[A11] Advanced Lamps V6.2 A11 update June 20, 2015

Started by Igabod, October 12, 2014, 05:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deimos Rast

@Topper
Continuing a conversation from a different thread:
I'll be honest, I did the other a on whim and considering every download link for this mod has been deleted due to age...
But. He picked a really good license, and that needs to be rewarded. And. I found a link to a dropbox download for an unofficial A12 version. ;D
In short, yeah I'll update it (probably tomorrow).
I'm really tempted though to balance some of it. I know it's always controversial when someone steps in and says "I did a version bump plus all these other things nobody might have asked for."
But looking at these lights and the OP, I'm seeing 500-750 power consumption on some, beauty scores of 25-35 (by comparison the LEDs had 1-4), and at least one light costs 75 steel.
I'll probably do two versions, one faithful to the original, and another that has some balance thrown in.
As for merging with the LED mod? It'd make sense, but I'm more doing this more spur of the moment and if I did that it'd be a new mod entirely and probably need a new thread. Both mods have really good licenses, so that's a big plus. It would use the LED mod's Lighting category, and probably have a consolidated tech tree (maybe two tech max). I'll say I like and favor the idea; I'm more just concerned with stepping on toes.
#StopPluginAbuse

Topper

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Thx Deimos. And I totally agree about the license. Folks get so serious about this stuff. Some of that is understandable when it comes to original art..but a game mod? Igabod's done right by his creation going the no lawyers route heh. 

It would be nice to get all the "community" lightning options under one roof and maybe eventually get some of them added to core..the vanilla game still uses the lights from alpha 1. Skullywags got a good lighting system as well but its unfortunately chained to the CCL

Deimos Rast

CCL lets you do really cool things, like with the LED mod, change light colors without deconstructing them. The out of game cost of that obviously is the plugin requires more work to maintain. Luckily, both of these mods are pure XML (no plugins), because I don't know plugins. ;D

Anyway, I know I said I'd get to it tomorrow, but I lied. Sorry. I did it tonight.
===============================

Advanced Lamps v6.3.1 [A15]

This is the version that is faithful to the original. A couple of changes snuck in, but I specifically left out balancing related ones because they take longer, and to make the next version seem more substantial. ;D
Everything tested in game and working; no errors or warnings in sight.

Changes:
- Electricity tech now required (for research and building).
- Wall Lamp now works
- Lights now Flickable and Breakdownable
- Moved UV & Adv Sun Lamp to 'Furniture' from 'Misc' (to be with the stock Sun Lamp)
- Some other internal changes that have little functional importance other than convenience and clarity.
- Outdoor Lamp & Adv Outdoor Lamp no longer placeable indoors. Porch Lamp still can be.

Note on stock overrides:
- Overrides stock colored standing lamps (I made no changes here):
           - Power consumption 75 > 50
           - Cost: 15 > 50 Steel
- If you don't like this, too bad! Just kidding. Go into Defs/ThingDefs/Lights_Stock.xml and delete it to restore the vanilla values (and textures). Or wait for the balanced version.

Credits:
Igabod creator and author of original mod, all credit belongs to him.
A11 by Loki88
A12d by Jerome736 (and who wisely used Dropbox with a non-expiring link!)
A15 by Deimos Rast. All bugs and errors belong to Deimos Rast.

License:
- See OP for specifics. In short: open.

Download:
Advanced Lamps v6.3.1 [A15]

Note on balanced version and request for feedback:
- If you have an opinion (and it's a relatively coherent one) about the material costs of things in this mod, let me know for the Balanced version. Keep in mind, based on the textures, these are pretty fancy lights. I'll admit I'm not the most experienced RimWorlder and have no idea what resource pools look like end game, so chime in if you do. Otherwise, I'll just stick closer to stock values.
#StopPluginAbuse

Topper

working great so far..I'm worried with the a11 tag no one is going to download it heh.

Deimos Rast

Yeah, that happens, but nothing I can do about it. I messaged both Loki88 & Igabod about the respective updates, but beyond that...*shrug*
That's why if you see a mod you like but it's outdated but it has a semi recent post, check the past page or two to see if a community update has been released.
Also, lights really only...shine....at night. Often during the day it'll be hard to tell if they're on. For testing, I put them on the Sterile flooring to make it easier to see. Something to consider if it doesn't seem like they're working.
#StopPluginAbuse

Master Bucketsmith

Realistic Weather & Nights does wonders to test light related mods. :)

Btw, Deimos, does the advanced outdoor lamp still have that issue where the huge glow radius will bug out with hard lines where it'll no longer glow?

