Issue with coolers not cooling during a heat wave

Started by nuschler22, August 15, 2016, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cultist

Quote from: nuschler22 on August 18, 2016, 07:00:22 AM
But you didn't see a screen shot!  Lol.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to visualize your setup just based on your description. We have never seen your base, we have no idea what part is up, what is around it, if a vent is blocked somewhere etc.

If people are missing (in this case visual) information they fill in the blanks, then draw a conclusion. That's what humans do. Only a poor communicator blames miscommunication purely on his audience.

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: nuschler22 on August 18, 2016, 07:04:25 AM
It doesn't explain why it couldn't cool at night during a heat wave when the temperature was fairly normal (80s).

I think that with cave temperatures being bugged, it means that having a base inside a mountain is like being right under a big old storage heater. I don't know for sure, Tynan would probably know.

SpaceDorf

Well, I had the same problem, twice now in the same game.

as you can see in my screenshot, I have double constructed walls to the outside, and single constructed walls against the rock.
There are all three roof types ( constructed, thin rock, overhead mountain ) and my cooler totally went on the fritz
once the heatwave hit.
It was so bad that even when it cooled down outside or in the rest of the base, the heat in the kitchen remained up.
( 40°C in the base, between 30°C and 40°C outside and 40°C to 50° in the kitchen )
This kept this way even after the heatwave was over.
I admit I experiment with lots of mod ( 70 atm. ) but when this happened none of the mods where temperature related nor did I have some since I started the game.
I have some now, but nothing happened so far, and since winter is coming it will be a while till next summer.

If it's mountain or roof related, I will gladly employ roofbombs to fix this :D

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

stu89pid

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 18, 2016, 06:11:28 PM
Well, I had the same problem, twice now in the same game.

as you can see in my screenshot, I have double constructed walls to the outside, and single constructed walls against the rock.
There are all three roof types ( constructed, thin rock, overhead mountain ) and my cooler totally went on the fritz
once the heatwave hit.
It was so bad that even when it cooled down outside or in the rest of the base, the heat in the kitchen remained up.
( 40°C in the base, between 30°C and 40°C outside and 40°C to 50° in the kitchen )
This kept this way even after the heatwave was over.
I admit I experiment with lots of mod ( 70 atm. ) but when this happened none of the mods where temperature related nor did I have some since I started the game.
I have some now, but nothing happened so far, and since winter is coming it will be a while till next summer.

If it's mountain or roof related, I will gladly employ roofbombs to fix this :D
Thanks for providing a screenshot. I though double walls meant two rings of single walls with walking space between. I wasn't picturing a literal double thinkness wall.
I will try in my mountain base load to recreate the problem and check back in.

SpaceDorf

Well and I just noticed on the screenshot, that I lied and forgot to replace the eastern wall with constructed walls ..

-- edit --

also the southern walls .. I meant to do that .. I swear.

nuschler22

Quote from: cultist on August 18, 2016, 10:09:03 AM
Quote from: nuschler22 on August 18, 2016, 07:00:22 AM
But you didn't see a screen shot!  Lol.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to visualize your setup just based on your description. We have never seen your base, we have no idea what part is up, what is around it, if a vent is blocked somewhere etc.

If people are missing (in this case visual) information they fill in the blanks, then draw a conclusion. That's what humans do. Only a poor communicator blames miscommunication purely on his audience.

There's absolutely no visual part that helps your learn that the problem isn't functional. No matter how many times I explain that the setup works fine without the heat wave, and the coolers work as intended, you're going to insist on not comprehending the issue.

nuschler22

Quote from: Darth Fool on August 18, 2016, 09:47:23 AM
I won't ask for a screenshot since you seem morally opposed to providing the minimum that would help people diagnose your problem.  So instead, I will ask you, do you have a savegame?

Stop being insulting.

Once again a screen shot will do absolutely nothing. 

If you can't comprehend it's not a funticional problem as I've explained numerous times before, you're not coming at it the right way and therefore you're of no help.

And unless you're willing to download all the mods I have, load them in the specific order I have them in, it's a moot point.

Plus I've started a new base since then and reuse my saves because they're labeled for specific events.

