[A17/B18] Orbital Hubs United - Dropships 1.2 (14.02.2018)

Started by Cpt.Ohu, April 23, 2017, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exoray

Since I haven't used the parking button I have had no issues so far so I guess its the parking mechanic that causes the object reference error

Bob_Namg

Is this supposed to happen?

All my dudes except for two died but it did allow me to send them on a mystical journey involving cannibalism and a lot of mental breaks to conquer an allied base
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

LiteEmUp

replied for bookmarking purposes..

so when is this going to be released in steam??

also any known mod conflicts??

and requires new saves or current save compatible??

AngleWyrm

Suggestion

Add operational radius to the ship description stats
Measured as a range in world hexes that a ship can jump to and still jump home without refueling.

As a player the stats fuel capacity, consumption rate and speed are arguments to a function to calculate how far the ship can jump before reaching the point of no return. And isn't computing that answer a job fit for a computer?
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

SpaceDorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 14, 2017, 08:10:34 AM
Instead of a calculation could you add a more specific description to the ships ?
Like the gas usage of cars.

Uses about X fuel for 1 World-Tile when fully loaded.
This lets us at least guesstimate the range without you having to patch and program to much.

Quote from: AngleWyrm on July 20, 2017, 08:10:24 AM
Suggestion

Measured as a range in world hexes that a ship can jump to and still jump home without refueling.

As a player the stats fuel capacity, consumption rate and speed are arguments to a function to calculate how far the ship can jump before reaching the point of no return. And isn't computing that answer a job fit for a computer?

What He/She said :P
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Joocoob

I'm not too sure it it's only happening to me.

I set a colonist (or multiple) to load the dropship with whatever is needed (extra fuel, survival meals, etc.) but the colonist(s) always starts wandering off halfway through the job. They don't eat or sleep, they just wander. I haven't waited until they have passed out (though I probably should try that). The only way to I've found to fix this is either to make them board the ship again or arrest and then release them, which fixes their AI, but they don't haul things to the dropship anymore, but it doesn't allow me to utilize more haulers.

I don't intend for this to be a rant or anything, the mod is still freaking awesome and makes the game much more enjoyable.

If I need to send a log of some sort, let me know.

Exoray

Quote from: Joocoob on July 21, 2017, 07:45:39 AM
I'm not too sure it it's only happening to me.

I set a colonist (or multiple) to load the dropship with whatever is needed (extra fuel, survival meals, etc.) but the colonist(s) always starts wandering off halfway through the job. They don't eat or sleep, they just wander. I haven't waited until they have passed out (though I probably should try that). The only way to I've found to fix this is either to make them board the ship again or arrest and then release them, which fixes their AI, but they don't haul things to the dropship anymore, but it doesn't allow me to utilize more haulers.

The same thing happens when you travel say to a mineral deposit or any other location you will stay more than a few days, colonists just seem to not work and just wonder about, only way I have found a way to fix this as mentioned above is to make them enter the ship and leave again then they work as normal. Only seems to happen upon the colonists first time stepping off the ship in new location, and not all of them say 30% of colonists who travelled

SpaceDorf

I have similiar problems with pawn behavior when trying to load my dropship.

I still have no clue what the best settings are.

When I give orders to load the ship they start out happily and stuff everything inside, but after a while they stop and either wander around confused or enter the ship and stop doing anything at all.
I tried with different numbers of loaders 1 assigned to the ship and 2 in the field below, 3 assigned, 2 assigned .. it is always the same behavior.

Is there a "best practive" for loading ?

Canute

I think the issue with the loading ship can be helped a bit, when you allow to load the ship without passengers.
You can let the passenger enter afterwards.

SpaceDorf

Yeah after fiddling a bit tonight I found out how to configure it right .. works like a charm now.

Joocoob

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 22, 2017, 02:18:42 AM
Yeah after fiddling a bit tonight I found out how to configure it right .. works like a charm now.

What do you do? Can you enlighten me?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Joocoob on July 22, 2017, 04:04:46 AM

You have spoken the right words.
Come and partake in my wisdom.

First. : What I did wrong :
Select 6 to 8 Pawns, fully loaded, on the passengers screen and lots of single items until the cargo hold is full ..
When Pawns got in, kicked them out and ordered them to load or do other things, when they were wandering confused.

This led to a place where 6 pawns were wandering confused and getting breakdowns because of tiredness, hunger and boredom while two sat in the boat and twiddled their thumbs.
Nothing got loaded and when I tried to order my other pawns back in the boat it did not work anymore. ...

