Patching a New Smithy

Started by Bud8013, November 17, 2021, 10:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud8013

Hello, first post on the forums.

Trying to create a new Smithy that runs on a different material however doesn't show the any recipes to smith. I tried both adding recipes through the Smithy <Recipes> like the Stoves <Recipes> and also patching items from their <RecipeMaker> <RecipeUser> section.

The only item that works is the Simple Helmet. All the rest of the armors and weapons use a ParentName such as <ArmorSmithableBase> and bring up the Patching Failed error.

Does anyone know how to patch Armors and Weapons that use base <RecipeMaker> like <ArmorSmithableBase> to add to the workbench.

Here is the patch I have for it:

<Operation Class="PatchOperationAdd">
   <order>Append</order>
   <xpath>Defs/ThingDef[defName = "ArmorSmithableBase"]/recipeMaker/recipeUsers</xpath>           
   <value>
      <li>MW_PoweredSmithy</li>
   </value>
</Operation>

I don't know why only the Simple Helmet works using this process. I can only guess it's due to it having a dedicated <RecipeMaker> section. Any help would be great.

cory3573

Did some quick poking around not everything consistently uses either method. I made some of my own defs and patches and any time I added a new recipe that wasn't linked to a parent object, it got it's own
<recipeUsers>
  <li>FabricationBench</li>
</recipeUsers>

Otherwise one or more of the parent objects will all need a recipeUsers entry, make sure you hop all the way up the parent chain and confirm you don't need to patch your bench in. I also noticed, a few items are no inherit and applied directly to a bench, for example <ThingDef Name="ApparelArmorReconBase" ParentName="ArmorMachineableBase" Abstract="True"> within the Apparel_Various has it's own override
      <recipeUsers Inherit="False">
        <li>FabricationBench</li>
      </recipeUsers>

You could painstakingly try and add an override to all the armor, weapon, and bases pointing to your new workbench

Bud8013

Thank you for the reply,

If you try to override the existing code through the Core.xml files directly ( Like a existing defThing like Apparel_PlateArmor ) rather then patch them, if any other mods using that same Defs file and item, it would bring up many errors due to conflicting files.

I am trying to figure out how to patch items that are smithable to work with my new workbench. Like I said, I used the same exact patching as stated above for getting the Simple Helmet to appear and it works, however, other items using a parentName don't due to the way that it is arranged.

I'm fine with patching each individual item to work with it for my mod but I don't know the "how" of it, like getting the Plate Armor or Knifes and Clubs to appear.

cory3573

Agreed touching existing files is a no go. The third code stack I presented works great I used this one to fix my missing surgeries

<recipeUsers>
  <li>Human</li>
</recipeUsers>

I took a look at the plate armor, knives and clubs and came up with a patch snippet for you. Let me know if it works

<Operation Class="PatchOperationSequence">
<operations>
<li Class="PatchOperationAdd">
<xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[@Name="BaseMeleeWeapon"]/recipeMaker/recipeUser</xpath>
<value><li>YourNewSmithy</li></value>
</li>
<xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[@Name="ArmorSmithableBase"]/recipeMaker/recipeUser</xpath>
<value><li>YourNewSmithy</li></value>
</li>
</operations>
</Operation>

Bud8013

Thank you for the help however I tried to insert it the best I could, however it brings up this error

Patch operation Verse.PatchOperationSequence
(count=2,lastFailedOperation=Verse.PatchOperationAdd
(/Defs/ThingDef[@Name="BaseMeleeWeapon"]/recipeMaker/recipeUser)) failed

It seems it just get stuck trying to figure out what it wants to do. I even modified the old patch I used a little to try to work it but even still it displays a error.

cory3573

My bad actually, change all the recipeUser to recipeUsers it's been little mistakes like this every time

Bud8013

I never realized it was <RecipeUser> not <RecipeUsers>, even when I was altering and changing the original patch. Sometimes XML can be a pain when you don't get it exact.

Thank you, it works exactly how I hoped.

Canute

Maybe try following websearch
"xml validator notepad++"

cory3573

Agree with Canute, I was using this tool to locate my XML paths https://xmltoolbox.appspot.com/xpath_generator.html
If anything doesnt have a defName use @Name from the main def or point at another node. Make sure to replace any numbers with identifiable nodes. Glad you got it figured out

cory3573

Quick update for you or anyone else who finds this thread!
If you make a new workbench you have to patch the work giver defs to include your new bench.
The location is */Core/Defs/WorkGiverDefs/WorkGivers.xml
Locate your associated worktype (DoBillsMakeWeapons,DoBillsMachiningTable,DoBillsCook,etc...) and insert your bench into the fixedBillGiverDefs list.
This is my snippet I used for my automated stove.

<xpath>/Defs/WorkGiverDef[defName="DoBillsCook"]/fixedBillGiverDefs</xpath>
<value><li>AutomatedElectricStove</li></value>
</li>
<xpath>/Defs/WorkGiverDef[defName="DoBillsBrew"]/fixedBillGiverDefs</xpath>
<value><li>AutomatedElectricStove</li></value>
</li>