[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eksynn

Quote from: Canute on November 25, 2018, 04:04:09 PM
That would be a nice idea.
But Torann would need to made all spells/abilities craftable.
And like the previous learnable spells they can't be improved.
But this "universal" mage could learn a few more spells then the other mages.
I would say 8 normal and 2 master spells could be good.
• thank you ( ◠ ‿◠)
• i think they already are, no? or is it just the non-class spells? either way i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to go through the code and auto-replace/add whatever's necessary
• having them being unable to be improved could be a side-effect of this mage style.. either that or they can just be improved in the magic tab if no class has been selected, or through a different furniture thing or something, or a consumable item.. something. lol -shrug-
• there already are spells that don't come in specific classes - the spells that the layline mage could learn would simply belong to other classes

TheJinx

Really like the death knight so far one thing I think you should do though is that permanent injuries or any injuries should increase the default amount of hate you have as opposed to it regenerating to 20% it would know  be increased by a certain amount when you are missing a hand or a leg something like that or maybe make a way to heal from permanent injuries since they can't use any fighter skills or magic skills.

Torann

I made a discord channel for the mod: https://discord.gg/QUAB8Z

Quote from: eksynn on November 25, 2018, 08:53:19 AM
is this the update with the devmode edit too?
You'll need to get v2.3.0.1 for the new dev mode functions.  It will allow you to reset all invested skillpoints (which does work now for every class) or remove the class entirely.  You'll want to perform a save/reload after clearing a class (preferably on a test save to make sure the changes are what you intend).

Torann

Quote from: TheJinx on November 25, 2018, 05:30:16 PM
Really like the death knight so far one thing I think you should do though is that permanent injuries or any injuries should increase the default amount of hate you have as opposed to it regenerating to 20% it would know  be increased by a certain amount when you are missing a hand or a leg something like that or maybe make a way to heal from permanent injuries since they can't use any fighter skills or magic skills.
I really like this idea.  I'll tell you what, I'll have the amount of "pain" a pawn has increase the default hate level, I think that'll work nicely.

Edit: I think it's worth mentioning though that each stage of hate DOES decrease your movement rate.  It's the drawback to having high hate.  So this might, indirectly, cause your pawn to down due to lack of movement.

TheJinx

"downed from hate" sounds interesting lol

Canute

I hate it to be downed, I NEED TO FIGHT !! :-)

eksynn,
currently only a few universal mage spells are craftable like Blink or Mend equipment.
And some specialized spells like dry ground. All other spell you learn with skill points.
Since Master spells arn't learned with skill points you can craft them too.

NameHere

I like druids, but it's easier honestly easier for me to use a priest to do their regrowth since the res spell regrows/fixes parts. It'd be cool if the seed of regrowth was the only component you needed for surgery and the cooldown was longer or something.

TheJinx

Well the thing is...each class needs to feel like it has something to offer that the other ones don't, so that people don't just say "oh I'll just go so and so because it's a better version of so and so"
which Torann does really well with the classes some exceptions are probably...legendary blademaster and legendary sniper those are just...op in general with not a lot of down sides. they're really fun to use though at least legendary blademaster is with his phasic slash or whatever it's called and the snipers tranq bullet.

Canute

Quote from: NameHere on November 26, 2018, 04:59:02 PM
I like druids, but it's easier honestly easier for me to use a priest to do their regrowth since the res spell regrows/fixes parts. It'd be cool if the seed of regrowth was the only component you needed for surgery and the cooldown was longer or something.
But the druids regrown parts get even a better eff. then normal ones. So you don't need Bionics.
That you would miss with the priest res spell.

TheJinx

yeah I always thought that was a pretty cool feature

crusader2010

Speaking of druids, I just tried to cure the Flu from one of my animals (it's a Groundrunner, from one the of the animal mods). Had 1 point in Effective Treatment (to never fail) and 2 points in Disease Knowledge.

The Flu didn't get cured and a message popped up that "You cannot cure a diseases of this type".

