Thermal (wood) Power Plant

Started by cj9999, August 30, 2014, 05:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj9999

burning off the wood can used as source of electric power. The power plant would require certain amount of wood per period of time.
If other raw material added (coal), that it could be used as alternative

Wex

I second this. This would have come much sooner in reality, if building power sources, than geothermal.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

skullywag

I did have this in my more power mod but it was a little buggy so removed it. I need to go back and redo it soon.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

Only reason I haven't done things like this is because it requires another work type on the overview. I'm quite concerned with the overview becoming overburdened. I don't want a a column for feeding campfires, one for lighting torches, one for feeding wood power plants, etc...
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

EarthyTurtle

I think there was a topic beforehand about adding more power sources including coal, gas, nuclear, etc. As Tynan points out that was the main issue with the idea that it would consume a lot of your colonists time to run and maintain. Many of these types of powerplants have special needs and need to be monitored around the clock.

Sustainable power options just seem easier and more practical by comparison. (This is a message to all world leaders out there take note, rimworld is leading us into the world of tomorrow!)

Wex

Then, we need wind turbines. Low power output, low building material needed, can only be built in the open, tiny space occupied - if you watch a solar panel they are huge -; no mantenance whatsoever.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Cimanyd

Quote from: Wex on October 28, 2014, 02:27:06 AM
Then, we need wind turbines. Low power output, low building material needed, can only be built in the open, tiny space occupied - if you watch a solar panel they are huge -; no mantenance whatsoever.
Oct 9 changelog
  • Integrated Haplo's wind turbine.
Edit: This forum can't use those apostrophes? ’
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Wex

I must have missed that. Good to know. Tidal generators, anyone?  :D
    Harlan Ellison

christhekiller

Quote from: Tynan on October 28, 2014, 12:28:05 AM
Only reason I haven't done things like this is because it requires another work type on the overview. I'm quite concerned with the overview becoming overburdened. I don't want a a column for feeding campfires, one for lighting torches, one for feeding wood power plants, etc...

Couldn't it work like current workbenches do now?

Say, you get a Thermal Power Plant, each wood log would supply 5 minutes power. It would work just like, say, the stonecutting table does. Instead of rock chunks it requires wood, and instead of stonebrick the output is a certain amount of power supplied, and/ or power supplied for a certain amount of time. And the jobs would be the same, do x amount of times, do until you have x stored, or do forever. And it could work off of whatever skill cremation uses as they're pretty similar functions. ;)

JimmyAgnt007

i always thought of campfires or other things that burn fuel as just feeding from hoppers like the protein thing.  a campfire is just a hopper with a different picture that glows, maybe doubles as a cook stove.  a power plant just produces x power for y time per 1 unit of fuel, similar to how minecraft burns stuff to smelt or cook.

TrashMan

Wouldn't it be a standard "hauling" job?

Darth Fool

Second the it being a hauling job.  I would have hoppers around it that could be filled so that you don't have to have someone dedicated to the process.  Just fill the hoppers when the resources become available.

skullywag

Thats how i did it but due to the closest first priority sometimes your hopper would be empty and thus no power production. Now granted that was rare as with a stack in the hopper they keep it topped up. Give me a few days and ill try and reintroduce my wood burning synthetic gas production gas engine thingy to my more power mod.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JimmyAgnt007

hauling is a rather low priority, even if its at a critical setting.  maybe make fuel hoppers an exception.

cj9999

Quote from: TinnedEpic on October 28, 2014, 01:27:07 AM
I think there was a topic beforehand about adding more power sources including coal, gas, nuclear, etc. As Tynan points out that was the main issue with the idea that it would consume a lot of your colonists time to run and maintain. Many of these types of powerplants have special needs and need to be monitored around the clock.

Sustainable power options just seem easier and more practical by comparison. (This is a message to all world leaders out there take note, rimworld is leading us into the world of tomorrow!)

FYI
a)in real every electric network need constant supervision (immediate consuption have to be same as immediate production otherwise big problems may occur, this is big dissadvantage of renewable sources of energy(sun,wind) )
b)basic principle of coal/nuclear/geothermal power plants is the same. Heat up water and convert this energy in turbine to eletricity
c)renewable electric sourcer are wonderfull idea with lots of practical problems (they are not working when needed, and tynan efficiency of batteries in the game is awesome :), in real life are betteries practicaly unusable, therefore now we built pumping power plat and store the energy in the potencial energy of water)

Of course, I just try to point out main issues and show that the world is not leaded by bunch of idiots, but that are physical and economical issues that have to be taken in account (the situation is same almost everywhere)