[A12d] More Mechanoids (v1.07b - updated 31.12.2015)

Started by Orion, January 11, 2015, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Quote from: Khaosius789 on February 02, 2015, 02:58:22 AM
Quick error, I'm getting a TON of repeat commands when I do a bill at the Machining table, and narrowed it down to this mod. D:
Thanks for reporting this. Are you using version 1.02b? Are you using any other mods that use the machining table?
Could you make a screenshot of the error, including the whole message?

Quote from: skullywag on February 02, 2015, 03:02:50 AM
Add a building that takes an AI core, without it on the map (very easy to check for) the units still short circuit. Name it AI controller or some such gubbins. Lore is it helps them process their tasks so they dont overload.
That'd work, although I don't particularly like it. Maintenance should be relative to the amount of bots you're running, also it doesn't feel very natural like that. I really prefer the idea of a repair bay where the bots park for maintenance.

Khaosius789

Quote from: Orion on February 02, 2015, 09:34:48 AM
Quote from: Khaosius789 on February 02, 2015, 02:58:22 AM
Quick error, I'm getting a TON of repeat commands when I do a bill at the Machining table, and narrowed it down to this mod. D:
Thanks for reporting this. Are you using version 1.02b? Are you using any other mods that use the machining table?
Could you make a screenshot of the error, including the whole message?

When I loaded up the game to take the screen shot, error was gone, so maybe just a glitch. xD Thanks for the quick reply though!

Asfalto

Would it be hard, for my personal use, to create a console with a "call all crawlers" command, and a "back to work" one?

When under attack it's really sad to watch them go suicide hauling stuff around..

Khaosius789

Quote from: Asfalto on February 02, 2015, 10:24:07 PM
Would it be hard, for my personal use, to create a console with a "call all crawlers" command, and a "back to work" one?

When under attack it's really sad to watch them go suicide hauling stuff around..

Or have a small Antenna that you need to have built in order to control them? And then that Antenna could have Recall and Work buttons...

Orion

Quote from: Asfalto on February 02, 2015, 10:24:07 PM
I kinda like the idea. I'm not sure how hard it would be, though. I would say it's a bit further on the tricky side.

Boboid

I'm pretty incredibly ignorant of the code involved but could you draft the crawlers?
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Orion

Quote from: Boboid on February 03, 2015, 03:04:46 AM
I'm pretty incredibly ignorant of the code involved but could you draft the crawlers?
In theory yes, but
a) I broke it in the process of making them :P and
b) Since they're not human, I think you shouldn't have direct control over them

Boboid

Understandable that you don't want direct control over pre-programmed robots that you've already re-programmed for your own purposes.

They'd have waay more independence than humans :P

Jokes aside - Understandable, was just a suggested bandaid-solution to the "All my mechs decided to have a dance party in the middle of no-mans land"
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

obviousguy

Is the short circuit thing with the crawlers the trade-off to having them work for you? If so, then I accept it, though, they tended to all short circuit within the same time period (5 minutes). They're extremely useful and huge time savers when there's enough. I have no real problems with this mod so far, and it's worked well with the other ones. Overall, good work  :D
"That's it. Unleash the Battle Monkeys."

Orion

Quote from: Encode on February 03, 2015, 07:21:15 AM
Why are crawlers going crazy/rampage, like humanoids?
they will function as normal but will get shot/attacked by other pawns...
I left it in cause I thought it was nice. You build robots? Expect them to malfunction and stomp you into the ground.
Maybe I should add that you can build an AI control center (friends call it "HAL") that is foolproof and incapable of error which controls doors (they open faster!), sentry guns (improved targeting algorithms!), bots (they break down less often) and other facilities. Obviously this one will never malfunction, go crazy or try to subtly manipulate your colonists into killing each other.

Quote from: obviousguy on February 03, 2015, 04:17:15 AM
Is the short circuit thing with the crawlers the trade-off to having them work for you?
It is. They are indeed very powerful and strengthen your colonists a lot by doing those maintenance tasks. Short circuiting is by chance (storyteller driven), so it can happen often or not at all for a long time. If you really hate it, you can always modify the incident xml file and lower the chance, or increase the cooldown. They can still go crazy though.

Asfalto

Quote from: Orion on February 03, 2015, 09:23:49 AM

Maybe I should add that you can build an AI control center (friends call it "HAL") that is foolproof and incapable of error which controls doors (they open faster!), sentry guns (improved targeting algorithms!), bots (they break down less often) and other facilities. Obviously this one will never malfunction, go crazy or try to subtly manipulate your colonists into killing each other.

Yes plz!

I'm trying to understand how to do it. I thought maybe to look up in the code of another mode, (i think it's the Tactical Computer in Miscellaneus+MAI mods.), it already has 4 functions, call here all armed, call here all unarmed, call there and call there.

I'm a noob here tho, i know how to change xmls, not real coding. So.. plz do something!

It's saaaaad to see my crawlers go suicidal trying to haul something while under siege :(

xiuhte1

is there any way to make the crawlers to capture the enemy?? ( those in pain in the floor) some times i got lots of enemies lying in the ground and want to capture it but go outside with -100c it's not a good idea xD

Orion

Quote from: xiuhte1 on February 03, 2015, 10:54:18 PM
is there any way to make the crawlers to capture the enemy?? ( those in pain in the floor) some times i got lots of enemies lying in the ground and want to capture it but go outside with -100c it's not a good idea xD
Sorry, that's not possible (within reasonable amount of effort). I'd have to mark the bots as humanoid, which creates a whole range of new problems. Although I believe I could maybe let them -always- haul incapacitated pawns, by making it a WorkType. But this would take the choice away from the player and also make it a work type for regular colonists.

Asfalto

Update: i tried to lookup in the decompiled files to "translate" the commands of the other mod (the gather colonists command from the tactical terminal) and i concluded it's out of my league, for now.

I understand what i read, but i don't understand how and where to modify the terminal to add a simple icon to call your crawlers :(

Orion

Quote from: Asfalto on February 04, 2015, 05:55:38 AM
Update: i tried to lookup in the decompiled files to "translate" the commands of the other mod [..] I understand what i read, but i don't understand how and where to modify the terminal to add a simple icon to call your crawlers :(
It's because it's not trivial. Getting it to work for the colonists is a different story than for the crawlers, so you can't just copy and paste it.