Is this supposed to happen?
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

eksynn

Quote from: Torann on November 25, 2018, 05:39:22 PM
I made a discord channel for the mod: https://discord.gg/QUAB8Z
you forgot to make the invite permanent lol

also, reposting my question/request:
Quote from: eksynn
question, is it possible to make it so you don't need to be in a class to learn other spells?
or at least make a trait that lets you learn any magic spell? like "attuned with the universal lay lines" or something

i noticed that i wanted spells from other classes, but only ever really used one or two spells from my current class, while ignoring the other 3 or 4 spells completely
the trait would allow people to still use the current class system, while giving classless people the choice of what to learn.. the downside is that they would either have to craft the spells, or buy it off of traders

pretty please, @Torann ? D:

addition:
• having them being unable to be improved could be a side-effect of this mage style.. either that or they can just be improved in the magic tab if no class has been selected, or through a different furniture thing, or a consumable item.. or something. lol

Torann

Torann

Quote from: eksynn
question, is it possible to make it so you don't need to be in a class to learn other spells?
or at least make a trait that lets you learn any magic spell? like "attuned with the universal lay lines" or something
It's certainly possible, and wouldn't take an enormous amount of work, certainly less than developing a new, unique class.
You'd end up with some 60+ 'spells' that would flood into vendors or clutter a workbench (even more), so that's a down side.

My biggest argument against this type of class is that it violates the design of the mod.  Each class is intended to have their strengths and weaknesses that expand on the depth of play and require the player to use what they have available to make the most of the situation they're in.  To me, that's what makes the story interesting and worth rewriting again and again.

Maybe the class could have a mechanic that would learn/acquire random abilities and have ~5 abilities available at any given time and after a certain amount of time those abilities would cycle out for others.  I doubt this is what you're after though, since you wouldn't have control over which spells you had at any given time.

More in-line with the mod design and what you're asking for might be single-use items (spell scrolls, reagents, etc) or even more powerful items with inherent abilities.

Esterior

Hello Torann! First off thanks for the awesome mod! It adds quite a bit of tactical consideration with these classes during battle, definitely enrich the game play a lot!

I have thought of two classes as a suggestion, so here goes. Both are fighters as I feel fighters really need some love.

1) Noble

Mostly a fighter class focused on buffs. It has a -15 mood modifier for each other noble in the colony and will have bad relationship eith other noble, causing fights with them.

Ability 1: Accolade - persistent buff to another pawn, increasing their movement speed and combat effectiveness. Give non-magical/ fighter pawn an ability call  charge which allow for a short distance dash attack/ buff depending on target they are dashing to. Maybe when it interact with fighter / mage pawn, it can give specific buff instead. I.e. a bard get buff call royal jester, swordsman get royal knight, etc. Limited to 4 pawns at max ability.

Ability 2: Authority - an aoe ability that cause enermy to wander for a bit and buff ally in targetted area, not too long distance. Higher level can stun enemy for a bit.

Ability 3: Rally/ invigorate - recover stamina and buff fighters. Non fighter/ mage only gets buff.

Ability 4: Royal feast - starts a party that greatly increase and Fill pawns hunger meter? Dont know if this is possible, could make it auto-cast.

2) Steam technician

A fighter class focus on using special structure for ability. Each of their ability can be targetted at enemy or at a special structure call steam core. Steam core can be built by anyone and have small beauty, doesnt do much without steam tech though.

Ability 1: Arm steam core: Flash freeze - a cold attack that slow an enemy. When casted on a steam core, become an aoe attack that last for a while. Short to mid range.

Thats all. Thanks for reading. Again, thank you for the awesome mod!

Ability 2: Arm steam core: tesla ball - shock enemy, has a chance to stun. When cast on steam core, aoe and last for a while, also act as emp toward mechs.

Ability 3: Steam burst - a small aoe that damage and push pack enemy, similar to repulsion. Cast on steam core, steam core is destroyed for a big explosion and further knockback.

Ability 4: Clockwalk Walker - a self buff that increase movement speed and provide shield to protect oneself.