What I do now :

Select the Pawns in the passengers tab which I want to take with me on the flight.
Select the Cargo on the Items Tab until I have everything, or the boat is full.
Then I deselect all pawns but one or two.
Set the Number of Min Haulers at the bottom between 2 and 4 and let them at it ..
When the Thumbtwiddler Squad starts getting comfy in the boat, the others keep loading,
until I get a nice little message like with the Launchpods.

Then I send the rest of the crew into the dropship.
Problem is, that there can only be one cargo interaction at the same time, either loading or boarding. When to many Pawns try to load they get confused and don't know whos turn it is.
Refuelling does work in parallel but getting 3000 Units of fuel is a bitch :)

===== EDIT ======

I nearly forgot the final part of wisdom.
When you have done the above .. be patient and ignore the pawns until the ship is loaded .. it's like boiling water.
Don't look, it will happen.

Joocoob

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 22, 2017, 06:22:04 AM
Quote from: Joocoob on July 22, 2017, 04:04:46 AM

You have spoken the right words.
Come and partake in my wisdom.

First. : What I did wrong :
Select 6 to 8 Pawns, fully loaded, on the passengers screen and lots of single items until the cargo hold is full ..
When Pawns got in, kicked them out and ordered them to load or do other things, when they were wandering confused.

This led to a place where 6 pawns were wandering confused and getting breakdowns because of tiredness, hunger and boredom while two sat in the boat and twiddled their thumbs.
Nothing got loaded and when I tried to order my other pawns back in the boat it did not work anymore. ...

What I do now :

Select the Pawns in the passengers tab which I want to take with me on the flight.
Select the Cargo on the Items Tab until I have everything, or the boat is full.
Then I deselect all pawns but one or two.
Set the Number of Min Haulers at the bottom between 2 and 4 and let them at it ..
When the Thumbtwiddler Squad starts getting comfy in the boat, the others keep loading,
until I get a nice little message like with the Launchpods.

Then I send the rest of the crew into the dropship.
Problem is, that there can only be one cargo interaction at the same time, either loading or boarding. When to many Pawns try to load they get confused and don't know whos turn it is.
Refuelling does work in parallel but getting 3000 Units of fuel is a bitch :)

===== EDIT ======

I nearly forgot the final part of wisdom.
When you have done the above .. be patient and ignore the pawns until the ship is loaded .. it's like boiling water.
Don't look, it will happen.

Thank you good sir, those words of wisdom will greatly assist me in my journeys across the planet.

Madman666

This mod's damn cool! I always wanted something more than just drop pods. The only thing it lacks is takeoff\flight\landing sounds.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 20, 2017, 08:47:48 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 14, 2017, 08:10:34 AM
Instead of a calculation could you add a more specific description to the ships ?
Like the gas usage of cars.

Uses about X fuel for 1 World-Tile when fully loaded.
This lets us at least guesstimate the range without you having to patch and program to much.

Quote from: AngleWyrm on July 20, 2017, 08:10:24 AM
Suggestion

What He/She said :P

I'll put the fuel consumption and a speed factor into the description. Fuel consumption is currently defined as fuel per second of flight, and a speed factor of 1 (normal dropship) means roughly 2 seconds of flight per world tile + the respective time it takes for the ship to drop on / leave a map. This calculation is a bit complicated to put into an estimate of fuel consumption on the screen, though I'll see what I can do.

And what would the reference point for the proposed point of no return be? The current parking spot? The nearest player settlement? The current position of the ship?

Quote from: Bob_Namg on July 19, 2017, 09:04:49 PM
Is this supposed to happen?

In the newest version raiders are set to land on the edge of the map, so no, this shouldn't happen anymore, unless the random drop spot finder made an unlucky decision.

Quote from: Madman666 on July 22, 2017, 11:06:46 AM
This mod's damn cool! I always wanted something more than just drop pods. The only thing it lacks is takeoff\flight\landing sounds.

Thank you! I wanted to put in sounds, but that turned out to be a bit more difficult, hence I postponed this feature.

In general the cargo loading system has had this problem since its inception. I cannot for the life of me figure out what happens to those pawns wandering around confused. I tried copying the droppod loading system as closely as possible. Thank you SpaceDorf for providing a guide to loading without errors. I'd like to put this on the front page as an explanation for new users.