How do you play this game?

Started by Taboo102, September 04, 2014, 01:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taboo102

Do you save and reload? Do you accept whatever happens to your colony? Will you reload if a death is unsatisfactory or felt unfair?

I've only reloaded twice, and both were because a colonists died because a roof collapsed. I did not want to lose a good colonist that way, I felt it wasn't satisfying in a narrative sense, so I reloaded. I also once reloaded a squirrel invasion death, because I had just lost a colony to squirrels and was very frustrated. The colony would later die to six centipedes and four scythers, we managed to kill the scythers but the centipedes just chew through everything, I think we only managed to kill two.

Anyway, I try not to reload unless the death is more frustrating than fair. I also always delete the colony after it is dead.

BetaSpectre

I do save and reload.

When my entire 50 strong colony dies from 3 squierrels I generally call BS and want a do over.

But if it was a reasonable fight then it doesn't matter.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Woolly

I started saving and reloading. I had 30 hours into the game and hadn't had one successful ship made until I started save and reloading... Sometimes the most insignificant incident can incite a downward spiral.. after failing many times I like the "do over" option.

Raufgar

Quote from: BetaSpectre on September 04, 2014, 01:07:31 AM
Entire 50 strong colony dies from 3 squirrels

But if it was a reasonable fight then it doesn't matter.

...So, no miniguns for the squirrels then?
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

stefanstr

I sometimes reload if I really like the colony and some BS incident wrecks it.

My quirk, though, is that I rarely return to a colony after a session. 90% of the time, I will create a new one.

Shinzy

If it's directly caused by my own stupidity then I'll just take it
I recently lost two colonists while building rain shelter for outdoor sunlamp of all things.
I then deconstructed *all* the supports (  ::) ) under the roof instead of leaving one to hold the roof up

but on incident like your visitors insisting on huddling around inactive turret and then having the nerve to get mad at me for it exploding on their face while they fight something

Though I still rarely reload ever, I usually just reset their relation back to neutral

So in short! If I feel cheated by the game I won't hesitate to cheat right back

Feniks

I only save the game if I finish playing. If my colony dies I take it and it's game over. What I have learn from that is to fight to the very end. It is easy to just reload but if you choose not to it is much more satisfying to recover from heavy losses rebuild and improve. To start it Casandra kicked my butt every time but rather than reloading and hoping for better RGN I learn to plan better, build better defences and improve positioning of my guys and base management or if it comes to worst just hide and accept base being raided and rebuild better for next time. No I went from loosing every game to Challange mode feeling like a fair fight. AI is very fair and when you think about what you doing you should be fine. Even if your base got raided and you lost most of your stuff that's good thing. Your wealth just went down like crazy it means next few raids will be easier to manage so you have time to take things easy.

For me most of games are ironman mode or not at all.

ShootyFace

It depends, I find myself not save scumming half as much anymore and just taking my losses. The whole 'story' aspect of the game is much stronger that way, makes me hope we get an actual Ironman/Hardcore mode at some point. I honestly don't mind starting a new colony, especially with the new biomes. The starting game is very strong here, I love the frantic pace you have to work at to get things sorted out. Mid and late game suffer a bit, I feel, but a lot of what is coming in alpha 7 looks to address some of my issues.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

RemingtonRyder

I'd kind of like to see an (optional) ironman mode.  That way when stuff goes wrong, there's no takebacksies. :)

Xerberus86

Quote from: stefanstr on September 04, 2014, 04:17:30 AM
I sometimes reload if I really like the colony and some BS incident wrecks it.

