How to install RimWorld after you've downloaded it

Started by Tynan, December 10, 2014, 03:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

If you downloaded DRM-free:

1. Download the game file from your personal download link that was sent to you via email.

What you downloaded is a 'zip file'. This is a sort of 'container' file that packages a bunch of other files together. The actual game files are inside the zip file. To actually play the game, the game files all need to be extracted to outside the zip file, and they need to be together.

To extract the files:

2. Open the downloaded zip file by double-clicking it.

3. A window will pop up. It will show the contents of the zip file. In this case it will show a single folder named something like 'RimWorld651Win'.

4. Drag this folder from the zip file to some other folder on your drive.

-> If you wish, you can drag it to the desktop. I recommend making a new folder (like C:/Programs/RimWorld) and dragging it there.

-> Make sure you don't drag it over another installation of RimWorld! The files will mix together and the game won't work.

5. Now close the zip file. Open the newly-extracted folder. You'll see the .exe file you can run to play the game.

-> I recommend making a shortcut to the exe file. On Windows, right-click it and select 'Send to Desktop shortcut'.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

OmniTitan

How do you use the custom save folder function? I can't seem to get it working from the Readme instructions.

Adamiks

6. If you have problem with zip files download 7zip or Winrar.

RickyMartini

Any instructions on how to customize the save folder location on mac?

Adamiks

Quote from: Skissor on June 19, 2015, 09:19:36 PM
Any instructions on how to customize the save folder location on mac?

You will need to google how to add command to .exe

RickyMartini

Well there is no exe. Also no folder called Rimworld. The mac version just look like this when I open it:

Contents
Mods
Source

Under "Contents" there is only this file that resembles what I should search called "Rimworld834Mac". Now its a mystery what I have to do. No idea.

Adamiks

Quote from: Skissor on June 20, 2015, 05:13:14 PM
Well there is no exe. Also no folder called Rimworld. The mac version just look like this when I open it:

Contents
Mods
Source

Under "Contents" there is only this file that resembles what I should search called "Rimworld834Mac". Now its a mystery what I have to do. No idea.

I would like to help, but i've never seen Mac, so sorry.

Tynan

To run the Mac version you run the whole package by double-clicking on it. The package is the top level folder that you extracted from the zip file.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

jpwrunyan

I downloaded this game again having taken a nearly year-long hiatus. I cannot play it.

Quote from: Skissor on June 20, 2015, 05:13:14 PM

Contents
Mods
Source

I have the Windows version and I have the exact same problem. There is no .exe file of any kind. It looks like just the data archives. Also, Tynan announced an update on July 4 but I never received an email from SendOwl about this. What gives? I'm hoping this is just some oversight, but surely I'm not the only one to download the game and attempt to install it since July 4th!

jpwrunyan

Update:

I just re-downloaded it for the 3rd time and finally it looks correct. The first download must have just arbitrarily not included the .exe file (!?). The second download just... didn't even finish. I'll assume it works but will post again if it doesn't.

Boston

Hello, I just bought Rimworld today, and I tried to install it.

The first time, it worked fine (got through the title splash, generated a world and some colonists, etc). I then backed out and installed some mods.

When I "turned the mods on", I probably also turned off the "core" module, but I had to Alt-Tab to kill the program, as it froze.

I looked up what was happening (loads to black screen + cursor when clicking on the application file)  once I tried to restart the game, and I realized what I had done.

I have reinstalled the game several times now ( I only have 3 installs left for Windows), only to notice that the .zip file has the Rimworld.exe file, and when I extract it to my computer ( C:/Rimworld and C:/Programs (x86)/Rimworld, respectively), the application in the extract folder lacks the .exe file.

Any indication of what I should do? I can attach a log if it is necessary, and I cannot find my dave game configs, as my computer just goes C:/Users/(me)/AppData/Local. Nothing about Ludeon or Rimworld

--EDIT-- Fixed. I am rather computer-illiterate, apparently.

Maniac

I'm not so good with computers, I followed what i think i'm supposed to do and when i try to open rimworld it says "Data folder not found, There should be "Rimworld914_WinData" folder next to the executable.

I'm not sure how to fix this but hopefully one of you guys know, cheers.

harpo99999

when you extracted the files from the zip, did you grab ALL the files or just the exe?
if it was just the exe/application, then that is why you got the error, you NEED to extract ALL the files and folders.
just another stupid thought, had you tried to run the application from INSIDE the zip?
if yes, THAT is why, you NEED to extract(copy out of) all the files from the zip to another area, (eg. a folder on the desktop), then run the exe in the location you extracted the files to.

Slaisar

So I wanted to play Rim again but looking through my emails I don't see it. At this point I have searched all over to get a resend and I cant figure it out. Is that possible or is it gg I don't have Rimworld again?

milon

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1875.0

It's a stickied link called 'Missing your download email?'  ;)

Let us know if that doesn't fix it.