Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritzgryphon

Wow, the adjustment to difficulty in .1967.  The fun points in my save increased by 40% in a week.

Figured I would accept the next chased refugee.  Turned out to be 18 enemies (vs my 10) with good guns, 2 Doomsdays and 1 Triple RL (Cass Medium). With some insanity lances, bionic leg kiting and shield belt dancing I beat it.  Even if most of my guys, and the refugee, died.  My pawns had decent armor and assault rifles, save for 2 who had a bionic eye, arm and leg each, and charge lances.

It was a fun challenge, but it seemed odd to meet a force stronger than your own on medium.  I only fought the raid as an experiment; there's no way this would be worth the risk in serious play. 

edit:  And next day, no kidding, a raid of 8 guys with bolt rifles and machine pistols shows up.  I have 2 pawns that aren't dead or incap.  Fun points is 45 and adaptation is -30.

e.  Made them chase me in circles through my base waiting for incap to get up.  Repelled the raid and captured one.  Yay!

Flaye

Hello, first time hero here.
I have few hundreds of hours played on Rimworld but I'm still playing rather for fun watching my colony prosper or die horribly.

Last build I played on Randy Rough, Boreal Forest, Full Commitment mode, large hills. Craslanded Scenario but with only basic clothes, 5 meals and a steel knife. Started pretty nicely, people were adding up, after two quadrums already on 8 people.

Biggest problem was winter as we didn't food and a lot of people were waking up with starvation. Always some very lucky animals came and made us nice dinners so that was nice. By the end of winter I finally researched hydroponics and with two geothermal generators and 1k of steel in stockpile I finally made myself some nice rice farm and I barely pulled thru even tho when the snow finally disappeared and I sowed my big outside fields, cold snap happened.

What ended my colony was when psychic ship fell on one side of my map. It started slowly with -12 mood debuff. I sent my builder to build some walls from where I was planning to take the ship on. It was only day 57 so it couldn't be that big eh? Building those defensive walls took some time as he was my only builder and he had a lot of work in the base with those hydroponics. Halfway to finishing it raid arrived and started preparing on my only side I had pretty poor defensive perimeter on. So I made very clever decision to move to them as they were preparing behind big natural wall and I was planning to catch them with my melees as they move onto my base so they couldn't shoot properly (They had assault rifle and some bolt-actions and pistols. I had only some maces and two bolt-action rifles.

Fortunately the action happened pretty well. Nobody died from my side, only 3 downed. Raid started to run away, one of them started to run TO my colony. Hmm. So I picked few new future recruits and my downed colonists and ran with this one raider to my colony. He started banging on one of my doors as my people were passing thru other door to my base. I said to myself "well, one more recruit wouldn't hurt" so I sent my builder(who is also brawler and nimble with 12 in melee with passion) to get this last raider banging on my door. As soon as he got into melee range the raider did quick 180 bashed him into head and killed my colonist.

And it all spiralled pretty quickly to hell then. Ship debuff jumped to -24, colonist and friend of everyone died, builder had even lover Paula who despaired even more. She was also one of my medics (In 8 colonists ONLY 2 were capable of caring with medical 8 and 6). First murderous rage of some random colonist. We pacified him. In fact Paula was holding pretty well with no break. Another murderous rage from someone else, also handled pretty well. So I had a lot of people injured but Paula without any injury tending to them.

Ship jumped to -36.
Everyone was now on 0 mood. Leo said "Better live with rats than this" and ran away to live as a wild man. I had to do something with this ship, it was now or never. Sent everyone to those half finished walls and started to shoot the ship. Oh hey, only two long range scythers. (I think scythers are only melee now but don't remember what are called the range ones) I killed them "pretty" easily with only one colonist getting shot twice. Send the mclsoe to ship to destroy it as soon as possible. Well something didn't work out as I was giving orders to them as a group and while they did destroy the ship, Paula managed to hit and kill the injured colonist. One less friend.

The dissappearance of -36 didn't at all by now. Another murderous spree, one jailbreaking (Kinda weird as she unlocked him, and shouted him to run and maybe coz she was standing in the door the first thing he did was to knock her out (He was fully healed by now with 15 in melee) and he knocked another one then, another murderous spree and now both my medics can't walk badly injured no one to tend to my colonist everyone is slowly dying. Well that was fun!

tl:dr : I failed and died.

Next try at Naked Brutality 3 drop pods in eight day, then raider came and kidnaped my colonist so my story was over and I was watching the three dummies laying in my house (6x5) next to meals and everything and slowly died by malnutrition coz they weren't healed to maximum. Working properly but funny.