My quirk, though, is that I rarely return to a colony after a session. 90% of the time, I will create a new one.

lol, that's exactly my way of doing it. most of the times i start a new colony instead of playing one for more hours, mostly because the old one got wrecked by something and the only survivors are the crappy physicaly lightly disabled freshly recruited prisoners.

i had one keyboard-smashing monent where i just loved the colony, it was the first colony which wasn't failing completely from the start up and the first colony were i got the hang of the game. a bunch of raiders spawned at the edge of the map (high hills region) and the funny part is that there was only ONE entrance to their makeshift base and that had a small and long corridor, basically a naturally occuring killbox and i only had some basic or early era weapons (TTM mod) and the enemy had sniper rifles and laser-rifles. now i could've researched shield generators but as far as i know those aren't cheap and not omnipotent, also my colony was wrecked pretty fast and it was also the colony i found out that having batteries outside in the open and during rain isn't a great idea, so power was also going down while the enemy shot incindiary mortars at me.

i decided to go and kill them (i had a total of 8 colonists and the enemy had like 20, well i thought i might outsmart him), i didn't....they had grenades and molotov cocktails and also hand mortars. i send 3 people for a first scouting / skirmish attack, one of my high-level marksmen with my only top weapon was with them. hilariously he didn't die of a gunshot wound, he got hit, incapacitated and around him started a fire....now at least 70% of the time i was playing the game had rain and in this moment there was no cloud available at the whole freaking time....my favorite colonist was laying on the grass while flames engulfed around him and he died slowly burning. i tried to send 2 colonists to save him (or at least his weapon) but they got sniped from the raiders. in this moment i was truly angry because it was my first colony and i wasn't even halfway through the techtree and overall progression, i loved my colony location and the people i got.....now everything was going down and my favorite pawn was slowly buring to death.......boy that was FUN. but to not stay offtopic too long, i only save-scum if i do something very stupid or some BS moment occurs like my a local squirrel attacking one of my colonists (my top crafter for example or researcher) and of course the friendly visitor wants to help so he shoots at the squirrel but instead of hitting the squirrel he headshots my most important colonist. but don't fear, she is still alive but she will never wake up again (unconscious) and will have to be spoon-fed for the rest of her life -.-.

ITypedThis

I usually won't save unless I'm stopping, but if a colonist dies, I usually reload an autosave to see if I could have prevented it. If I can, I typically will just go with the save where no one died.

Though if something "rather questionable" --:P-- happens, I will likely load an autosave.

Coenmcj

"How do you play this game?"
With great patience, and an Arsenal the size of a small planetoid.

I Generally don't reload unless it's from a previous session, or I've CTD'd
Because I reckon the colony I raise should die with a little dignity, instead of trying to be a necromancer and whatnot.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mystic

I guess I'm not inclined to be a reloader in Rimworld, at least. My first couple of colonies went pretty well, right up until the time that I learned something new about the game that I should have known earlier and that wrecked the colony, and after each of those times I just started a new colony. Then, with my last colony, from the start (even though still playing at the same Rough level as previously) the game literally seemed to be out to get me, from the three person pirate attack that landed literally on my doorstep within a month or so of the start (and which reduced me to a 2-person colony), to the lightning strike that set my main colony building on fire and burned it out right when I had my colonists fighting desperately for their lives against yet another pirate raid on the ramparts and couldn't do anything about the flames behind me. And I STILL didn't reload after that, even.

I agree with what someone else said - the storytelling aspect of the game is much more intense and interesting if one doesn't reload, even when it leads (as it usually does, alas) to the eventual demise of a colony.

DeltaV

I do occasionally save/reload or employ the debug menu if, say, 10 mechanoids, a psychotic wave and a siege happen all at once (It has before).
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

milon

Quote from: DeltaV on September 06, 2014, 07:48:41 AM
I do occasionally save/reload or employ the debug menu if, say, 10 mechanoids, a psychotic wave and a siege happen all at once (It has before).

I don't know - if you can keep your colonists happy enough, the psychotic-waved seigers and the mechs might have some fun together.  ;)

Personally, I use auto-saves if something really stupid happens, but otherwise I roll with it.  Like others have said, it's much more satisfying to bring a colony back from the brink rather than never facing the brink at all.  Sure, some go over the edge, but that's life on a rimworld.