[Experiment] Dark-loving creatures

Started by Justin C, February 19, 2015, 06:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin C

I was inspired by the Darkness mod to experiment with making creatures that try to stick to the shadows. I currently don't plan on making a full mod out of this so I figured I would post it here as an example for anyone who might be planning something similar. There are a plenty of interesting creature ideas that could use this.

Here is a short video showing the result:
http://youtu.be/TKhPHuXkceE

The source is included with the download. I just made one small change to the JobGiver_Wander class to make it check the light level of the destination tile.

Some notes:
- These creatures just prefer the dark. They do not necessarily try to avoid the light.
- They can only find dark places that are nearby. If they are caught out in the open in the middle of the day, they will just wander around aimlessly as usual.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Shinzy

Iggy mite love this for the biodiversity mod ;D

ManWithNoName

Interesting, be good if they only liked the night then you could make a mod like Pitch Black haha.

Could be useful with mountains and finding an unexplored area where a laod of creatures come out and attack you =) if only i could mod =(

Darth Fool

Interesting.  I had contemplated something similar.

yokai

Justin C

Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 19, 2015, 08:14:13 AM
Interesting, be good if they only liked the night then you could make a mod like Pitch Black haha.

Could be useful with mountains and finding an unexplored area where a laod of creatures come out and attack you =) if only i could mod =(
Yeah, I was thinking of something like the Pitch Black creatures. The only issue would be making them flee to the dark at dawn. Since they can only search for nearby dark spots you'd have to keep a list of places that are dark during the day for them to run to when the sun comes up, in case they can't find any dark places nearby.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Dragoon

Dude I've gotta try this out pitch black here we come!
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Viceroy

Wow cool, I inspired stuff!
That means I am finally inspirational! Suck it primary school!

Seriously though can I check under the hood of this monster (lol never thought I'd say that literally) to see what's cookin'?

Also I really am thinking about going into a pitchblack direction. I'm just not sure if my spriting skills will be enough.
Dog goes moo!

Justin C

Quote from: Viceroy on February 19, 2015, 05:16:44 PM
Wow cool, I inspired stuff!
That means I am finally inspirational! Suck it primary school!

Seriously though can I check under the hood of this monster (lol never thought I'd say that literally) to see what's cookin'?

Also I really am thinking about going into a pitchblack direction. I'm just not sure if my spriting skills will be enough.
Learn from it, use it, modify it in any way you want. I posted it here just for that reason. If you need any help understanding what's going on just ask.

Viceroy

Thanks so much dude, I might yet take you up on that offer. I just tried drawing a Bioraptor and let's say it's gonna take a few more tries...

But yeah I really think this game and the universe in general can use more Riddick in 'em.
Dog goes moo!

Evul

Igabod

Quote from: Shinzy on February 19, 2015, 07:03:35 AM
Iggy mite love this for the biodiversity mod ;D

Indeed I do love this. I don't have time to check it out right now, but once I finish updating Xtra Plants and Biodiversity (lots of work to do and need Tynan to release a hotfix for a bug he introduced) I will take a deeper look at this and probably implement it into one particular creepy critter that is in Biodiversity and maybe a couple others. Thanks for doing the work. :)