Raiders as a source of income

Started by Knigge, November 17, 2014, 02:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knigge

I tend to base much of my lategame economy around being able to sell or use items given by the increasing wave of raiders. This task gets more and more tedious as the size of the wave increases, and I wonder how other peolpe deal with it. Do you just burn all the bodies without getting the gear off of them? I manualy change a stockpile to critical (for bodies), and carry all there, then manualy get the gear, and then start the crematories.

I'd imagine that some sort of addon to the A2B transport mod, with a machine to remove the gear from dead raiders could be a solution. Is there such a thing?

Goo Poni

Not to my knowledge and the little colony I had was using three stockpiles centered around three different trade beacons, one for resources the colony used, another just to hold silver (~30k silver takes up like half a beacon's space) and another for all weapons and clothing. At the end of every raid, I send a MAI to go strip all the warm corpses and then leave it up to the colony to pick up the dead and cremate them. Built a second crematorium to help it go a little faster so now the map is strewn with clothes and guns that have been laying in the mud for months, hell the first siege I had still hasn't been completely cleaned up even though people are barely doing anything besides harvest potatoes and haul things now.

H_D

I strip every dead raider I can, they provide the best income so far. If amount of corpses can be reasonably fast cremated by two colonists and stuff they left hauled before next attack, I keep that area clean. If there are too many corpses, I just haul them to temporary stockpile, strip and destroy with grenades (or explosive turrets).

Wex

Playing in a desert, the raiders are a nice complement to the diet of my colonists.
Also, free leather! ;D
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Goo Poni

I find leathers kind of annoying. They just stack up with no reasonable use for them. Making shirts and pants out of leather seems silly, my guys aren't Fallout wastelanders. Leather dusters and such, sure, but there's a leather for every animal, humans included, and there's seemingly no difference besides the fact that they refuse to stack with each other. *open dev console* *Tool:Destroy* *click all leathers* Between cotton and leather, half my main stockpile is taken up by useless toot that cannot be sold to a trader. At least I can use cotton to make hyperweave though I can't set a "keep hyperweave stock at 150" thing on the crafting table due to unpredictable product. IDEK what unpredictable product is. We're not making hyperweave with a side of gamma radiation here.

Wex

Really? Your main colony product isn't leather cowboy hats? 24 silver apiece, they are worth a while!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Goo Poni

I play with TTM and all the extras installed. Two drilling machines provide essentially unlimited metal and uranium, allowing me to build things like mechanoid weapons or expensive weapons like miniguns. I can also buy plasteel from traders, turn it into bionics and sell the bionics for double whatever I might have bought the plasteel used to make the bionics. There's also things like oil which can be collected and sold at every trading opportunity. A lot more ways to make silver. In fact, the silver is getting kinda silly, but thankfully it doesn't weigh so heavily on the size and power of raids.

H_D

That's why I don't play TTM, everything seems OP. I like some features, but it's too easy to quickly get rich.

Goo Poni

Having lots of silver isn't even a problem for me. Stackable only to 400 is the problem. It can take up a lot of space if you're into even four-digit numbers, let alone five-digit numbers. The first couple times a trader comes by at the start of a colony, I try to squeeze out some medicine because I likely don't have the capacity to make it myself until hydroponics are built. After the first couple trades, all I'm doing is selling off excesses of anything. A QoL improvement here or there such as a cook stove to replace the food worktop/firepit/grill combo and maybe some turrets. Otherwise, here, have all this oil and crap from raiders that I don't want because I build my own equipment.

Weapons and apparel not being stackable along with uranium only stacking to 5 is also an annoyance that takes up a lot of room in stockpiles. Weapons don't change, they have no qualities, if I have 20 M16s strewn around the map, I want to stack them into 20 M16s. If I'm building armour out of one type of fabric, all others restricted, they'll come out the same each time, I wanna stack those up.

That, or, make a C.H.E.S.T-like object that will hold an inventory of weapons and apparel. An armoury with a few weapons lockers containing weapons of certain types and armours on racks along the wall.

christhekiller

Oh yeah. Raider weapon and clothing becomes a major source of income for me. No sense letting all those tribal garbs and tshirts go to waist after all ;)

Sion

This is what I do to these pesky raiders, first I shoot at them as much as I can, every one that is incapacitated is hauled away to the prison, if they are useful I try to recruit them, if not I rip their organs out, the organs go primarily to the hospital secondary to the trading beacon, and the dead body joins the dead comrades.
All the dead raiders are hauled to a dumping zone neighboring a butcher table, the butcher table are manned by my psychotic chef that doesn't care about dead bodies, the chef strips and butchers the bodies as they come in, the raiders cloth is hauled to the trading beacon, the skin from the raiders is hauled to a tailor's workshop where it will be crafted into hats that the intergalactic community can enjoy, the meat from the raiders is hauled outside the base where it will attract animals that eat meat (useful on desert worlds), and those animals are hunted to feed the colony.

No wonder why the raiders hate me...
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

eatKenny

Better social impact while wearing a cowboy hat made of human skin, seems legit  ::)

Wex

Quote from: eatKenny on November 17, 2014, 06:55:33 PM
Better social impact while wearing a cowboy hat made of human skin, seems legit  ::)
Why won't you be as kind and accomodating as possible to someone wearing a human skin hat?
Want to become his duster?
    Harlan Ellison

Rask

I use the extended surgery mod to make all those butchered raiders into vat-made ears.
Market value 250 rofl.

Japzzi

I also live in the desert abit tribal stylish.. Raiders are free food and the gear they wear/use can be sold for food and other stuff C: Im not pickish! I take every little bit of stuff I can because everyday is a struggle in the desert ://