Once you realize that the setup works absolutely fine and cools as intended when a heat wave event isn't present, perhaps then you'll realize that a screen shot won't help the issue one bit.

nuschler22

Just FYI I corrected the issue by using a mod that provides for a more even temperature inside a mountain. This is also more realistic as temperatures are stable inside mountains in real life.

Issue solved through mod.

brcruchairman

I'm glad you managed to solve your problem, nuschler22. :)

However, for future reference I would like to add that screenshots and savegames, even in cases such as this, are still helpful in confirming that it's a bug; if we all knew exactly why it wasn't working, then finding a fix would be trivial. Many of us are assuming that you're smart; if you can't find the problem, it's probably not something obvious. It's also certainly not something you've checked, otherwise (I hope!) you'd let us know what was breaking your coolers during heat wave events. So when people ask for screenshots, they're asking to see the raw data in case they notice something you DIDN'T consider. Perhaps there's a bug where having a cooking stove next to a cooler breaks it. Maybe the conjunction of a heat wave event and wooden flooring under a mountain deactivates coolers. We don't know. A screenshot would let us recreate the problem as thoroughly as we can, and raise the chances that we could reproduce the bug you've found, and perhaps even figure out why it's going on. :)

All the above said, I also totally understand your frustration; for some folk, when they ask for a screenshot they are looking for some sort of silly error like an unpowered cooler or huge temperature gradients. It's frustrating to feel like you're not being heard, and like people are providing solutions to a problem you don't have (e.g., saying "get more coolers to deal with more heat" rather than saying, "Huh. With identical temperatures, a cooler in a heat wave event doesn't seem to work as well as one without said event.") can be really irritating. So I'd like to offer my condolences for your frustration, and apologies if I added to it. Fortunately, it seems like you've found a solid fix that works for you. Would you be willing to tell us what mod you used? Perhaps if someone else has the same problem, they can find their solution here. :)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 19, 2016, 07:06:18 AM
Must be one of ESM https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0:

That one actually gave me more trouble than not having it.
As did the DnD mod.

To say something about the screenshots too.
It is an absolute non-issue to make and upload a screenshot.
And for me it is a Challenge to the guy who asked for it.
Look at it ! Look and tell me where I did wrong.

If he can prove it was my error I gladly accept and hopefully learned a fix.
If he can't prove it is my fault, I not only presented a situation where a bug is present but also gave detailed instructions for how to replicate the situation.

So back to my screenshot ? Any suggestions what could be the source of the problem ?

RemingtonRyder

Well, cookers do put out heat when they're being used. I don't know if it's enough to counteract the cooling.

The airlocks are kinda small. You want there to be some time between the doors opening and closing for passing colonists. Also, small airlocks experience more variation or so I've observed.

The door on the left seems to be held open. I'm assuming there's another door beyond that.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: MarvinKosh on August 19, 2016, 09:27:56 AM
Well, cookers do put out heat when they're being used. I don't know if it's enough to counteract the cooling.

The airlocks are kinda small. You want there to be some time between the doors opening and closing for passing colonists. Also, small airlocks experience more variation or so I've observed.

The door on the left seems to be held open. I'm assuming there's another door beyond that.

They are autodoors, not to be held open, its the same setup on both ends, I think somebody just went through but is not seen on the screenshot.
Maybe the airlock should be longer, but it is still the same situation as the op describes.
The whole setup works fine, no matter the outside temperature. If it gets hot i dial the coolers up from -5°C to -15 which is enough to keep the room below zero. Even if its 40°C-50°C outside.
But as soon as a heatwave hits all my inside rooms, not only the kitchen, equalize with the outside temperature, without me being able to do something and even after the heatwave passes the coolers can't bring the temperature down.

SpaceDorf

Well guess what .. A cold snap just hit me and it's the same in reverse.

it is now -8°C outside, while my indoor farm still has -17°C with four heaters set to 25°C

Before you say its the path on the right, the path leads to an enclosed geothermal generator .. so from this side there should be +10°C

The farm itself is like the kitchen half under mountain, half outside and enclosed with constructed walls ( this time for real, I checked )

SO WTF ?!?

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

SpaceDorf

At least the temperature rose by itself again, after the coldsnap was over. I did not have to build complete new heaters.