Deimos Rast

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 12, 2016, 11:02:13 AM
Realistic Weather & Nights does wonders to test light related mods. :)

Btw, Deimos, does the advanced outdoor lamp still have that issue where the huge glow radius will bug out with hard lines where it'll no longer glow?
Yeah, but monsters and stuff live in the dark... :-[
As to the Adv. Outdoor Lamp misbehaving: I put my best colonists at work on the issue. I spawned in a lamp, let the game run in the background for a week, while occasionally dropping in "brain food" for the colonists (e.g. Luciferium and raw monkey meat), and after they all starved, went crazy and killed each other, I checked the results. It seems to work fine? It did act a bit buggy (not a fluid transition from glower to shadow) when I had multiple going (specifically when I flicked a few off, they got weird, but deconstructing the others "updated" it and fixed the issue). I'm not entirely sure what "hard lines" means, unless you mean what I just referred to.

Internally, this is the only change that happened to the glower class in the A12-A15 update, which I don't honestly think makes any difference, besides changing colors in my XML editor  ;D
Forty for a glower is rather high; the stock standing lamp has a glower of twelve by comparison. I'm pretty sure <shadowData> and stuff only relates to the shadow the graphic texture gives off, not other shadows.

<li>
        <compClass>CompGlower</compClass>
        <glowRadius>40</glowRadius>
        <glowColor>(217,217,208,0)</glowColor>
      </li>
      <li Class="CompProperties_Glower">
        <glowRadius>40</glowRadius>
        <glowColor>(217,217,208,0)</glowColor>
      </li>

Since I had the file open I felt obligated to make a change: the outdoor light and advanced outdoor light can no longer be placed under ceilings. Because that would be indoors. Porch lamp still can though, in case you want to have a porch with an overhang or something. If you dislike this change, look in Defs/ThingDefs/Lights_Outdoor.xml (created just for your convenience) and delete "PlaceWorker_NotUnderRoof" .

Advanced Lamps A15 v6.3.1
#StopPluginAbuse

Igabod

I want to thank everybody for their interest in this mod and I especially want to thank those of you who have taken the time to update it while I've been busy with real life. I keep telling myself I'm going to get the time to come back to the modding community here and actively update and improve on my mods but it never works out that way. I'm not officially killing this mod off, I may eventually pick it back up in the future. But I will give my official permission for anybody to take this mod and re-upload it on their own topic if they want. I have been failing to update the original post with the updated versions done by other people so if anybody wants to create a new post for their updated version of this mod I wouldn't object and will even get around to adding a link to it on the original post of this thread.

Deimos Rast

I have been talking to Igabod and Loki88 since I updated both of their mods. The question on the table is whether to merge or not. Igabod is fine with the idea; haven't heard from Loki88 on the matter (although he's fine with me updating).
This mainly determines the nature of the new thread I make, since I'm guessing it'll probably be me who takes up official stewardship of this mod. Note: Stewardship =/= Ownership.
I said this to Igabod, and I'll say it now publicly: assuming I take over this, if at any time Igabod wants to resume control, he's welcome to it. If I merge the mods, either Loki88 or Igabod is welcome to it (if they both do, they might have to armwrestle for it or something), at any point, or are welcome to split their mods off again, no questions asked.
And that's all the news that's fit to print. :D
Feel free to chime in if you have an opinion on the merger.
#StopPluginAbuse

Topper

Best lift the skirt and make sure the mods arnt the same sex as a merger between them would be a sin against god :) And only 2 mods at a time please..none of these polygamous merger shenanigans. Also back in Alpha 1986 Advanced Lamps and I alloped and produced a baby out of wedlock. LED should know Lamps isnt a virgin and has a bastard child named Bathroom NightLights. 

Igabod

Quote from: Topper on September 12, 2016, 10:44:07 PM
Best lift the skirt and make sure the mods arnt the same sex as a merger between them would be a sin against god :) And only 2 mods at a time please..none of these polygamous merger shenanigans. Also back in Alpha 1986 Advanced Lamps and I alloped and produced a baby out of wedlock. LED should know Lamps isnt a virgin and has a bastard child named Bathroom NightLights.

It gets worse, LED is technically the child of Advanced Lamps since Loki88 was inspired to make it because of his work on updating this mod. And no, the Bathroom Night Lights mod was aborted in the first trimester due to the lack of bathrooms to put them in.

Deimos Rast

Quote from: Topper on September 12, 2016, 10:44:07 PM
I have no idea what you just said but I laughed. And I seemed to remember it was you who suggested the merger and you who started this whole thing off. I'm just punching keys over here. ;D
As for more than 2, I don't know of a third of hand. To be honest though, I'd rather keep it smaller - I'm not out to build an empire out of other people's work. Just doin' me civic duty and such. ;)
Still waiting on Loki88 though; no rush obviously.
#StopPluginAbuse

Topper