[A12d] More Mechanoids (v1.07b - updated 31.12.2015)

Started by Orion, January 11, 2015, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Quote from: caboose410 on January 24, 2015, 07:17:31 PM
When is the next version coming out?
When it's ready ;)
But seriously, I'm trying my best fixing the last loose ends for the next release. It will include convertable crawlers and maybe something Joey cooked up, we'll see.

Quote from: OldVamp on January 24, 2015, 07:37:04 PM
i'd like to see some mechs that act like the alpha beaver event but with exposed metal pockets.
maybe they could even multiply if they get enough metal.

That was actually the original idea for the crawlers, but it turned out rather tricky to program (as did everything else, tbh). Maybe we'll see that at a later point, maybe not.

Quote from: 200Down on January 25, 2015, 02:14:09 AM
This mod fits so well into the game you'll wonder why it wasn't already there.  Kinda like the modular table, chairs, and solar panel mods. Absolute must have and thanks for making it!
You're welcome! The fitting part is mostly thanks to Joey, but I wouldn't mind it becoming part of the main game at all ;)

They could be toned down a bit, but I actually feel they're easier to handle than the vanilla mechanoids. I guess plenty of playtesting will show...

The way converting them will work is as following:
- You can craft an AI chip at the machining bench
- You insert the chip into a dead crawler and choose a function (hauling, cleaning, plant cutting)
- You don't have direct control over them, so they slave away until they break

I might add melee later, but for now it turned out to be a bit more tricky than the rest. Unfortunately it takes more than just copy and pasting from another mod, else I'd have been done a long time ago.

I was considering that they'd need to rest / recharge, but it adds quite some more complexity that delays development unnecessarily. So I chose that they can short circuit, adding some amount of maintenance to your army of robot slaves ;)

Orion

We've released version 1.02 of this mod! It's now called "More Mechanoids" to reflect the fact that there's more than just crawlers now.

Crawlers can be adopted in your base after destroying them (and maybe soon other kinds of mechanoids as well...).

We've got more new mechanoids in the lineup, so those battles will never be boring again ;)

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Romi

Boboid

Quote from: Orion on January 30, 2015, 03:21:05 AM
We've released version 1.02 of this mod! It's now called "More Mechanoids" to reflect the fact that there's more than just crawlers now.

Crawlers can be adopted in your base after destroying them (and maybe soon other kinds of mechanoids as well...).

We've got more new mechanoids in the lineup, so those battles will never be boring again ;)

Very cool concept, wasn't too interested in just another kind of mechanoid, but a mechanoid that I can adopt and call "My Squishy"? Hell yes.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

skullywag

Dont make the new droid tameable...i dont want to be called "my squishy".  :(
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: skullywag on January 30, 2015, 12:51:09 PM
Awe man :(
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

popster99

lol

Mechanoid Hivemind

crawlers have a food bar? Also how do i install the chip into the crawler? i have a chip and a dead crawler but it wont let me add modifications
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: GiantCookieEater on January 30, 2015, 03:17:07 PM
crawlers have a food bar? Also how do i install the chip into the crawler? i have a chip and a dead crawler but it wont let me add modifications

The food bar is a vanilla feature. I recall someone posted a screenshot a while back where a bunch of Centipedes had starved to death trying to get through his killbox.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

dareddevil7

IDEA! Sleeper Mechs. Basically a random raider or spacer or vistor could be a Sleeper Mech, waiting for the command to wake up and wreak havoc, they would go near objects of importance and break/steal them. They would look like a regular human but with a slight difference that they have a faint scar on their head or torso, maybe there can be a Sleeper Bomber, like a Sleeper Mech but will detonate on colonists when mechanoids raid

Boboid

I shall call you Squishy and you shall be mine, and you will be My Squishy!

Resistance, is useless!

Edit: I just got attacked by 20 crawlers with 5 colonists, ouch. No dealing with that :D
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Orion

How about we all just pretend noone is renaming skullywag?

You need to do the research and then use the workbench. I'll have to see how I can make that clearer. I messed around with it for a long time and the workbench solution just turned out to be easier than the bill on the mechanoid.
Maybe I can fix the food bar to be hidden  ;)

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: Orion on January 31, 2015, 03:50:09 AM
How about we all just pretend noone is renaming skullywag?

You need to do the research and then use the workbench. I'll have to see how I can make that clearer. I messed around with it for a long time and the workbench solution just turned out to be easier than the bill on the mechanoid.
Maybe I can fix the food bar to be hidden  ;)
My bad i didnt see that there was another thing of research after the reprogramming one. Also i had a crawler drop pod ambush of like 10 of them my first night. How many are there suppose to be i almost lost my colony the first night

Orion

What difficulty did you play? It's still very much in the process of tweaking and balancing. I'm glad to hear if it's too much / too easy from different people.