Last thing in my new colony I had husband and wife with mother of the husband. The mother got infection in her liver so she had no chance to survive with herbal medicine as it decreases blood filtration so I wanted to try to euthanise her to end her suffering with the wife.. well.. the husband has now -150 with her as she killed his friend, mother and a colonist. Why do we even have the choice to euthanise?

Adding screenshot of adaptation with my 66 days colony.

Great work with the Rimworld, love playing it.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Madman666

Quote from: fritzgryphon on July 17, 2018, 04:29:18 PM
It was a fun challenge, but it seemed odd to meet a force stronger than your own on medium.

Chased refugee raids are currently as OP as infestations are, so thats no surprise. But medium difficulty putting you down like that is. And a nasty one.

Haplo

The latest changes broke something in the language interpreter.
I got 292 new errors that weren't there yesterday:
(And this is NOT a difference in the xml files between 1966 and 1967)

Translation report for German

========== General load errors (0) ==========

========== Def-injected translations load errors (292) ==========
Couldn't inject LuciferiumAddiction.stages.withdrawal.label into Verse.HediffDef (Hediffs_Global_Drugs.xml): None of the list elements have a handle named withdrawal.
Couldn't inject LuciferiumAddiction.stages.withdrawal.label into Verse.HediffDef (Hediffs_Global_Drugs.xml): None of the list elements have a handle named withdrawal.
Couldn't inject AnimalChat.logRulesInitiator.rulesStrings into RimWorld.InteractionDef (Interactions_Animal.xml): Field rulesStrings defined on type Verse.Grammar.RulePack is not a field on the target object which is of type RimWorld.InteractionDef.
Parameter name: obj

Btw: Can you maybe switch the coding of the translation report file from ANSI to UTF-8?
For german I get entries like this: 'Mir gefällt meine Arbeit.' where it should be 'Mir gefällt meine Arbeit.' instead.

Greep

Friendlies (event, not called friendlies) now actually seem a bit too awesome.  Just had a 12 pirate attack, with an equal number of friendlies.  Because they were a spread out multi-attack the friendlies just wiped the first group out instantly, and I helped out them wipe out the other groups with just two shield dudes.

[attachment deleted due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

gadjung

Granite block misses Beauty when-made-of stat - my Masterwork granite plant pot gives 0 beauty (does not have it even listed), same as normal quality one...

About infestations : not too op if one is ready for them. Recently had one (i think 5 or 7 hives) and my team of brave 4 melle, 4 shooting and 1 medic in plate armor (good/excellent) handled it pretty well (without any good weapons ikwas/maces/poor shotguns). also spacing matters

Madman666

Thats actually a good thing. They don't really come on their own often, maintaining relations is a pain and they do lose relation with you for losing fighters. So they should be a lucky bail out ticket, that happens once in a while. Its a huge improvement over B18, where they sent like 6 fearless dudes to help you againt 100+ pirates.

Quote from: gadjung on July 17, 2018, 04:46:32 PM
About infestations : not too op if one is ready for them. Recently had one (i think 5 or 7 hives) and my team of brave 4 melle, 4 shooting and 1 medic in plate armor (good/excellent) handled it pretty well (without any good weapons ikwas/maces/poor shotguns). also spacing matters

Until you get 15, not 5. Then it stops being not too op.

NotTheMattGuy

Gating water mill behind research was a great move. Ironically, the complaints saying it was a bad move likely indicate that it achieved the desired result. They FAR outperformed the other options on landing with their stability... And with proper mill setup, it functionally can remove the desire for geothermal. Gating it behind research adds a meaningful decision as to what you will research first/next/target for power/etc...

The only form I suppose would be stupid is if it was gated in order. I.E. Electricity -> Watermill -> Geo... It's not though, so I digress.

The other "You NEED these skills on crash landed!!!" arguments seem weak. You're not supposed to have a "good" start, you're supposed to have an interesting story. If you do not struggle at all, it's sort of silly. The fact that people are capable of doing Naked Brutality + Extreme + Any storyteller + Random pawn + Ice Sheet/Random start and several achieving modicums of success show that you can pull off some very interesting stuff with creativity.

It would be wonderful to have to carefully choose your starting pawns and be stuck between "do I get a good researcher this time, or a good cook?" for example.

I would even go further and say that we should have a mode that's Permadeath + No pawn rerolls (Super commitment mode!). Choose from what you get. Make our options meaningful.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Greep

Eh, that's pretty much what NB is, though, as you can make your starting colonist only so useful and everyone else is random.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

Tass237

Quote from: NotTheMattGuy on July 17, 2018, 04:53:08 PM
You're not supposed to have a "good" start, you're supposed to have an interesting story. If you do not struggle at all, it's sort of silly. The fact that people are capable of doing Naked Brutality + Extreme + Any storyteller + Random pawn + Ice Sheet/Random start and several achieving modicums of success show that you can pull off some very interesting stuff with creativity.

