Alpha 13 - New events are gonna be hilarious

Started by RickyMartini, January 28, 2016, 12:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listen1

Reddeath96

I was thinking a sled pulled by wargs in the snowy biomes

JimmyAgnt007

Beware visitors who haul in giant wooden horses as gifts!

Also having wagons, wheelbarrows, or other things to help move stuff around would be awesome. 

Panzer

I guess there wont be any age restrictions with relationships until a later alpha, cant wait to see the first "granny grabber"  ;D

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Panzer on February 16, 2016, 02:05:14 PM
I guess there wont be any age restrictions with relationships until a later alpha, cant wait to see the first "granny grabber"  ;D

This happens in Banished all the time.  65yo man living with a 14yo girl.  suddenly children.  I think people should have a preference for people closer to their own age.

mumblemumble

On the topic of age,  due warning.   https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=122.msg190955#new

Not trying to enforce btw,  just making aware because it was recent
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

JimmyAgnt007

I wasnt suggesting it should happen, just that it did in Banished. 

Tynan can keep this from happening by simply requiring that a pawn be 18 before they start having those kinds of relationships.  Granted in real life it doesnt work that way but it would prolly be for the best.

mumblemumble

I will say,  for the setting of colonists,  id think younger breeding would happen anyway simply because more hands are needed.

I think the rule was specifically aimed at SEXUALIZATION of youth,  not so much if youth have children,  but admins feel free to correct me incase I'm wrong.

And no i wasn't saying you were out of line ,  just the topic is delicate,  and putting it out there. I honestly think 13 years would be the minimum,  just because colonies treat new hands as a premium commodity,  and restriction to an age due to whatever laws people grew up with (which do not apply now,  because cannibalism,  murder,  piracy,  building code,  ect ect) might be ignored in favor of more population generation. It's actually exactly how it is in many,  many tribal,  small areas of the world,  and age of consent is very much a bigger society thing.  Beyond obviously not doing the deed before said girl reaches womanhood (aka puberty),   most of these tribes try to have them younger for healthier offspring,  and best likelihood of healthy adults by trying to have children with larger numbers.

And while rimworld colonies aren't tribal,  they are MUCH smaller than a normal town, and i could see them wanting a long term population solution, given people are either killed, or worn out with age by 40 most of the time.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

JimmyAgnt007

I think there is also a difference with what happens here in the forum and what happens in the game.

Eating people in the game fine.  Locating forum members in the real world and eating them, not so fine.

Listen1

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 16, 2016, 02:56:48 PM
I think there is also a difference with what happens here in the forum and what happens in the game.

Eating people in the game fine.  Locating forum members in the real world and eating them, not so fine.

I believe eating any people is wrong... but that's just my opnion. Some people might disagree

Ectoplasm

Quote from: Listen1 on February 16, 2016, 03:17:46 PM
I believe eating any people is wrong... but that's just my opnion. Some people might disagree

Abhorrent notion for sure, I think we're on safe ground stating that. Thing is....

Have you heard of the 1972 Andes flight disaster?

"Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 was a chartered flight carrying 45 people, including a rugby union team, their friends, family and associates, that crashed in the Andes on 13 October 1972, in an incident known as the Andes flight disaster and, in South America, as the Miracle in the Andes (El Milagro de los Andes). More than a quarter of the passengers died in the crash and several others quickly succumbed to cold and injury. Of the 27 who were alive a few days after the accident, another eight were killed by an avalanche that swept over their shelter in the wreckage. The last 16 survivors were rescued on 23 December 1972, more than two months after the crash.

The survivors had little food and no source of heat in the harsh conditions at over 3,600 metres (11,800 ft) altitude. Faced with starvation and radio news reports that the search for them had been abandoned, the survivors fed on the dead passengers who had been preserved in the snow. Rescuers did not learn of the survivors until 72 days after the crash when passengers Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa, after a 10-day trek across the Andes, found Chilean arriero Sergio Catalán,[1] who gave them food and then alerted the authorities to the existence of the other survivors
".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Andes_flight_disaster

What would you of done in such a situation? It's interesting to consider this, might you of taken a nibble on a dead passenger?

