties and cooldown/warmup changes. If you think of the OC rifle as a futuristic combination of Assault rifle and SAW, then a midline change to accuracy and cooldown would make the most sense, and cement the gun's place as an excellent all arounder, superior to the APB rifles for most situations, but still outclassed against heavy armor.

Anyhow, (Way too)TL:DR; your changes aren't the worst, but I think you went too far in most cases just by dint of making too many extreme changes on each item. Still, your revised values are preferable to base GT, so that's a plus, eh? :)

Sam_

Quote from: moonra on June 27, 2017, 01:08:45 PM

Thanks for the, uh, kind feedback. Very encouraging as always. I should probably get that link removed since you didn't ask for permission, but if it means less discourse with other users that can't handle a spelling mistake then so be it.

Honestly, I often wonder why people spend so much time telling me the stats for items in my mod are undesirable to them. If you're willing to go into a hypothetical real world application of the technology I order to explain what you think is an accurate value for the in game item then perhaps you could simply make your own mod? That way to don't have to tell a mod developer what a terrible job he's done. Unless, of course, that's the point.