Siege is really imbalanced !!

Started by Monzer, August 30, 2016, 11:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monzer

I started with Cassandra , Extreme , Permadeath.. 2 colonist died from plague ended up with 2 one of them not violent after a while a siege attack started there is no way i can go there and fight them decided to stay in and hope for the best ( visitors tackle , mad animal attack them lol was so desperate  ) they built 2 incendiary mortar and the BBQ began ok np they will ran out of shells and start to attack my colony but no the artillery shells kept on coming and they burned everything to the ground not even rain stopped that. I'm sure you guys have ideas how to defend that I was somehow too late with my researches but even if I had mortar wont help I'd say still its nearly impossible to play extreme without prepare carefully right ?

keylocke

try to get at least 1 sniper rifle asap (try get a good ratio of snipers to current population. ie : i usually go 1/3 snipers, 1/3 assault rifle, 1/3 melee, the odd ones out are grenadiers).

set your sniper squad as dedicated hunters. try to get them to around 10 shooting skill.

the sooner you get a sniper squad set up, the easier it is to deal with enemies while getting minimal injuries/casualties.

---------------

i know a lot of people don't think that rimworld is an RTS tower defense game + colony sim, but.. that's the way i've been playing this game since day one.

in my mindset, it's a pretty good RTS tower defense colony sim game. which is why i enjoyed playing it.

A Friend

I luckily got out of a seige event once without the use of sniper rifles. Early game and my 5 pawns were only equipped with a few shotguns and a rifle then a 7 man siege came up. What I did was look around the ancient structures for anything useful and then I found an insanity lance. I positioned my people behind a nearby hill and then when everything was ready, I had my sole pacifist back home activate the lance on a shielded raider in the middle of the camp. He distracted the snipers while my colonists moved in and shotgunned them in the face. The berserk raider went down half-way through the fight and 4 raiders remained. One fell down and the rest retreated.

I won in the end with only a few gunshot wounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you don't have any shields or long range weapons, I suggest maybe hiding inside a mountain where mortars can't get ya or opening up ancient structures then luring the mechanoids/space soldiers inside to the raider camp. If there is a lance or something in there, use the strategy above.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

zandadoum

Quote from: Monzer on August 30, 2016, 11:17:59 PM
I started with Cassandra , Extreme , Permadeath.. 2 colonist died from plague ended up with 2 one of them not violent after a while a siege attack started there is no way i can go there and fight them decided to stay in and hope for the best ( visitors tackle , mad animal attack them lol was so desperate  ) they built 2 incendiary mortar and the BBQ began ok np they will ran out of shells and start to attack my colony but no the artillery shells kept on coming and they burned everything to the ground not even rain stopped that. I'm sure you guys have ideas how to defend that I was somehow too late with my researches but even if I had mortar wont help I'd say still its nearly impossible to play extreme without prepare carefully right ?
bolded out your problem. try rough next time...

welcome to rimworld

Chibiabos

There are several ways of dealing with sieges.  Here are 3 ways I deal with them:

• Send out snipers teams ... takes a bit of micromanagement to do it, given the raiders will typically have their own snipers, but depending on the terrain you can usually pick off some of the enemy raiders.  The raiders will sometimes stupidly have their snipers man the mortars, which makes them unavailable to protect their fellow raiders.  Try taking out their snipers if you can do so safely, or if not just pick off the ones you can.  Generally if you kill enough of them, they'll abort the siege (but be ready for them to assault your colony instead).  Also, look for large predators near their siege teams ... if you shoot a bear, panther or other large predator that is closer to them than to your colonists, that predator will go into manhunter mode and hunt after the nearest human (and if, as I suggest, you make sure your shooter is farther from the predator than the predator is from the raiders, that predator will go after the raiders).
  • Send your colonists to hit them at night when they sleep.  This can work, but you need to make sure you have enough fighting colonists well-rested at night and requires tricky timing.
  • Build your own siege mortars.  You can siege them while they are still building theirs.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

mrofa

You know very funny fact, shells do explode just like turrets when heavy damaged, mortars do explode when heavy damaged. And goddamn how fast you can wipe out sige camp.
Your best bet is ofc sniper rifle, but if you dont have one your next best thing is personal shield. Get one of colonist to run around with a shild close engouh to distract enemies, while other to shoot shells or mortar.
All i do is clutter all around.

Chibiabos

Quote from: mrofa on August 31, 2016, 03:16:26 AM
You know very funny fact, shells do explode just like turrets when heavy damaged, mortars do explode when heavy damaged. And goddamn how fast you can wipe out sige camp.
Your best bet is ofc sniper rifle, but if you dont have one your next best thing is personal shield. Get one of colonist to run around with a shild close engouh to distract enemies, while other to shoot shells or mortar.

There's no one-size-fits-all 'best bet.'

If you have some sort of incendiary weapon, you can also start a fire near their siege camp.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

mrofa

Quote from: Chibiabos on August 31, 2016, 03:24:39 AM
Quote from: mrofa on August 31, 2016, 03:16:26 AM

There's no one-size-fits-all 'best bet.'

Except minigun :D
All i do is clutter all around.

ShadowTani

Part of the problem is that he had a non-voilent colonist too...

In situations like these I have a hard time appreciating the "unable to do, ever" thingy of the skill system. I can understand them not wanting to, but that doesn't mean they can't -  a person without arms or legs can't, these forbidden skills is just due to snobbery, ideology  or trauma; in situations of life and death it would make sense one could force these whiners to do stuff anyway - at a significant mood debuff of course, and a reduced lingering debuff after being forced. Along with that forbidden skills would never gain experience and act as a perma skill level 1 then I think that would be plenty balanced in favor of not forcing those skills unless absolutely necessary.

But I digress, you can always use the non-voilent one as bait to have them fire their bullets away from the base... And if you had a sniper rifle you only need one colonist to weed them out anyway - though at a risk whenever they got survival/sniper rifles of their own.

Sieges aren't really imbalanced, you just gotten yourself in such a tight spot that what you had left to deal was not enough. The fault lies with the consequences of earlier events, not with the siege mechanism itself. But yeah, extreme is masochist mode, lol, so that doesn't help either. I myself get frustrated too easily to play on it for long. Lots of respect to those of you who do.

MikeLemmer

I do wonder if early sieges shouldn't have incendiary mortars; those seem too powerful against open forest bases and too weak against mountain bases, while Sieges seem meant to counter holed-up mountain bases.

ShadowTani

Yeah, incendiary is a bit griefy against more open bases, even in late game if you're having a situation and not able to act fast enough. I don't like limiting, disabling or nerfing challenges though, I prefer to instead get more tools to handle these situations.

Like the traitor event that got disabled as an example, it should instead have been worked in a loyalty bar that would increase over time that would start out low after recruiting a prisoner. The problem with that event was that long time colonists could betray you and try to run off as well, which didn't make sense.

But I'm tracking off, sorry. ^^;

MikeLemmer

The underlying problem could be fire as a whole is OP. A single fire will burn the entire map unless you immediately extinguish it, which makes me wonder why there's still any forests around when dying boomrats & lightning cause map-clearing fires. There's also currently no easy way to make a firebreak other than placing concrete or stone tiles everywhere; grass grows back too fast to constantly use Cut Plants as an option, and there's no way to designate a zone to be continuously cleared of plants.

A Friend

Doesn't rain usually pop up to extinguish fires when they get too large? That was usually the reason why incendiary mortars aren't really used that much. It triggers rain before it could do damage to siege camps.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

ShadowTani

Against raider groups out in the open incendiary mortars are bad yes, but against a colony they are very efficient as they are able to strike through roofs and set fire to everything inside where the rain doesn't reach.

PotatoeTater

That's something to expect on hard difficulty. It isn't meant to be fair, but instead a challenge. Try an easier difficulty or become more creative, I know many a ways to defeat a siege, hell you could even call for help through your comms console.
Life is Strange