[A12C] Mechanical Defence 2 (Update 23 - quick fix)

Started by mipen, November 10, 2014, 03:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

Mipen, I love LOVE your mod! Great work man! Can I make a small suggestion? Is there any way you can change the recipe for sand bags from steel to cloth and sand? It just seems so much more... Logical that way!

Rock5

That is logical but I do see a possible problem with that. End game I can actually run out of chunks. So I wouldn't have any way to make sandbags after that. You can of course just do some more mining to get chunks but on one map, I think it was either flat or small hills, I totally mined out every mountain. So I literally had nothing left to mine.

Yeah so it's a good idea but we would need to think a bit more on how we can make it work. Maybe have traders trade sand in sufficient quantities. Although it's not really logical for traders to trade sand. What are we going to have them trade next? Dirt? Air?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

jabbamonkey

Quote from: Rock5 on February 11, 2015, 11:37:48 PM
Yeah so it's a good idea but we would need to think a bit more on how we can make it work. Maybe have traders trade sand in sufficient quantities. Although it's not really logical for traders to trade sand. What are we going to have them trade next? Dirt? Air?

You can have traders sell some kind of synthetic sand, or some kind of "rimworld dust", that basically works just like sand (but more expensive).  This would solve the "run out of chunks" issue. It would also make more sense than traders selling sand or dirt.

The trick would be having the workbench accept SAND or the alternative ingredient (is that even possible?)

Epyk

Here's some fantastic textures created by mrofa:

Fissure generator:

Extractor:
Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

Korporal Kagger

How the... but... what, but... that's impossible...........  I downloaded this pack from this pack.  Not epyk pack.  And I downloaded this like a day ago.  But I have those textures...  Those textures that were just posted like an hour ago, are in the files I downloaded a day ago.  What sorcery is this?!?!

Rock5

What I want to know is how do you create textures like that? And I don't mean the imaginative design, which are great by the way. I mean the coloring and shading. It doesn't look like a 3D model but the shading looks like it might start as a 3D model then possibly pained by hand? How's it done?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Shinzy

Quote from: skullywag on February 12, 2015, 03:59:47 AM
dodge and burn my friend....dodge and burn.
and mostly layers!
shading stuff gets a whole ton easier when you can get behind to spray the stuff
everything's better with layers, especially cake

Rock5

My paint.net does layers, and I do like using them, but I don't think it does dodge and burn. I think I need a more complex piece of software. I'll see if I can find one that does doge and burn and is really easy to use, and hopefully free
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

mrofa

All i do is clutter all around.

mipen

Quote from: Korporal Kagger on February 11, 2015, 05:58:05 PM
Another quick thing about the coal generator - I'm not sure if you've already patched this or not since I haven't updated in a bit, but I can't seem to be able to rotate it when I'm placing it.  It's not a huge problem since I can just shift around some other stuff to suit the orientation but I just thought I'd mention it.
Yeah I disabled rotation because it looked really weird at any other angle :P with jabbamonkey's new texture it might look okay though so if it does then I will re-enable the rotation

Rock5

You would need to use front, back and side textures for it to look right (unless you did a top view texture).
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Asfalto

could you put the date of your last update in the title of the mod plz?

jabbamonkey

Quote from: Rock5 on February 12, 2015, 03:57:56 AM
What I want to know is how do you create textures like that? And I don't mean the imaginative design, which are great by the way. I mean the coloring and shading. It doesn't look like a 3D model but the shading looks like it might start as a 3D model then possibly pained by hand? How's it done?

I do my images using Photoshop (or Illustrator). Great programs with alot of versatility. However, there are so many facets to the programs, that some people find it difficult to use (too many options!!!). I've been working with the programs for years, so I'm fairly good with them.

Typically I start with a scanned drawing, or a pre-existing image (like the original droid image that they used). Then, using the scanned image, I import the drawing into either Illustrator or Photoshop. I then create "paths" or shapes around the elements. Then I add the textures (like the rough metal texture), and then "airbrush" some shading. 

There are tons of tutorials online how to do this (but it does take awhile ... this isn't a 10 minute project).