Art Modifications - Resources

Started by shadowtajun, March 05, 2014, 06:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

palandus

What I mean is replace a single color with transparency... I don't know how you do it for other programs, but for GIMP 2.8:

1) EDIT -> Select All
2) LAYER -> Transparency -> Color to Alpha -> [Click on button From ___ to Alpha; to choose a color] -> Move the pointer to Black (uppermost leftmost corner).

That's what I mean Darker.

@Others; I'm also looking for new textures for weapons, pawn clothing, and other ingame objects for anyone who is interested. If someone is interested, I'll post specifics here.

shadowtajun

post them up :) someone will be interested in doing it :)
Blog: www.liteart.tumblr.com
Portfolio: www.shadowtajun.com
Twitter: @tajunshadow

palandus

Sounds like a plan to me, Shadow.

For my mod, I'm looking to have basically all of the textures eventually replaced with community drawn ones. I like the visual theme that Tynan uses, for the base game, but for my mod, it just won't work. So, in a lot of ways my mod will be very uncanonical; it won't follow the same rules or history of the base game.

I'll also release the mod to whoever wants it, but I'm unlikely to post it in the modding section, as I'll have to rebuild my mod (probably entirely) everytime a new Alpha is released as it will be aiming to fully convert the base game into the game I would like it to play as.

As for textures, people use your imagination, and if possible post some WIP shots to ensure we are on the same page.

Weapons Textures: (Preferably a gun texture that looks futuristic; the [] is to just give an idea of what kind of ammo it would use: Bullets, Shells, Lasers, Plasma, etc...); If someone wants to do different bullet textures that would be swell too!

3-Shot Burst Pistol (Replace Pistol) [Bullets]
Assault Shotgun (Replace Shotgun) [Shells]
Marksman Rifle (Replace Enfield) [Bullets]
Machine Gun (Replace M16) [Bullets]
Penetrator Rifle (Replace M24) [Bullets]
Submachine Gun (Replace Uzi) [Bullets]
Plasma Rifle (Replace R4) [Plasma]

Pawn Clothing:
-> Patchwork Hide Armor (from animal skins)
-> Iron Half-Plate Armor (made from scrap metal, with a reddish rusty look to it)
-> Combat Armor (Something like looks somewhat reminiscent of Halo infantry armor, with metal plates in specific places)
-> Power Armor (Something that fully encases a colonist)

Other ingame objects:
-> Retextures of any of the other objects
-> Also looking for someone who can make a:
Cyropod, Concrete Barricade, Barbed Wire, Fence, and a Mini Solar Cell (1x1).
-> Will have more ideas later.

shadowtajun

What perspective are we talking? isometric, front on, top down?

palandus

Guns and Armor is front on I believe (if I understand the term correctly)

Barricade, Fence, Cyropod, Barbed Wire, and Mini Solar Cell are isometric (an illusion of 3D, right?)

Serrate Bloodrage

Palandus, tell me what you think of this? Not sure of the feel you are going for exactly, however I thought I'd give a rifle a go.

Don't be shy to say it isn't the style you are looking for. I do most using simple paint tools and the paintbrush so I'm well aware it wont be to everyone's taste :)

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

palandus

They look good. I like them a lot!

Serrate Bloodrage

Here's another two. Not happy with the marksman rifle, but the size of the cell and number of pixels gives me some limitations

Add: smg, no point making multi-posts just to add a new image

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Serrate Bloodrage

Maybe I used to much solid black on both of them today...I can soften them if there is to big a contrast between the weapons when they are in game (I haven't tried out any of it in game to tell. They just look quite different with the background colour of this forum)

palandus

They look fine to me. However, I am moving forward in life in general and I no longer have time to do any modding. So if anyone wants to utilize the artwork go for it. Have a good day!

shadowtajun

Can we edit the core images? if so how?

I'd love to see some of these images in my game.

Darker

You might try overriding original Def's... Like if there's:

<ThingDef ParentName="DoorBase">
<defName>DoorSimple</defName>
<label>Simple door</label>
<description>Seals rooms apart. Must be manually opened and closed, which slows people down.</description>
<workToBuild>150</workToBuild>
<texturePath>Things/Building/Door/DoorSimple_Movable</texturePath>
<menuIconPath>Things/Building/Door/DoorSimple_MenuIcon</menuIconPath>
<costList>
<li>
<thingDef>Metal</thingDef>
<count>20</count>
</li>
</costList>
</ThingDef>

I haven't tryed this, but maybe if you create a new def:
<ThingDef>
<defName>DoorSimple</defName>
<texturePath>Things/Building/Door/DoorSimple_Movable</texturePath>
<menuIconPath>Things/Building/Door/DoorSimple_MenuIcon</menuIconPath>
</ThingDef>

And you only define the textures, it might override the original textures. Try it and tell me :)
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Cala13er

Quote from: Serrate Bloodrage on March 13, 2014, 12:28:29 AM
Palandus, tell me what you think of this? Not sure of the feel you are going for exactly, however I thought I'd give a rifle a go.

Don't be shy to say it isn't the style you are looking for. I do most using simple paint tools and the paintbrush so I'm well aware it wont be to everyone's taste :)

Those are just downscaled versions of the guns with an outline right? Because that looks exactly like a downscaled image.

Serrate Bloodrage

If you are asking if I drew them big then shrunk them to fit, then yes. I tried cleaning them up a bit where it didn't translate well.

Hancake

I am really, really interested in making a texture pack for rimworld. However..I don't have the foggiest how to go about it. Do I need any coding knowledge to be able to make it? Are texture packs even compatible with rimworld at its current development?

What software are people using to make these images- I typically use PS, but I noticed aseprite mentioned somewhere in there. Clueless :')