Nonhuman colonists?

Started by frosty840, August 28, 2014, 10:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty840

MrDecay

I don't think their planned because it says here that there are no true aliens in the Rimworld universe.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison

Rahjital

It also says that genetic engineering is relatively common, and that genetically modified humans are often mistaken for aliens. I don't see why couldn't there be people modified so heavily they could be alien for all purposes and intents.

Shinzy

If you take a look at the Longsleep revival briefing

The bit about the biology of humanity (I found it really fascinating!)

"Ordo Historia records list thousands of reported contacts with alien life. However, in every case that has been thoroughly investigated, Ordo inquisitors have discovered that the �alien� was, in fact, simply another branch of humanity."

" Some are giants; other are tiny or squat. Some are dark; others pale as snow. Some are hairy like animals; others perfectly smooth. Diets, dispositions, and chemical and radiological tolerances vary significantly."

So there could very well be different kinds of human, while still being human

milon

I'm sure those will be present in the game eventually.  And if not, someone will mod it eventually.  ;)

REMworlder

>If you take a look at the Longsleep revival briefing

That was a cool read; I'd never heard of it before. Is there more setting reading material out there?

Shinzy

Quote from: REMworlder on August 29, 2014, 03:39:04 PM
>If you take a look at the Longsleep revival briefing

That was a cool read; I'd never heard of it before. Is there more setting reading material out there?

Only the quick primer, but it's also linked up there by mr decay
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4346.0
Tynan does mention in this thread he mite 'carve out another chunk of time to flesh out the backstory' though!

And yes it was really cool read! the bit about the trancendeds especially was something else!

Tynan

Yeah, no aliens. I don't think it's really necessary; with just a bit of imagination you can see a vast variety of lifeforms and intelligences developing from purely earthly sources. From robots and AIs to pseudohumans and animal/human hybrids, to genetically-engineered weapon or worker creatures, to the mysterious intelligences born in transcendent systems. Hell, this stuff is much more exotic than anything in Star Trek or Star Wars.

And - if only I had time to sit and write more story stuff! But most people seem to want more game rather than more backstory. And anyway, writing backstory like that is pretty exhausting and takes a really specific frame of mind for me to do. I find long-form writing very tiring compared to coding.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ykara

Quote from: Tynan on August 29, 2014, 03:59:56 PMAnd - if only I had time to sit and write more story stuff! But most people seem to want more game rather than more backstory. And anyway, writing backstory like that is pretty exhausting and takes a really specific frame of mind for me to do. I find long-form writing very tiring compared to coding.
Why don't you implement some parts of the backstory in the game? I've just read the Longsleep Revival Briefing and it's awesome. I would love to see more backstory in the game, for example turn parts of the backstory into items you can read - but don't have to. Ancient tablets in ruins, the briefing in the escape capsule of the first 3 colonists. Or make Raiders drop book pages, I think that would be amazing.

Rahjital

The "no aliens" rule is pretty much moot considering how advanced pre-transcendent human technology can get in Rimworld. Anything labeled aliens in any sci-fi can be a human creation in Rimworld. Want Starship troopers? Genetically modify existing bugs. Intelligent dragons created as toys? Why, mix lizards of your choice, bats, the best of your aerodynamic knowledge and an AI neural system. Hiveminds? Sure, make organic technology and implant a biological radio into the species. Tynan is right, aliens are not necessary. Humans are aliens.

milon

I believe that human hiveworlds already exist in the Lore.

Tynan, since writing is a challenge to both your time & energy, maybe you could consider hiring someone to write that for you.  It would add to the game's creative content.  (Also, I really like Ykara's idea to include some the fiction in the game itself.)

Calistyn

I did not know that document existed, and now I'm a little sad for having read it. I want transbears and boomfruit!

Considering the things many of us are willing to do to our bodies now with the tech we have, I think aliens really are unnecessary. We're a pretty crazy species!  ;)

MoparGamer

Just a note; the lore does not forbid aliens- It just says that an alien specie has never been found.

Shinzy

Oh man I'd love being able to find some ancient artifacts
and getting some sort of 'journal page' drops or whatever with some random lore tidbits
something like the books in starbound, those were really the best things to look out for when I was trying that game out =P
(along with all the random vanity stuff to deck out my spacecraft with ::))

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Tynan on August 29, 2014, 03:59:56 PM
Yeah, no aliens. I don't think it's really necessary; with just a bit of imagination you can see a vast variety of lifeforms and intelligences developing from purely earthly sources. From robots and AIs to pseudohumans and animal/human hybrids, to genetically-engineered weapon or worker creatures, to the mysterious intelligences born in transcendent systems. Hell, this stuff is much more exotic than anything in Star Trek or Star Wars.

And - if only I had time to sit and write more story stuff! But most people seem to want more game rather than more backstory. And anyway, writing backstory like that is pretty exhausting and takes a really specific frame of mind for me to do. I find long-form writing very tiring compared to coding.

Dont forget trans-animals :P  (genetically modified sapient animals, like a pigman/sapient chimps) beware of the goatman army, BEWARE!
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK