Remove the hard cap on weapon accuracy (Allow weapon accuracy to exceed 100%)

Started by ZestyLemons, November 08, 2014, 11:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZestyLemons

Hi all,

Right now weapon accuracy is defined as Touch/Short/Medium/Long. I had an idea of making a software-assisted rifle that helped shooters aim better at longer ranges, but found that that weapon accuracy is capped at 100%.

If you were to have a weapon accuracy of something like 150% at [whatever] range, it could compensate for someone's poor shooting skill, or just help a good shooter aim even better. It's better if there's no hard cap on accuracy for the sake of modding. Right now, the game caps weapon accuracy to 100% - even if your weapon is set in the stats to have more than 100% accuracy at some range.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

BetaSpectre

Isn't 100% all you need or are you saying that past 45 blocks or so Accuracy will go down with no way to fix?

I know for a fact that you can get really accurate cannons (from a mod) that have no limit on Range.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

RawCode

Aiming can be overridden by custom *verb* for specific weapon (or altering core "shoot" verb by hacks)

You are allowed to ignore any calculations and skills and just give "always hit" property to your gun by replacing verb code.

ToXeye

"always hit" would be nice for some kind of hunter-seeker launcher, but then implement ammunition so that it doesn't become a dangerous weapon
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

eatKenny

Quote from: RawCode on November 09, 2014, 02:40:02 AM
Aiming can be overridden by custom *verb* for specific weapon (or altering core "shoot" verb by hacks)

You are allowed to ignore any calculations and skills and just give "always hit" property to your gun by replacing verb code.

i'm trying to make a 100% hit *verb* for my laser turret(which make sense since it's a laser weapon), but i'm not familiar with c# coding, i wonder if you could make it for me?

RawCode

I will provide code and simple tutorial about this in 2-3 days.

I already have verb code that simply hit targets with lightning (always hit, 100% chance ignoring skill, weather and other factors, ever ignoring obstacles) but it feature no projectile.

Hunter-seeker launcher will need special projectile and special verb, since pawn can move from cell before projectile hit him, this will cause ugly "hit one location, did damage to pawn 3 cells away" situation.
Also multiple pawns can be inside single cell under some conditions, this can't be resolved without custom projectile that know it's target.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: BetaSpectre on November 09, 2014, 01:49:46 AM
Isn't 100% all you need or are you saying that past 45 blocks or so Accuracy will go down with no way to fix?

I know for a fact that you can get really accurate cannons (from a mod) that have no limit on Range.

Weapon accuracy is a penalty, not a benefit. A gun that has 90% accuracy at X range means you'll only have a 90% * (Other Factors). A gun with 100% accuracy means that it's never the guns' fault that the weapon misses, it's always the fault of the shooter/target's cover/environment.

A weapon with 150% accuracy should provide a 50% bonus to accuracy for example. Maybe it's a particularly accurate gun with a good optic or some software integrated that helps you aim. Maybe it's just really good for close quarters and has is really likely to hit there.

My point is that it should be vanilla.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

ToXeye

If it's 150%, then why can't the game maker just make it so that the other factors become close to 100%? Such that a gun with 100% accuracy would have less of some other factor, say due to darkness if using night vision. Simply by reducing (or increasing) the other factors to come close to 100%, the game maker can implement features. For modding, freedom is good.

If the other factors' product is 50% and the weapon's accuracy is 300% then the total accuracy would be 150%, which would be clipped down to 100%. As it is now, none of the factors may exceed 100% because there is no way that bulletproof cover could be avoided by night vision, for example.

I still think it would be good to remove the cap just for the sake of free modding. 150% accuracy just means that the weapon ignores the other factors such as cover, darkness and skill. But I guess you would have to make a total conversion of the game to make it ignore just one of those factors at a time (such as "ignores cover" or "ignores darkness").

*edit* I think that since it's about accuracy, a weapon should be able to ignore all factors, thus having more than 100% accuracy.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\