This argument ignores the difference in ability between people who have hundreds of hours in Rimworld, and those who are new to it. too much "struggle" is off-putting to new players, and what the most experienced players are capable of with a little luck, has no bearing on how difficult the "standard" start of the game should be. I haven't personally played with Watermills, because I haven't played on a river map yet in 1.0, so for the specific case of watermills, gating them behind research may be fine, but your argument's generalizations are potentially toxic to new players. The game is plenty punishing enough to new players even if you give them research for solar panels and batteries on day 1.

If an experienced player thinks that the standard starting conditions are too easy or generous to create a fun experience for them, then they can create a custom scenario. That's what the custom scenario editor is there for: to customize a scenario for your enjoyment.

Sirsir

I don't think infestations are that hard to deal with. Had a team of 6 guys handle 5 hives relatively well, one guy got downed (he was Nimble so he was the main tank), 2 guys with significant wounds. In fact only 2 of them had guns, most of the work was done by spears, 300 style.

All in heavy/elephant/rhino leather gear, 4 good spears, a good autopistol and a normal pump shotty. Basically one walked up, got stabbed by 3 spears, died on the first/second hit. They walked through a doorway single file, where their numbers counted for nothing.

Admittedly this is OP spear meta, but still it went very well. And OF COURSE they showed up in the hospital... what is it with bugs and hospitals? Even though it was empty I got 3 infections in the post battle mess cuz the place was covered in dirt and various colors of blood.

Madman666

Quote from: Tass237 on July 17, 2018, 05:06:13 PM
This argument ignores the difference in ability between people who have hundreds of hours in Rimworld, and those who are new to it.

This argument also ignores difference not only in experience, but also in a playstyle. Not everyone enjoys relieving a dramatic\tragic and interesting story, constantly hanging over an abyss. Some enjoy building and managing a damn colony (it is posed as colony manager) and trying to make it a successful, rich city, with kinds of goods, many people interacting with each and etc.

So save extreme, naked gruesome death for those who want it. Some actually like to have a "decent start", instead of a wreck you have to pull on a hair to drag from a pit of misery and failure.

Quote from: Sirsir on July 17, 2018, 05:23:05 PM
I don't think infestations are that hard to deal with. Had a team of 6 guys handle 5 hives relatively well, one guy got downed (he was Nimble so he was the main tank), 2 guys with significant wounds. In fact only 2 of them had guns, most of the work was done by spears, 300 style.

All in heavy/elephant/rhino leather gear, 4 good spears, a good autopistol and a normal pump shotty. Basically one walked up, got stabbed by 3 spears, died on the first/second hit. They walked through a doorway single file, where their numbers counted for nothing.

Admittedly this is OP spear meta, but still it went very well. And OF COURSE they showed up in the hospital... what is it with bugs and hospitals? Even though it was empty I got 3 infections in the post battle mess cuz the place was covered in dirt and various colors of blood.

As i said, wait for them to spawn 15-20 and have fun dealing with that. And don't worry spear meta as well as 3 on a door gang-up tactic will get their nerf in due time.

Btw i won't be surprised if it turns out, that infestation has its probability increased for rooms that are considered hospitals in its code :P They just looove to crap on those clean white sterile floors.

Greep

Well spear nerf will definitely be deserved lol.  In my last encounter with centipedes:

1) First killed instantly on first strike
2) Second killed in 4 hits
3) Third killed in 3 hits

Hopefully it will be a nudge rather than a nerf hammer as melee is still risky (well lazy ;))

I don't see anything wrong with 3 dudes in a door though.  If you're daring to do infestations without burning/traps/turrets you deserve whatever advantage you can muster.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Madman666 on July 17, 2018, 05:27:28 PM
Not everyone enjoys relieving a dramatic\tragic and interesting story, constantly hanging over an abyss. Some enjoy building and managing a damn colony (it is posed as colony manager) and trying to make it a successful, rich city, with kinds of goods, many people interacting with each and etc.

So save extreme, naked gruesome death for those who want it. Some actually like to have a "decent start", instead of a wreck you have to pull on a hair to drag from a pit of misery and failure.

Dude, that's what the lower difficulties are for. I deliberately chose a scenario beyond Naked Brutality, but played it on Phoebe Medium, and am thriving. I'm not even that good of a player; at best, I'm middlin'. The basic Crashlanded scenario with medium or lower difficulty should still offer basic challenge for those who want to build a big base.

Madman666

Well, as it is even medium difficulty which should be nowhere near extreme is perfectly capable of breaking your ass without you being a massive derp even. :P And its not really so much about the difficulty, but about starting conditions.