Listen1

Quote from: Ectoplasm on February 17, 2016, 02:09:25 PM
Quote from: Listen1 on February 16, 2016, 03:17:46 PM
What would you of done in such a situation? It's interesting to consider this, might you of taken a nibble on a dead passenger?

Just because it's wrong... dosen't mean I wouldn't do it.
The Andes flight situation is one of the worst thinks it could happen, in one of the worst scenarios. Being in that situation, you will have to do what you need to survive.

Another event would be a Battle Royale (Like the anime/mangá/book), where you get locked up in some place and can only leave if you are the last man standing. I would try to survive as hard as I could, even if that means assaulting or maybe killing someone.

But you are right, it is good to stop and think about this, if everyone did that, and tried to imagine themselfs at other peoples shoes... The world would be a muche better place.

Well, back at the topic.
It would be totally awesome if in the middle of the combat, people would surrender, and you would have the option of letting them walk away, capture them or you know, pew pew headshot.

Also an event where people beg to join your colony, because they don't wanna die. Torture and beating people and gibbet cages could come back to the game, fear bar too.

Am I... a bad person?

Mossy piglet

Quote from: A Friend on February 16, 2016, 06:48:36 AM
How'd they do the caravan part though?

Muffalopacks? Centipedepacks? Thrumbopacks?

Oh yes!
I was thinking more of trucks for towns and for tribes maybe the animal could chandge by biome.
Tardigrades are superior to all other life forms in every way.

Ps I secretly am one I am the king of their civilization.

porcupine

Quote from: Mossy piglet on February 17, 2016, 04:41:27 PM
Quote from: A Friend on February 16, 2016, 06:48:36 AM
How'd they do the caravan part though?

Muffalopacks? Centipedepacks? Thrumbopacks?

Oh yes!
I was thinking more of trucks for towns and for tribes maybe the animal could chandge by biome.

I would assume they took the common sense approach, and simply utilized one of the mods that already does this. 

I played my last game with modvarietypack (first one I've ever used), and it drew a lot of extra gameplay out of the game.  Some of it was seriously OP (IE: the hauler bots/MAI/etc.), but the modified research tree, and the need to refine materials before you could use 'em, made it a serious challenge early on. (albeit, part of that was from not knowing what to do next heh, they need to shade stuff you "could" build, but don't have any of the base resources for, since I found myself desperately trying to figure out how to get "Y", when all I had was "X").

Wayfaerer

On Gender in rimworld.

I think having more fluid genders is a great idea. Especially when we're talking about the far flung future of who knows when were I've been replacing perfectly good limbs on colonists because I have spare robot legs and I need them to be faster. That's stark utilitarianism by contrast to this.

There's no kids or procreation in this yet and I appreciate the comments made about the limitations of modern alteration techniques. But why are we still thinking like it's 2016. We're about a twenty years away from extracorporeal pregnancy, less before we have additional robotic limbs, not just replacement, third and fourth arms, controlled via thought. Genitalia and more importantly identity and the ability to freely express and explore it when it harms no one else. That's a lot closer than when rimworld is set, certainly a lot closer than extracorporeal pregnancy.

And please don't point at science or medicine as evidence for your beliefs on transgender, especially without linking the article. Ignoring the enormous complexity of the uterine environment and the effect it has on even genetically identically twins I would like to point out we haven't found the gay gene either. Doesn't mean people aren't living happy and fulfilling lives with a same sex partner because we can't identify the cause. And given the myriad of things that can happen along the pathway of even anatomical gender development in utero the notion that transgender is all in someone's head belies a poor understanding of gender, embryological development and, most importantly, our current understanding of mental illness.

Apologies to Tynan. I did not want to derail this thread.

But I absolutely would risk the surgery for a colonist who identified as an opposing gender or anywhere along the spectrum on which gender lies, even if they lie off the spectrum. Who we are and who we want to be is a complex mess. I'll grant my opponents that, but the freedom and support to explore identity, especially in a future where we can replace an eye in half a day and be back working in a field a couple of days later, the freedom to do that is important.

And having it in game would be awesome.