[Mod request] add a simple hauling skill.

Started by DiamondBorne, October 07, 2017, 07:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondBorne

I saw it in Razzle Dazzle mod that you can actually add a new skill (performance) into the game. So please, can anyone makes a barebone hauling skill mod? No need to link it with traits and backstories or anything, just a level-able stat that governs the amount of items and weight a pawn can carry, walkspeed, stuff like that. I will be extremely grateful.

Canute

Allow tool
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17218.0
got an haul emergency feature.
I am not sure what you mean with "level-able stat that governs the amount of items and weight a pawn can carry".
Do you want that a hauler should carry more then 1 item/stack at once until his weight capacity is reached ?

tonsrd

thers a mod called pawns are capable ( everyone can haul ) tho they get a negative mood for it.

like a pyro putting out fires etc.

DiamondBorne

Quote from: Canute on October 07, 2017, 08:23:43 AM
Allow tool
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17218.0
got an haul emergency feature.
I am not sure what you mean with "level-able stat that governs the amount of items and weight a pawn can carry".
Do you want that a hauler should carry more then 1 item/stack at once until his weight capacity is reached ?

Quote from: tonsrd on October 07, 2017, 08:38:03 AM
thers a mod called pawns are capable ( everyone can haul ) tho they get a negative mood for it.

like a pyro putting out fires etc.

Alright thanks everyone for the replies. However that's not what i mean and sorry for not being clear. About hauling stat, i was meant to be a skill like shooting, growing, intellectual etc. Those Skills that dictates what a pawn can gain experience while doing it. I want a mod that adds a new hauling skills for pawns: The more they perform hauling job, the more they can carry at a time. And maybe a small boost in walk speed per level.

SpaceDorf

That is quite hard to implement the way you ( and a whole bunch of other people ) would like that.

The problem is not even creating the skill ( reference AllowTool )
but the XP gain.
Hauling jobs don't generate XP and I think can't be made to generate XP.
So even if the skill exists, there is no way to level it.
Having a Skill generate a HeDiff to influence Pawn Stats could be possible, but I am not sure.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Albion

I agree with SpaceDorf. It would be a pain to implement this functionality.
For now I can only recommend to beef up the manipulation value of your pawns since that one directly influences the amount of stuff your pawns can carry.

SpaceDorf

I recommended to remove your pawns from hauling and train 100boars ..

if you are into modding I suggest you get
Minions, Rimslaves and Robots++ ..

that is usually enough to cover my hauling needs.

Canute

In the past we got tools for haul mod
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12282.0
You could craft carts, pawn could carry them and pickup multiple items with them, before they head back and unload.
This was the only mod i know that allow auto. multiple item haul so far.

DiamondBorne

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 07, 2017, 09:33:53 AM
That is quite hard to implement the way you ( and a whole bunch of other people ) would like that.

The problem is not even creating the skill ( reference AllowTool )
but the XP gain.
Hauling jobs don't generate XP and I think can't be made to generate XP.
So even if the skill exists, there is no way to level it.
Having a Skill generate a HeDiff to influence Pawn Stats could be possible, but I am not sure.

Hmm, thanks. Didn't thought of that before, that there's no way to assign when and where to give XP when using hauling skill.

Then what about two different types of XP given in one job? So is it possible to, for example, give both hauling XP and Butcher XP at once when a pawn finished a butcher bill? Maybe this way we could simulate a pawn lvling his hauling by assigning particular type of job to give or not give hauling XP. Like research won't give hauling XP cuz they're just sitting there thinking, while construction will give it when the constructor bringing material to build things.

SpaceDorf

Thats my job here.
Pointing out when people are wrong  ;D

Lets start from the beginning :

There are two kinds of XP in Rimworld.

Static XP gained by completing an action, like shooting a bullet, butchering a pig, cooking a meal.
( basically everything action that finishes with a clear output ) ( if the bullet hits, does it become input ?!? )
and
Worktime XP gained by working on time consuming jobs. Crafting, Art and Building.

Hauling as in Picking up Stuff and carrying it somewhere else gives no XP. Neither for Haulers nor for putting materials into a building or crafting project.

There are Hauling Jobs ( cremating, burying, fermenting, refueling .. ) which could be made to produce static xp gain, but I can't see the correlation between those and increasing carry weight or walk speed.

What I could imagine, but that may be going to far, is a small Attribute System similiar to the old Dwarf Fortress versions.

Strength, Agility, Endurance, Wisdom ( i think, to lazy to google )
The attributes buffed the bodily attributes of the dwarves and gained XP whenever ( again, to lazy to check )
a skill was raised or when a job correlating to the attribute was done.

Albion

It basically all boils down to this:
Yes, it would somehow be possible to do this kind of mod someway.
No, I don't think anyone will do it because it would be somewhat difficult to implement or come up with a good solution that makes sense or they don't want to invest the time.
The only way I see is for you to either try and create the mod yourself (there are quite a few guides and it's doable if you have a little understanding of programming) OR get someone to do it somehow.
In the end most mods are created by the modders in their free time for glory, fame or because they wanted to create that mod badly enough.

I personally am quite happy with the way hauling is done in the game, especially since you can even train animals to do the general hauling for you. Train 100 boars or have dedicated haulers with bionic arms and all your hauling needs should be met.

Canute

Boars with Bionic arms, and they just walk at 2 legs ? *shiver*
No i prefer Minions.

And maybe these
QuoteArcane
Summon - can be used to summon both pawns (friend, foe, and animals alike) to the caster, and can also summon objects from distant locations at will
from TMagic, could be useful.
Instead a horde of hauler, you just have 2 wizard who sit at their pillows and summon all stuff into the base! :-)

SpaceDorf

Then there is the star trek transporter. Something like this would be awesome.

*giggles manically* oh I am Sorry, I did not know that you wanted to use this ammunition, Mr. Sieger, let me send you something in return.

DiamondBorne

So, to put it bluntly, Hauling skill mod can be done but you people says it's not possible/will not do it because of your bias. And with over 1000 hours of experience over me and even if you're not willing to or can't mod, instead of having a civilized dicussion with me on how it could be done, you instead tell me to f**k off from atop of your high horse and do it myself, train 100 boars to haul or using mods i already have. What's wrong with you peoples seriously? Are we in the modding talk section or a general gameplay section? Did i not clarify that it was a mod request thread? Did i offended or violated a sacred forum guideline? Am i being impolite for requesting a mod?

...I'm NOT an English speaker and i have zero experience with modding or even know how to edit XML but i'm already start learning how to. Infact i only successfully edited a tiny mod without causing error just last night. Have you ever think why did i put a goddamn [Mod Request] infront of my thread if i fully had capacity to do that? Well i may have, I may even set it my goal to try to make it possible. IF someone gave me information that i asked, not shoving common knowledge down my throat or leave a completely irrelevant and rude message in my thread.

...I request a mod to lock this thread as i don't want to have this senseless 'discuss' any further or being more rude than i already have. >:(

crusader2010

Exp for hauling could be done with some conditions:
1. The pawn picks up something
2. The pawn must arrive at a destination and/or unload what he is carrying
3. **** The pawn must walk somewhere ****

If not for number 3, he would gain exp by standing still while carrying something and repeatedly loading/unloading it. Adding in the necessity for walking, it becomes more realistic and harder to cheat. Limitations could be imposed on the number of steps taken before hauling exp gets counted (i.e. Don't count if the pawn took at most 2 steps).

Is this possible?
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack