I really hate needless friendly fire deaths

Started by The Man with No Name, April 13, 2017, 11:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Quote from: A Friend on May 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM
I suggest friendly fire chance be tied to the shooter's skill. The better they are, the lower the chances of ff.

I second this notion.  It would definitely be entertaining to see an intelligence curve where your expert marksmen wait until they have a clean shot while the trigger happy idiot with the minigun and poor aim happily guns down your colonists who are meleeing a rabbit.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Harold3456

Honestly, if there's one thing I have to hand to this game (frustrating though it may be), it's that every infuriating thing that happens to my pawns IS usually my fault. Friendly fire is one of those. I can't think of a single instance of friendly fire that didn't occur because I forgot to undraft a guy, or didn't micro a grenade/molotov thrower properly.

Yeah, it's frustrating, but this game is incredibly straight forward and intuitive about its AI processes (which is more than I can say for a lot of games - I have no clue what went wrong half the time in Castle Story or Banished). If pawns aren't acting how you want, it's always because YOU restricted the wrong thing, didn't prioritize your zones properly, forgot to toggle a switch or (in this case) didn't do a good job of positioning them in the fight and microing their drafts.

PS: In real life, it actually makes a ton of sense for civilian pawns (and most of your pawns have civilian backstories) to friendly fire each other if they're in the same equivalent line of fire, especially under high stress or when wounded. Yeah, friendly fire should be rolled less often the more skilled a shooter your pawn is, but as far as I know this is already in play.

Harold3456

Quote from: Shurp on May 12, 2017, 08:11:44 PM
Quote from: A Friend on May 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM
I suggest friendly fire chance be tied to the shooter's skill. The better they are, the lower the chances of ff.

I second this notion.  It would definitely be entertaining to see an intelligence curve where your expert marksmen wait until they have a clean shot while the trigger happy idiot with the minigun and poor aim happily guns down your colonists who are meleeing a rabbit.

Given that RNG operates on invisible dice rolls, aren't more skilled shooters already less likely to friendly fire by simple virtue of being more likely to hit their intended target?

A Friend

Well if it rolls as a miss then have it roll another time to see if that missed shot will hit a friendly because goddamn, it's jarring for a legendary marksman to shoot his allies 2 times in a row that's just a few yards away.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Modo44

Quote from: Harold3456 on May 13, 2017, 10:19:15 PM
Given that RNG operates on invisible dice rolls, aren't more skilled shooters already less likely to friendly fire by simple virtue of being more likely to hit their intended target?
FF seems to be calculated before target hits, so no.

Shurp

Exactly.  Someone gets in the way of the shot and he's more likely to get plugged regardless of the accuracy of the shooter, or at least that's how it seems.  So what I'm suggesting is that when the FF check goes off, your pawn has a skill/200 % chance of aborting.  And if he does abort a little "shot aborted" text appears over his head for a moment like when someone fails a prisoner recruitment roll.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.